We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: more than 1 nest thermostat  (Read 3352 times)

guest15496

more than 1 nest thermostat
« on: January 09, 2013, 08:49:38 pm »
I added a second Nest thermostat to my Nest account, and added a new device from the plugin menu. I then added my login info in the second "N" (upside down U) device.

How many of each device should I now see in the MIOS interface.

I now see two of everything.

Thanks

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
Re: more than 1 nest thermostat
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 11:20:23 pm »
The Nest plugin will detect all the Nest devices you have in your house and automatically create one device per Nest unit it finds.

You don't need to create a new Nest device in Vera.

Offline TheGadgetGuy

• Technology Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 12:24:37 pm »
I just bought two more Nest T-stats, and will be installing them this weekend.  Pretty cool thermostat, that's for sure!

When you think about it, it's funny that we spend so much money on seemingly unneeded gadgets sometimes.  I doubt my wife would be pleased if she knew I installed $750 worth of THERMOSTATS for our house, when the Trane Z-wave t-stats worked just fine!  :)

"Lots of Z wave switches by various companies", 8 Panasonic IP cameras, 4 Schlage locks, 2 Kwikset locks, 3 Z-wave thermometers, 2 5 button Cooper scene controllers, etc.

guest15496

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 07:45:18 pm »
The Nest plugin will detect all the Nest devices you have in your house and automatically create one device per Nest unit it finds.

It will do this at plug-in install time only, or at (that and) any other time that it detects changes in your config during a regular query?

I've deleted all the duplicate devices and they haven't returned.

Offline syyid

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 01:39:42 am »
Not to hijack but from what I understand a Nest account can only support 2 nests, does the plugin support multiple accounts?

Offline watou

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 04:30:19 pm »

It will do this at plug-in install time only, or at (that and) any other time that it detects changes in your config during a regular query?

I've deleted all the duplicate devices and they haven't returned.

One "account" device (with the big lowercase "n") is created at plugin installation time, and is the parent device of all the location, thermostat and humidistat devices associated with your nest.com username.  If you were to create another "account" device and put in the same login credentials, you would get two of every object, and your Vera would be polling nest.com's servers twice as much as it needs to.  (You could of course create an "account" device for Grandma's Nest account and monitor her house from your Vera as well as monitor your own house.)

On every poll of nest.com's servers, if you have added or removed any locations or thermostats in the nest.com UI, they should be added or removed from the Vera UI (which will probably trigger a reload on your Vera).

@syyid I think one Nest account can support up to two locations, and ten thermostats per location.  But just like the Grandma's house solution above, you could work around even that limitation.