Author Topic: 'virtual' 3 way switch?  (Read 1796 times)

Offline bds42

'virtual' 3 way switch?
« on: February 04, 2014, 03:37:06 pm »
Hiya-

I have 2 separate light fixtures in one hallway.  Each has light a single light switch connected to it.   Can I make these 2 loads work like they are on 3 way switches? So if I press switch 1, both lights come on, if I press switch 2, both lights go off, and vice versa?

I'm assuming if this would work that I'd need switches that do 'instant status'.  What switches would you recommend for this?

Thanks much,
Bill

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
Re: 'virtual' 3 way switch?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 04:07:42 pm »
I should be able to accomplish what you describe by using a Leviton VRS15-1LZ 15A Scene Capable Switch on each circuit/light. By associating the two switches, they should work in near unison with either switch turning them both On and Off together.

Edit: Instant Status would not be required for the above to work, only the associations. However, the added benefit of Instant Status to update Vera for use in scenes or triggers would be a bonus. These Levitons support Instant Status.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 04:10:48 pm by Z-Waver »

Offline bds42

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 04:31:59 pm »
Thanks for the reply, ZWaver.

One question: Are those switches dimmable?  Or does switch mean switch and I need to find a 'dimmer' that does has the same capability as the one you mention?

Offline SM2k

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 04:52:41 pm »
Thanks for the reply, ZWaver.

One question: Are those switches dimmable?  Or does switch mean switch and I need to find a 'dimmer' that does has the same capability as the one you mention?

The VRS15-1L does not dim. It is an on-off switch only. for dimming of incandescent loads of up to 600W, you might use the VRI06-1L. I am using both in my house and can confirm they work very well.

Offline bds42

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 07:53:34 pm »
Great! Thanks for the help so far.  So I've ordered some of those VRI-06 dimmers.

Here's another question: when you say "By associating the two switches, they should work in near unison with either switch turning them both On and Off together" ... What do you mean associating them?  Is this doing something fancy via PLEG or is this something else?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 11:29:29 pm »
Vesternet's Z-Wave Groups, Scenes & Associations explains the details quite well.

Basically you are programming one scene controller switch to control another Z-Wave device(s). This is directly between the switch and the device(s) and is independent of Vera or Vera's scenes. In your specific case, each switch would be associated to control the other.

Offline oTi@

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 09:43:58 am »
But can a VRI06 control another VRI06 (i.e. switch-to-switch vs. controller-to-switch)?
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 10:13:11 am »
But can a VRI06 control another VRI06 (i.e. switch-to-switch vs. controller-to-switch)?
The Leviton VRI06-1LZ 600W Incandescent  Dimmer, being scene-capable should also be able to be associated and control another VRI06, however I have not tested this.