Author Topic: Living With Vera - Tip Of The Day  (Read 59758 times)

Offline RexBeckett

• Master Member
Re: Living With Vera - Tip Of The Day
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2013, 07:56:56 pm »
There is a module buried deep in Vera's code that implements Murphy's Law. It will fire whenever you attempt to demonstrate the beauty of your home automation to a techno-sceptic. It is also triggered, in some mysterious way, when you leave town for a day or two. The code refers to special sensors that can detect when you really don't have time to fix your broken lighting, heating and security systems.

Like all manifestations of Murphy's Law, there is no way to circumvent it however predictable it may seem.  ;D

Offline nullx8

• Trouble !
    • 0x8
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2013, 08:49:22 pm »
.... demonstrate the beauty of your home automation to a techno-sceptic. It is also triggered, in some mysterious way, when you leave town for a day or two. The code refers to special sensors that can detect when you really don't have time

That made my day !! And above that, its so very very true :)

Btw. I did hear myself saying serval times in reply to "in-law's behavour issues" with my 9 months old daugter, that its actually really simple to make a place "baby proof" but its very very difficult to make somethings "idiot proof"

Non-rational behavour (loss of common sense) gives you and the vera a really hard time.
I guess the "Murphy implementation" is just Veras way to shoot back :)
1 VeraLite, 2 RaspberryPI, Harmony Remote, openLuup, 85 Devices, 34Nodes, 63 Triggers, 49 Scenes

Offline Cor

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2013, 04:49:22 am »
There is a module buried deep in Vera's code that implements Murphy's Law.

;D   +1

Offline shady

• Beta Testers
  • This monkey knows his Window Coverings!
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2013, 08:58:32 pm »
When Vera is not cooperating, give it some time alone. Walk away, go get a beverage, maybe take in a movie or a good night's sleep. Very often when you come back Vera will have sorted itself out and responded to whatever you were trying to do.

Agreed, I practice GMS (go make sandwich) when Vera is not responsive, or after I add a device.  The web interface is sluggish, but that isn't the problem when a new device half populates in the UI or your app-based remote controls stop responding.  For the new user it isn't obvious that Vera is busy or choking on data.  I have the same problem with PCs and laptops today as I miss hearing the hard drive tick away as an indicator of sluggishness like we had a few years back (now I have to look to see if a LED is solid, not as handy as just listening).

@RexBeckett yes, how often have all of us proudly said to our friends and relatives, "You see, I just push this button and...hold on, I was adjusting things before you came over and I may have gummed things up, I'll be right back."  Or...  "See this app, it is cool you can do A, B, and...wait do I have WiFi, yes, well, hmmm, Vera must be busy I'll just describe what would have happened."  Then when alone with Vera, she has almost no latency and everything fires the first time.  I think it was brilliant to have given the system a female name as it often reminds me of the 80's John Carpenter movie "Christine" as Vera only seems to show her owner love.
Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set

Offline chixxi

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2013, 01:05:56 am »
...how often have all of us proudly said to our friends and relatives, "You see, I just push this button and...hold on, I was adjusting things before you came over and I may have gummed things up, I'll be right back."  Or...  "See this app, it is cool you can do A, B, and...wait do I have WiFi, yes, well, hmmm, Vera must be busy I'll just describe what would have happened."  Then when alone with Vera, she has almost no latency and everything fires the first time....

I have to confirm this, my vera really seems to love me, but if somebody she's not used to is arround she takes all the power she has in order to emphasize her apparent jealousy.  :o
Developer of Plugins: Virtual Switch, Variable Container, Popcorn Hour Remote, Vacation Ghost. => PLUGINS HAVE BEEN UNPUBLISHED BY ME.

Offline PaulMcT

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2013, 08:53:55 am »
I have been reading this forum for a couple of years and just today noticed a shortcut that saves time when browsing the forum. To the far right of the message topics there is an icon that when clicked will bring you to the last post of the topic.

Paul

Offline ih8gates

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2013, 09:29:07 am »
When I'm working on a PLEG or some Luup. I often need the ID of a scene or device. I've found that a quick search through the output of this URL is a quick way to find that kind of info:

http://IP-OF-VERA:3480/data_request?id=user_data2&output_format=xml

Offline parkerc

• Sr. Hero Member
  • Life Moves Pretty Fast....
    • Node Central
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2013, 02:54:44 am »
Tip No. ??

If possible avoid using the ERGY feature in a Vera, it seems to cause more problems than it's worth.

Offline parkerc

• Sr. Hero Member
  • Life Moves Pretty Fast....
    • Node Central
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2014, 02:41:07 am »
Tip No. ??

Plugins/Apps such as InfoViewer and EventWatcher are a good way to see a bit more detail behind the scenes of your Vera unit and your HA set up.

Offline n0ir

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2014, 10:52:47 am »
Think first about WHAT you want to achive. THEN think about how to achive it using different devices and configurations. Sometimes it is easy as a nerd to get caught up in the technical joy of gadgets and the endless possibilities of the system, but my mantra is to build a smart home that is (almost) invisible and just works. It should facilitate your life, but in a automatic and non-intrusive way.

Offline nullx8

• Trouble !
    • 0x8
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2014, 11:18:52 am »
Think first about WHAT you want to achive.

very true !
its actually quite disapointing, how easy most things are to accomplish ;)

the main challenge in a "Automated home" is how to detect human behavour, anything else is just simple luup ;)
1 VeraLite, 2 RaspberryPI, Harmony Remote, openLuup, 85 Devices, 34Nodes, 63 Triggers, 49 Scenes

Offline a-lurker

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2014, 02:59:54 am »
Tip #

When testing Lua code via the "Test Luup code(Lua)" in the user interface (UI5).

Always end your code with "return true". Otherwise you can't tell the difference between a successful run of the code or a code parse error.

Offline melsman

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2014, 07:00:51 pm »
Here's a few things that would have saved me a lot of time had I known them:

First, as was said earlier in this thread, RUN - don't walk, from the ERGY program/plug-in! It caused a lot of problems with my Vera and many hours of troubleshooting - and it never worked correctly anyway. Use the "Usage" tab under the "Energy" menu item to access Vera's internal energy monitoring. That's assuming, of course, that you've entered "energy used" in the "Settings" area of the devices you want to monitor.

Second, buy a cheap small USB memory stick (8 GB SanDisk Cruzer Fit for $8.00 on Amazon) and activate USB logging.  Then, use http://[INSERT YOUR VERA IP HERE]/cgi-bin/cmh/log.sh?Device=LuaUPnP to view the command actions log as they happen. That's how I figured out the the ERGY plug-in was swamping my system with garbage calls.

Third: The device ID number is assigned by MiOS and is used in Luup programming.  The AltID# is the same as the Node# and is used in the Z-wave network to identify the device.  For example, one of my switches has a Device ID#49, but a Node# (altid) 28.  When I program a Luup routine, I refer to the device ID#49.  When MiOS sends commands to the device, it talks to it using its Node ID#28.  That's important to know when viewing logs.

I'm going to disagree with many and say that programming scenes in UI5 is easier than using Richard's PLEG.  Though I commend Richard for the job he's done (this community owes him a lot), PLEG is not very easy to figure out. But, with Rex's sample Luup codes, building UI5 scenes with conditional logic was easier for me. (YMMV).  If you do use PLEG, be sure to load the Logic Core plug-in also.  PLEG needs this to work.

Melsman

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 04:15:20 pm by melsman »

Offline esc

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2014, 06:47:44 am »
But, with Rex's sample Luup codes, building UI5 scenes with conditional logic was easier for me. (YMMV).  If you do use PLEG, be sure to load the Logic Core plug-in also.  PLEG needs this to work.

Melsman

stupid question: Where do I find Rex's sample Luup code?

Offline RexBeckett

• Master Member
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2014, 06:52:57 am »
But, with Rex's sample Luup codes, building UI5 scenes with conditional logic was easier for me. (YMMV).  If you do use PLEG, be sure to load the Logic Core plug-in also.  PLEG needs this to work.

Melsman

stupid question: Where do I find Rex's sample Luup code?

Right here.  ;)