Author Topic: Introducing ZHOUSE HomeControl  (Read 16302 times)

Offline zhouse

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Introducing ZHOUSE HomeControl
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2012, 07:51:17 pm »
Garett i understand..... really. I told You that it is NOT good solution for us. Really. And we will NOT apply this solution for our app. Please read what i said before.

I understand that U r using this solution and it is good for You, but not for us.

And we cannot take this "compromise". App must be fast as it can.

Offline guessed

• Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2012, 01:35:04 am »
@zhouse,
I've read through this conversation, and Garrett is correct.  Everything else is a hack, and something that has a likelihood of breaking in a future release of MiOS.

Garrett's suggestion is merely to call, out of band, to get the additional supporting metadata when you first see a new device.  This can then be cached to a persistent store, within in the device, so that no subsequent calls need ever be done, ever.

For example, both SQRemote and AutHomation both have similar caches.   Although they're done differently, the caching/intent is the same - not forcing plugin changes, not utilizing something that'll break in future MiOS releases, and to maintain overall performance with minimal first-time-only impact to the user.  I'm sure a number of the other control points are doing the same thing.

Seems like a reasonable internal architecture to have, no?

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2012, 02:02:55 am »
Fast and NOT functional  will get your app removed from a phone.

Messing with properties that can have negative side effects to apps using the properties as intended will get folks to avoid your app like the plague for all eternity.

As a plugin writer I am unlikely to change things to support a remote app.
There are too many out there to allow this type of coupling.
Not to mention that it violates a fundamental design principal.

If you present a use case for new functionality for an end user that's a different story.