Author Topic: Guide for installing Foscam 8910W and 8918W as camera and motion sensor.  (Read 40999 times)

Offline Dvbit

Thumbs up .
Great guide.
Got my cam back into vera after ui5 upgrade
Vera2, Many Fibaro switches, OpenSprinkler, Foscam, Kodi, Harmony Remote, Fritzbox, DreamBox...

Offline kirkla79

• Sr. Newbie
I am no images on one of my 8910's and my 8918.

I have deleted and re-added them, the username and passwords are correct, ip and port information is correct.

No matter what I do I still cannot get any image to appear.

My other 8910 works perfectly without issue when following this guide.

All are on the most current system firmware (11.37.2.59) and web UI (2.0.10.12).

All work normally when viewing through browser and ip cam viewer app.

Any ideas on what might be causing this issue?

Offline kirkla79

• Sr. Newbie
For some reason my other 8910 began to work today, but still no luck with 8918.

Offline undertoe

• GitHub for My Vera Plugins
Give this a try http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,25828.0.html

With blue iris as your DVR hub, vera meshes great with it for seamless camera control and motion sensor of all different camera types
Check out my vera plugins: Roomba Plugin, Roomba Thinking Cleaner Plugin, Blue Iris Cam Plugin

Offline rd

• Sr. Newbie
I am trying to follow the guide and originally had the FosCam plugin installed along with the VistaCam and Panasonic Camera plugins. I uninstalled all but the Foscam plugin and when I goto add a camera it does not list "Foscam Camera" in the drop down for Camera type. I have tried various uninstalls and reboots of the Vera since, then reinstalling the Foscam plugin and still no luck. The list still shows the Panasonic and VistaCam types, but no Foscam. I even verified that there were no other camera files in the /etc/cmh* directories, at least as far as I could tell.

Any thoughts to help?

I'm having the exact same issue with only VistaCam, Panasonic, Generic and Other showing.  Were you able to fix this? 

Offline Wekurtz74

Hey pentium,
Thanks for an amazing guide, everything was working fine with me, however I cannot see any video on the Foscam Camera (FI8910W). the camara works since i can see it if I access it directly. Do you have any idea of what may be causing this problem?
Regards

Have you solved this problem?  I seem to have the exact same issue.  I have the latest firmwares 11.37.2.59 and web UI 2.0.10.12 on my FI8916W but it doesn't work.   I have tried adding the port to the URL -- no results.

Thanks.  This is a fantastic guide, but I can't get it work for the camera.

Offline pentium

I'm not sure if you noticed, but your camera will get different ip addresses depending upon if it is connected via cable and via wireless.  So, it is possible that you could be getting one ip address while it is connected to your router and when you take it to the new site it gets a 'wireless' ip address as it starts up.  If you bring up the foscam application, it will show the ip address that it is using for that camera.  This is the ip address that must be coded into the vera device parameters.  Just a guess but something I had to always watch for.  One of the things that I did was to assign a fixed ip address to the wireless listing in the router so that wouldn't change on me.  In summary, when it isn't working one thing to check is that the ip address in the foscam app is the same as what you have coded in the device.

Offline Wekurtz74

Thanks for the reply.  I have ruled out the incorrect IP address as an issue.  It may be that assigning a static IP address may "do something" that allows it to work, but the IP address itself, for the purposes of my test config, is correct.

Offline pentium

Do you have anything coded in the mac address?  I do and I can't remember what exactly that fixed, but it did cause vera to quit changing something.  I copied the mac address that the foscam app said because it seemed like there were also two possible mac addresses but i could be wrong on that.

Offline Wekurtz74

Do you have anything coded in the mac address?  I do and I can't remember what exactly that fixed, but it did cause vera to quit changing something.  I copied the mac address that the foscam app said because it seemed like there were also two possible mac addresses but i could be wrong on that.
I tried with adding the address after going through the steps. No luck.

This may seem stupid, but in the instructions in the first post, do you replace <user> and <password>  with the actual in all instances?  I did not do it while specifying the URL as I thought those represent variables.  Going back after following the guide to add the actual user name and password didn't work, but maybe it is worth trying that way from the begining.  I don't know.  I am ready to give up and try some kind of alternative.  I wish I could down grade the firmware.  This camera used to work without a problem

Offline pentium

first, you CAN downgrade the firmware.  I successfully did it when i didn't know about the requirement for the user and password in the url.  here is an example of my line:

/snapshot.cgi?user=myuser&pwd=mypass         i changed my real userid to myuser here and the same for the real password to mypass  this is where you put your values.

also, i remember that i had some conflicting information about which ui was supposed to be used with the release of firmware that i had on the camera.  I am using  Device Firmware Version     11.37.2.59
  Device Embeded Web UI Version     2.0.10.12  which i see is the same as yours.

Offline Wekurtz74

first, you CAN downgrade the firmware.  I successfully did it when i didn't know about the requirement for the user and password in the url.  here is an example of my line:

/snapshot.cgi?user=myuser&pwd=mypass         i changed my real userid to myuser here and the same for the real password to mypass  this is where you put your values.

also, i remember that i had some conflicting information about which ui was supposed to be used with the release of firmware that i had on the camera.  I am using  Device Firmware Version     11.37.2.59
  Device Embeded Web UI Version     2.0.10.12  which i see is the same as yours.

Ok, I did not realize that.  I think the change in color threw me for a loop.  I am going to try again from scratch and see what I can do.  Now, under "Settings" and "Advanced" where it asks for your user name and PW, do you fill those in or leave them blank, instead relying on the URL?

Offline pentium

I filled mine in, but i think you can leave them blank.  and if you do put it in the settings tab, it will add it to the advanced tab so you will see it in both places.  In mine, it is coded in all three places, the settings, advanced, and the url.  I can't imagine that you have to start over, seems you could just update the url string and make sure you don't leave out that &.  make certain that your gateway ip address is the ip address of vera.  another good reason to make vera's ip address static.

what is the symptom of it not working?  do you get a message like userid and password is invalid?  or cannot connect? 

Offline Wekurtz74

I filled mine in, but i think you can leave them blank.  and if you do put it in the settings tab, it will add it to the advanced tab so you will see it in both places.  In mine, it is coded in all three places, the settings, advanced, and the url.  I can't imagine that you have to start over, seems you could just update the url string and make sure you don't leave out that &.  make certain that your gateway ip address is the ip address of vera.  another good reason to make vera's ip address static.

what is the symptom of it not working?  do you get a message like userid and password is invalid?  or cannot connect?

well, now it works.  I was getting the error msg about invalid username and password.  In any event, i redid it from the beginning using your information, and now it works.  I actually still get the error msg on the dashboard, but when I open the device.  I can view and control the camera position.  IN any event, I thank you for your assistance.  now is must work on the motion detection portion of it and sending a proper picture instead of some randon URL.  :)

Offline pentium

Awesome.  Ok, assuming you have pleg and veralerts.  set a trigger for motion detected from that device

create a trigger   tCarportMotion   Carport Motion armed is tripped
create a condition cCarportMotion  tCarportMotion and (!tCarportMotion; Now > 0:20:00)
create an action and in the advanced send a veralert with the following message
     Carport Motion {Picture(108)} {Picture(110)}        this is sending a picture from two cameras, device 108 and 110

if you only want one camera, i think it is
Carport Motion {Picture(108)}   change 108 to the device number of your camera

if that is too vague, let me know.