Author Topic: Danalock?  (Read 41379 times)

Offline robertmm

• Sr. Newbie
Danalock?
« on: December 09, 2013, 11:56:06 pm »
Has anybody tried the Danalock from poly-control.com? They have Bluetooth, Z-Wave, and combination versions for both Europe and US. They mention Vera (and the documentation includes Vera screenshots) -- but with locks, the devil is in the details so I thought I'd ask here first.

I'd be interested in battery life and whether the Bluetooth mode requires interaction with the phone, or whether it activates by just bringing the phone near it.

Thanks,
Robert

Offline polycontrol

Re: Danalock?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 05:17:47 am »
Hi,

The units operates perfectly with Vera.
They will fir almost any deadbolt, scandinavian model or europrofile cylinder.
You are always welcome to sent us a picture and specs of your lock, mail@danalock.com, and we will confirm the compatibility.
The battery lifetime is up to 2 years. Testet to last a least 1 year.

Hope this was helpful.
Best regards
Hans Overgaard
DanaLock

Offline intveltr

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 07:26:56 am »
These look like nice locks at a great price.  A question: how well do these work with 3 point locking mechanisms?  These often require a bit more torque to operate.  One type of mechanism requires 2 full turns of the key to open the door.  Can the Danalock cope with that?

Another type requires the door handle to be lifted before the door can be locked.  If the handle wasn't lifted and Danalock tries to lock the door, it should stop (and report an unlocked state) rather than wear out the battery or strip its gears trying to turn the lock.  Does it react properly to this type of situation?
HomeWave is available in the App Store!  Turn your iPhone/iPad into an easy-to-use remote control for Vera.

Offline polycontrol

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 02:23:58 am »
Hi,
It works very well with 3 point locks, i have one my self:-)
You have to lift the handle to close, and the auto lock work like any other lock mechanism.
You can make the DanaLock turn as many times as you wish.

We are using a stepper motor, and NOT a DC motor. This is the only right solution for door locks, as this will prevent the gears from being destroyed, if the door is not closed/locked properly etc.

Hope this was helpful.
BR
DanaLock team

Offline intveltr

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 06:29:51 pm »
I ordered one to play with  :)  My main challenge will be to get it fitted to an existing Euro cylinder, as I don't want to have to replace the ones I have now (all keyed to a single key). Will post some pics when done.
HomeWave is available in the App Store!  Turn your iPhone/iPad into an easy-to-use remote control for Vera.

Offline ntk

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 12:20:22 pm »
I also order one with there cylinder, I hope the cylinder is good and not poor quality

The lock look really good, and the price is also good, need to receive it tomorrow

I also want to buy the key pad they need to release next year

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 12:25:38 pm by ntk »

Offline capjay

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 02:07:16 am »
I ordered one to play with  :)  My main challenge will be to get it fitted to an existing Euro cylinder, as I don't want to have to replace the ones I have now (all keyed to a single key). Will post some pics when done.

looking forward to hearing about your experiences with this. I have a similar setup, and if it works, I'd like to install it in 3-4 doors.

Offline robertmm

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 12:41:06 am »
I got mine today (the round one with Bluetooth and Z-Wave) and attached it to my garage entry. This is an interior metal door, so the deadbolt turns really smoothly and the door doesn't change across seasons, and the temperatures are moderate.

My initial impressions are mixed (I will follow up once I hear from support).
- Super fast shipping (but also a bit pricey). Direct from Denmark.
- There are more plastic parts than I would like; the screws that attach the unit to its base plate are very light weight.
- They include a screwdriver set and a deadbolt (both of questionable quality...) but no instructions. Of note, the included deadbolt has a keyway that is neither Kwikset nor Schlage. In the interest of reducing shipping cost from Denmark, I would suggest leaving these items out. [Edit] The box alone with screwdriver and deadbolt, without the lock, weighs 26 oz (738 g).
- The lock itself is heavy, and thicker than I would have expected. The front unfortunately is a black plastic plate that doesn't look that great, but the side ring feels solid. Picture something that is thicker than a Nest thermostat but not as polished, slim or sleek.

I was unsuccessful pairing the lock with Vera (high power and low power inclusion, expert inclusion with extra long timeouts etc.). I may have gotten the wrong (EU) version, and emailed support for help. Perhaps I'm just not doing it right. [Edit] They confirmed they DID send the wrong version, and asked me to send it back. I politely suggested just swapping the circuit board (and I don't want to pay for international shipping for the box for what is their screwup).

I CAN control the lock using Bluetooth, but have not figured out whether it has a proximity "auto open" function (keyless entry without the app by just bringing the phone near). I was really hoping it did. Another question for support. [Edit] They confirmed that that functionality is "not enabled yet in the app" and that they're working on it. It would sure be nice if the web site actually said so instead of promising this feature. I'm using an iPhone 4S btw.

I had success attaching it to my Schlage B60 deadbolt, but it took me a while. The original B60 tailpiece is too long, and the Danalock doesn't work without the tailpiece extender (which also has to be flush with the base plate), so you either need to cut the original tailpiece or use a shorter one. I used the one from the included deadbolt and grafted that onto the Schlage, at least this way it's good for something. I had to experiment with the angle, 130 degrees seem to be about right for my deadbolt, even though the real thumb turn only needs 90 degrees. Turn direction wasn't obvious either but the two settings are quick to try. The Danalock works in the second fastest setting due to the low torque required for this bolt (but not the fastest setting, it'll just beep for help). I could see the device struggling a bit more with my front door.

I'm hoping to get the Z-Wave issue resolved and will report back when I learn more.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 09:28:03 am by robertmm »

Offline ntk

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 06:13:30 am »
I also receive my lock, I have no problem with Vera, but I have problems with the bluetooth, when I'm trying to add this lock to my tablet with there app, nothing happen, I can see the lock and then I need to choose a name for the lock, but then it stuck in "NEGOTIATING WITH YOUR DANALOCK", I send them an email, and they told me that my device does not support LE bluetooth, but I have Nexus 7 v2 (2013 model) and it have bluetooth 4.0 with LE, and also have android 4.4.2 (support bluetooth LE from Android 4.3) so I don't know what is the problem, my phone still with 4.2,so I can't install the app at all, I hope this not problem with the lock

The cylinder they send me did not fit my door (I send them pictures of the cylinder and the door, they say it will fit) anyway I remove the tail from there cylinder and I attached it to my cylinder (will show pic later today or tomorrow) the lock turn really slow, but I guess that this is the best it can do when powered by batteries

My door lock is really hard to turn, and the motor turn it all the way in 25 sec, the button on the motor is really hard to press with the plastic cover

This is my first zwave lock, so I don't know if this is the same in all the locks, but if I press the button on the lock or turn it manually the status in Vera will not change, so I can't see the status of the lock, this is a problem because if you press lock/unlock when the lock is already lock/unlock the motor will try to turn anyway for 25 sec (depending on the time you set it to turn, for me is 25 sec) and you also cannot stop it, so I don't know if this will not destroy the motor

The lock look nice, and it's working good, but it's really disappointing that I can't see the real status in Vera, and that it will keep trying to turn even when the lock already unlock/lock

Also I forgot to say that in Vera I see the battery level on 0%

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 06:23:21 am by ntk »

Offline intveltr

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 11:32:29 am »
Bah, didn't get mine yet :(

Offline flyveleder

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 12:59:39 pm »
if you press lock/unlock when the lock is already lock/unlock the motor will try to turn anyway
I have programmed my Vera (using PLEG) to only lock/unlock if the door is not already; Meaning - that you press LOCK it will only try to do if it is UNLOCKED ...

My only problem currently is that the state doesn't change if you are using the thumbturn (or real key) to lock/unlock it. Danalock promised to look into this feature ;-)

I will come a more detailed review of the lock in a short while.

Brgds,
Martin

Offline gibby

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 05:41:38 pm »
if you press lock/unlock when the lock is already lock/unlock the motor will try to turn anyway
I have programmed my Vera (using PLEG) to only lock/unlock if the door is not already; Meaning - that you press LOCK it will only try to do if it is UNLOCKED ...

My only problem currently is that the state doesn't change if you are using the thumbturn (or real key) to lock/unlock it. Danalock promised to look into this feature ;-)

Brgds,
Martin

I ordered one of these last week, I am wondering since the state does not change when using the thumbturn or real key, why not when you send LOCK just always lock no matter the state? Or every X minutes send a LOCK anyways to make sure it is secure at all times.

Offline tinraz

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 04:10:34 pm »
Hi Guys,

I will jump in to this discussion to share my experience with both the Danalock Circle and Square version.

Personally I prefer the Square version because its more slimmed and it fits better on my security door (The circle version was to close to my door frame)

Circle : https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=573796399369439

Square: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=582044335211312

I have been using the Circle for a few weeks and now I have been using the Square for a Week and I'm very happy that I went with the square version. it fits perfectly for my needs.

My settings are
Mode : Normal
Direction : Clockwise
Turn degrees : 80
Auto Lock time : 0
Speed : Medium
Sound : On

Specially the Vera Light connection together with scenes makes it very practical. Locking door turns of the light by the door after 15 sec. Opening will turn on the light.

I have to say that I'm a newbie in home automation. So I'm learning as I move on...

Best regards
TinRaz

Offline sdholden

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 03:30:08 pm »
I've just installed my Danalock, and so far, well, I'm not sure yet. It is mounted, and it functions. I had quite a bit of trouble getting it added to my vera lite, but that was finally accomplished, and after adjusting some settings, its working well. The bluetooth is another story. I have a Galaxy s4, running Android 4.3 w/BTLE. I run the setup on the app, add the lock, it finds it, then sits on "negotiating with danalock" forever. Never goes past it. I've seen another review in the play store saying the same thing, and it looks like there's one here as well, where danalock replied that the android device was unsupported. I could kind of go with that, while it still would be a very very dificult thing to stomach, considering the S4 is so prevalent. However, I have a bone stock iphone5 also, that exhibits EXACTLY the same behavior, and the iphone5 is clearly listed as being supported, and I am running the latest IOS. I have reset the device by pressing the center button until i get 5 beeps, and I've even cycled power completely by removing the batteries. No change. I left the iphone on "negotiating with danalock", literally sitting on the lock itself, and checked it this morning. Still on screen, "negotiating with danalock". There's no other bluetooth settings I'm aware of that I can adjust. So what do I do? I've done all the phone specific things, powered off, rebooted, cycled bluetooth on and off. Even performed a factory wipe of the iphone, no difference. Defective unit? How do I proceed? I've emailed danalock, but their email responses are a little slow, and I see perhaps a danalock employee in this thread so I thought I'd drop a line here.

Offline sdholden

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 04:02:34 pm »

Brgds,
Martin

I ordered one of these last week, I am wondering since the state does not change when using the thumbturn or real key, why not when you send LOCK just always lock no matter the state? Or every X minutes send a LOCK anyways to make sure it is secure at all times.

If the lock is already locked, the danalock attempts to lock it, it either completed the entire sequence, with the motor stalled and struggling, or it attempts it and gives up, depending on the torque provided/required. Neither of these things is a good thing to be doing at regular intervals throughout every single day, for battery logevity, and for motor wear. Checking the state, and then only performing an action when necessary, is a much better method. You wouldn't drive your car into the back wall of the garage every two hours, just to make sure you were in far enough.