Author Topic: Plug-in for ecobee thermostats in development  (Read 89342 times)

Offline watou

Re: Plug-in for ecobee thermostats in development
« Reply #645 on: February 10, 2017, 02:35:42 am »
I follow Eceboee's Twitter feed, where they reported server maintenance activities in the last few days.

Offline Aaron

« Reply #646 on: February 10, 2017, 10:15:18 am »
I'm not clear on what the issue is?

1. If there is maintenance on the server side, it forgets the API connection - even though their system still shows the Vera app in my config?
or
2. the Vera plugin fails to communicate and thinks we need to re-do the PIN -- but we really don't and the plugin will reconnect just fine, eventually?
or
3. the Vera plugin fails to communicate and then forces us to re-do the pin and won't try to reconnect even if the API starts working again?

thx

Offline rafale77

« Reply #647 on: February 10, 2017, 11:08:57 am »
Just want to report, I am not seeing any disconnection over the past week...
112 zwave nodes, 8 zigbee nodes, 231 devices, 17 apps, 100 scenes on a Vera Plus linked with Echo and HomeKit through bridges

Offline Aaron

« Reply #648 on: February 12, 2017, 10:34:35 am »
@watou
Did it again yesterday. I reboot twice and waiting until this morning... I had to re-do the pin for it to work again :(

how can e troubleshoot this?

thx

Offline watou

« Reply #649 on: February 12, 2017, 10:40:10 am »
@watou
Did it again yesterday. I reboot twice and waiting until this morning... I had to re-do the pin for it to work again :(

how can e troubleshoot this?

thx

I'm afraid that I don't have more advice than what had been said earlier on this thread: find why the LuaUPnP process is exiting abnormally, and/or get the Vera people to properly save device variables when written.

Offline NewfD90

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #650 on: February 15, 2017, 03:50:01 pm »
So mine has disconnected a handful of times since I installed it last fall.  I sigh and login to the ecobee website, delete the vera auth and re-add.  Things are good for a while.

However, short of deleting the device (which I don't want to do as it'll mess up my PLEGs), I'm not sure how to fix the latest disconnect.

The UI5 status box gives me the oh so familiar:

ecobee : Not yet authorized. Press 'Get PIN' once; wait for PIN; enter at ecobee.com.

However, when I go to the device, there is no Get PIN.  Status wise, it looks like it's still connected, yet I know it's not (none of the controls work).

Any advice as to how to make the device go into Get PIN mode?

Offline watou

« Reply #651 on: February 15, 2017, 04:01:17 pm »
So mine has disconnected a handful of times since I installed it last fall.  I sigh and login to the ecobee website, delete the vera auth and re-add.  Things are good for a while.

However, short of deleting the device (which I don't want to do as it'll mess up my PLEGs), I'm not sure how to fix the latest disconnect.

ecobee : Not yet authorized. Press 'Get PIN' once; wait for PIN; enter at ecobee.com.

However, when I go to the device, there is no Get PIN.  Status wise, it looks like it's still connected, yet I know it's not (none of the controls work).

On UI5, I get the Get PIN button.  Try fully refreshing your browser in case there is some connection issue.

Offline Aaron

« Reply #652 on: February 15, 2017, 04:05:52 pm »
I've gotten the error again several time this week... I'll see if I can find the issue documented in the Lua log

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Offline jcolter

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #653 on: February 15, 2017, 06:43:57 pm »
I've had a couple disconnects over the last few weeks as well and had to resync via the ecobee website.

Offline NewfD90

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #654 on: February 16, 2017, 10:21:04 am »

On UI5, I get the Get PIN button.  Try fully refreshing your browser in case there is some connection issue.

Like I said, I normally do.  But in this disconnect case I don't.  I've restarted Vera and refreshed lots of times.

So short of deleting and re-adding, is there anyway to kick the device into re-auth mode?

Offline Aaron

« Reply #655 on: February 16, 2017, 08:36:35 pm »
@watou
Log attached, I didnt see anything that pointed me to why the ecobee auth needs to be redone almost daily... but I'm sure you will have better luck.

thx for the help!

Offline Mike Yeager

« Reply #656 on: February 17, 2017, 10:47:55 am »
I'm not sure what the issue is lately, but I've had to reauthorize mine a few times over the last two weeks. Is there a variable we can monitor to alert as to when contact is lost? It would be great if there was a way to automatically reauthorize the unit, but I doubt Ecobee would allow that...

Offline watou

« Reply #657 on: February 17, 2017, 10:59:06 am »
If users of the Ecobee plugin could convince the Vera folks to make sure that device variables written by Luup code are stored to disk reliably, I strongly believe that these issues will stop.  The plugin just writes device variables with new access and refresh tokens every hour, but sometimes the writes are not saved permanently but instead revert to the old tokens.  This is a long-running bug in the Vera firmware.  What do you do when you can't rely on persistent storage of device variables?  Vera should fix this firmware bug, which was reported a very, very long time ago.

Offline Mike Yeager

« Reply #658 on: February 17, 2017, 11:02:00 am »
If I were to install the plugin on my OpenLuup box, I wouldn't have the issue? I could then simply mirror it to the Vera, correct?

Offline watou

« Reply #659 on: February 17, 2017, 11:13:22 am »
If I were to install the plugin on my OpenLuup box, I wouldn't have the issue? I could then simply mirror it to the Vera, correct?

If the people who implemented OpenLuup made it so luup.variable_set(...) can be counted on to write the variable so future reads will read the correct result, and if OpenLuup supports encrypted source files like is required in this plugin's case, then it's certainly possible!