We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Support for Trane/Schlage Thermostat: TZEMT400AB32MA.  (Read 23424 times)

Offline ubiquityman

Support for Trane/Schlage Thermostat: TZEMT400AB32MA.
« on: August 16, 2009, 03:16:45 am »
I submitted a support issue several weeks ago through Vera to request for support of this thermostat.

Although I'm glad that the thermostat is working now with the AUTO & ON commands in the recent version of firmware 1.0.862, the 
ability to switch the fan to CYCLE mode is still absent.

Would it be possible for MCV to add this support?

Offline micasaverde

Re: Support for Trane/Schlage Thermostat: TZEMT400AB32MA.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 11:26:14 am »
I'm not sure.  I have the RCS thermostat which is, I understand, identical to the Trane.  I think Trane is OEM'ing it from RCS.  I don't see a 'cycle fan' option though.  When I hit the 'fan' button, there's just 'on' and 'auto'.  What's the button sequence you use on the Trane to go into this mode.

I'm look at the latest Z-Wave spec for the thermostat fan command and there's no "cycle mode", which means it might be something you can only do at the panel and not through Z-Wave.  However, for the thermostat mode commands there a "Fan Only – Only cycle fan to circulate air".  This might be what you want.  But it precludes you from also having cool/heat because it's an alternate mode.  If you want to force your thermostat to this mode to see what it does, go to the Setup, Devices button, locate the thermostat and note the 'Node ID'.  Then copy this link into your browser substituting the actual node id for 'x' in Node=x, and substituting the actual ip address.  You'll see a number on the web page if it was successful.  On my RCS it doesn't do anything.  But maybe it does something on the Trane.

http://ipaddress:49451/data_request?id=lu_action&DeviceNum=1&serviceId=urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1&action=SendData&Node=x&Data=x40-x1-6

Offline ubiquityman

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 03:54:00 pm »
The Trane and the RCS look identical, and the instructions as far as I can tell are the same.

To enable the CYCLE mode, you have to first enter the thermostat's "hidden" INSTALLER SETTINGS mode.

It's a special mode that allow further configuration:
http://part2.schlage.com/docs/Thermostat_User_Manual-a.pdf
It's page 24/35 in the PDF or page 27 in the "printed page":

ie.
1) Go to the MENU selection screen on the thermostat by pressing the soft [MENU] button on the far left.
2) In the MENU screen, the two inner (middle) buttons will have blank soft menus.  Hold these two middle keys for several seconds until the INSTALLER SETTINGS screen appears.
3) scroll down to the FAN CYCLER item and [SELECT] that.
4) Set a nonzero number in the FAN ON time (and adjust the FAN OFF time as appropriate).  Once a non-zero number is enters for the FAN ON time, upon returning to the main screen of the thermostat, the CYCLE option will appear in the fan selection options:  AUTO, ON, CYCLE.

My guess/hope is that the COMMAND_CLASS_THERMOSTAT_FAN_MODE has an additional ID for enabling the CYCLE mode.  (possibly the next one in the sequence)

Let me know if you are successful or not in getting into the installer mode.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 03:55:34 pm by ubiquityman »

Offline ubiquityman

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 11:50:11 pm »
MCV,

I'm wondering if you have had a chance to try enabling the CYCLE mode for the FAN?

Offline ASIHome

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 11:16:18 am »
There is a Z-Wave command to set the Fan to Cycle.

Offline zmistro

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 12:51:22 pm »
There is?  I don't see that one in my Zensys documentation? where do you see it.

Offline ASIHome

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 01:11:06 pm »
I can see/control it with HyperTerminal and a VRZ0P. Once you have set the Fan Cycler ON time so something other than 0 (which you can also set via Z-Wave btw), you then can send the Z-Wave command to set the t-stat into Cycler mode. I have to find out if I am allowed to share the list of other things that you can control via Z-Wave.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 01:15:55 pm by ASIHome »

Offline jgdurbin

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 07:19:11 pm »
There appears to be several topics regarding updating the interface to the Trane Thermostats, especially the elusive fan cycle option.  ASIHome alludes that he has insiders knowledge, but doesn't appear able to share with the wider audience.  The question is why doesn't micasaverde have this same insider knowledge?  Or how can we, the community, get insight?  Or have I not yet found the thread where this problem is solved (please point me in the right direction!).

I messed around and cleaned up several files (attached) for the main interface (I am running a new vera with 1.1.1047).  NOTE: I did NOT update the version numbers, as they are not official releases.  I am also working on cleaning up the smart phone interface (will be posted "soon").

Fan Cycle is indicated, but doesn't (yet) work.  Changes are primarily formatting and very minor functionality.

Offline kbmcguire

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 09:20:22 pm »
@jgdurbin,
I'm in the same boat as you, I would like to be able to set the mode to "Fan Cycler" but the option is not available from the UI.  I tried to work around it by using luup code and although I was able to set the Fan Mode to ON or AUTO using luup commands, I couldn't get it to go to the CYCLE mode.  I contacted tech support and they dug through the Vera logs and found that even though I was sending a "PeriodicOn" command from the luup code, the command actually going out to the thermostat was for "ContinuousOn".  Tech support created a ticket for it (ID 0001410, created on 2-17-2011) and I've heard nothing since.

Here are the commands if your interested:
FAN ON
luup.call_action("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:HVAC_FanOperatingMode1","SetMode",{ NewMode"ContinuousOn" },10)  <-Change the 10 to match your thermostat's ID

FAN AUTO
luup.call_action("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:HVAC_FanOperatingMode1","SetMode",{ NewMode"Auto" },10)  <-Change the 10 to match your thermostat's ID

FAN CYCLE (Doesn't work)
luup.call_action("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:HVAC_FanOperatingMode1","SetMode",{ NewMode"PeriodicOn" },10)  <-Change the 10 to match your thermostat's ID

Maybe if enough people complain, it will get fixed.  Squeaky wheel gets the grease.  :)

Regards,
kbmcguire

Offline ASIHome

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 09:49:26 am »
You have to set the Fan ON Time for something greater than 0 for the Fan Cycle to work properly.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 10:09:29 am »
You have to set the Fan ON Time for something greater than 0 for the Fan Cycle to work properly.
Right. But it doesn't seem switchable through Z-Wave (it just goes to ContinuousOn mode). Or is that working for you?
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline pgrover516

• Beta Testers
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 01:10:47 pm »
I would like this functionality also
V1,V2,V3,VLite,Express Controls HSM-100,Intermatic HA20C, HA04C,HA02C,HA09, Leviton VRP15-1LW, VRS15-1LX,Home Manageables HM-TS001,Schlage FE599, Schlage BE369, Cooper RF9500, Aeon Labs Minimote, Schlage TZEMT400AB32MAA+more

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 01:14:53 pm »
I would like this functionality also
Unfortunately, ticket 1410 is not viewable (or at least not for me); so unclear if it's even assigned.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline ASIHome

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 01:30:15 pm »
Have you tried using the numeric values for the modes instead of those text identifiers?

0 = Auto
1 = On
2 = Cycle

Offline Ap15e

• Beta Testers
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 02:28:08 pm »
According to the UPnP specification the implementation of 'PeriodicOn' is optional.

Bug report #1410 doesn't seem to exist.