Author Topic: New plugin for Dutch Opentherm Thermostat 'Essent / ICY E-Thermostaat' available  (Read 28833 times)

Offline jouked

• Sr. Newbie
For those interested, I just had my plugin for vera published on http://apps.mios.com. This plugin allows you to control the heating mode on your Essent / ICY E-Thermostaat as well as read the current room temperature from the Vera domotica controller.

More detailed information on the plugin can be found at http://dijkstj.home.xs4all.nl/icy/

Suggestions for further development of the plugin are welcome!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:46:27 am by jouked »

Offline watou

For those interested, I just had my plugin for vera published on http://apps.mios.com. This plugin allows you to control the heating mode on your Essent / ICY E-Thermostaat as well as read the current room temperature from the Vera domotica controller.

More detailed information on the plugin can be found at http://dijkstj.home.xs4all.nl/icy/

Suggestions for further development of the plugin are welcome!

Very nice! 

In case you would prefer the temperature display to show degrees and not the percent sign, I learned that your device type has to end in HVAC_ZoneThermostat.  (See http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,12700.15.html.)

watou

Offline apt

Very nice. Now this is the thermostat that I want. I wasn't impressed yet with the other options. Nest has no OpenTherm compatibility, Toon seems to be coupled to some kind of paid service, the Horstman z-wave thermostat seems to require too much fiddling.

One question though: can the motion sensor be deactivated? If I am at my dining room table the thermostat won't see me.
I want Vera to set the temperature based on presence/absence of people rather than relying on a motion sensor in the living room.

Thanks for making this interface.

Offline jouked

• Sr. Newbie
I don't think the motion sensor can be fully deactivated, but you can adjust the time to suppress the effect of the motion sensor up till 990 minutes.

So it's fully possible to override the thermostat settings through vera based on the presence of people.

BTW, I got my thermostat secondhand through marktplaats.nl, prices tend to be about ?100 for practically new units.

Offline apt

That is good news.

Marktplaats is a good idea but I'll have to be careful to obtain the registration information as well. Otherwise the old owner may set my temperature from the remote app...

Or can the registration info be reset?

Offline jouked

• Sr. Newbie
Not sure on that, the seller agreed to pass on his username and password, which I changed after connecting everything. So as long as you have their registration info things will work.

Offline Crismaison

Is it possible to also change the temp via this plugin?
Vera lite - Everspring smoke & flood detectors - Fibaro doorsensors - 2 Foscams - Greenwave 6 node smartplug - Several Switches -Netatmo - PLEG - Twilio - DropBoxuploader - FindmyIphone user

Offline jouked

• Sr. Newbie
I haven't implemented temperature changes, though this would be pretty straightforward to do. As ICY offers their own mobile App to control the thermostat, I didn't see a need for this yet.

Please let me know how you're planning to use this, I might implement this in the next version of the plugin!

Offline Crismaison

Jouked, how I use my thermostaat (not ICY yet, but is ordered because of your plugin) is that I sometimes put the temp lower. When I am alone at night, I put it lower than whem my wife is in the same room (I can then even do it remotely)
Vera lite - Everspring smoke & flood detectors - Fibaro doorsensors - 2 Foscams - Greenwave 6 node smartplug - Several Switches -Netatmo - PLEG - Twilio - DropBoxuploader - FindmyIphone user

Offline jouked

• Sr. Newbie
Even though this can be done very well using the ICY Apps for mobile devices, I feel I should implement this into the plugin. In the end it's best if you can control all from one dashboard!

Not sure on a timeline, this will be implemented though!

Offline Crismaison

Thx, can you also make a nice icon, just like the Nest plugin (this is really nice to have)

Offline jouked

• Sr. Newbie
Once I figure out how to do that I will  ;D

Offline jouked

• Sr. Newbie
To APT: I saw your personal message, however my post count is too low yet to reply to you. You and Screamhouse are the first to acknowledge an interest in using the plugin. The mios app store offers no statistics so that's all I know!

Offline watou

Thx, can you also make a nice icon, just like the Nest plugin (this is really nice to have)

To add a custom icon (50x50 PNG) that can be visible in UI5 no matter if you login locally or via the forwarding mios servers, you have to host the icon on a web server and put the full URL in the device JSON file.  The icon won't show on the Dashboard Overview (beta) page, but it will show everywhere else. 

If you would prefer to install the icon with the plugin, but don't care that it won't be shown when logged in via the forwarding servers, here are RichardTSchaefer's instructions for doing that (from another thread): http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=10508.msg97557#msg97557

watou

Offline jouked

• Sr. Newbie
Great, thanks for that! I think image hosting through apps.mios.com/plugins/icons should do, prevents me from have to maintain the right url! ;)