Author Topic: Lutron Caseta works!  (Read 24058 times)

Offline ilans1

Re: Lutron Caseta works!
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2015, 11:06:26 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I need to mention, this is not just any IP camera, this is a Mobotix camera that has extensive programming capabilities and can pretty much send any command via any port to another device on the LAN. While I'm not familiar with what it takes to activate a scene with the Caseta bridge, if it can be done via an IP command, this camera can probably do it. I'd be happy to share more info with you if you like.

Offline wkearney99

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2015, 10:40:56 am »
Fwiw, I use Lutron Radio RA2 lighting.  There's a wireless motion sensor from Lutron.  I have one on my porch ceiling, even though they're not 'rated' for outdoor use, it's been working fine for 2+ years now (hot, cold, humid, etc).  It's essentially the same sort of thing as a Pico RF remote, in that it sends the same kinds of commands.  Is there a similar option for Caseta? 

Offline ilans1

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2015, 09:02:21 pm »
I don't think there's a motion sensor option for Caseta, that would be a welcome addition for sure. Still would like to get input from people here on how I can activate a scene with an ip message to the bridge.

Offline synapse007

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2015, 02:18:45 am »
I was hoping to get around this by sending an IP command over Telnet from the camera directly to the Caseta bridge. Is this possible?

No... It is NOT possible...

Most IP cameras do not support sending custom IP commands to other devices.... AND... The Caseta Smartbridge (and Smartbridge Pro) protects it's command ports with Telnet (Smartbridge pro only) or SSH (Both basic and Pro)...

In order to send a command directly to the smartbridge, you camera would need to make a telnet or SSH connection to the bridge, and then send the command through the telnet or ssh pipe.

If you set up the RadioRa2 Gateway plugin, you can use then have the camera send a trigger to the Vera and the Vera can trigger the smartbridge...

On a related note....
I have been looking at creating a Lutron Caseta plugin... One that will work with the basic and pro models...
So far, I have been able to figure out the protocol used by the SSH port (that is present on both models) on the Smartbridge... and can control the devices attached to the bridge manually via the SSH client (dropbear) that is present in the Vera firmware...
The problem is that the supplied SSH client will not reliably send/receive commands/status from the command line...

Cybrmage, that sounds great that you are working on it. I have vera and use your wink controller. Will your lutron caseta be able to work with local control. My grief with wink is lack of network makes things wonky. I did not root my wink early enough and don't know if I can hardware root it yet on the latest firmware.

Offline cybrmage

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2016, 07:32:08 am »
Cybrmage, that sounds great that you are working on it. I have vera and use your wink controller. Will your lutron caseta be able to work with local control. My grief with wink is lack of network makes things wonky. I did not root my wink early enough and don't know if I can hardware root it yet on the latest firmware.

The Caseta Connect plugin is now available (yes... local control of SmartBridge and Smartbridge Pro) HERE
EVL3Vista - Wink Connect - Caseta Connect - Venstar Colortouch - WiFi UDP Switch Controller - MyQGateway

Offline jjwalker

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2016, 07:52:42 am »
@jjwalker

How has your experience been on the trial run with the Hub and one switch?

Hey I'm sorry I never responded.  I didn't even see your post until now.  Kinda stepped away from Vera for a while.  I never bought the Lutron stuff,  but  I'm now getting back into things and am looking at it again.  Kinda waiting on Vera plus to see if the zigbee radio will work with the Caseta stuff.  Doubt it, but it would be cool. 

Offline cybrmage

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2016, 11:29:24 am »
Kinda waiting on Vera plus to see if the zigbee radio will work with the Caseta stuff.

The ZigBee radio will NOT work with the Caseta products... The Caseta products are 433MHz, not Zigbee.
EVL3Vista - Wink Connect - Caseta Connect - Venstar Colortouch - WiFi UDP Switch Controller - MyQGateway

Offline jjwalker

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2016, 05:03:45 pm »
Kinda waiting on Vera plus to see if the zigbee radio will work with the Caseta stuff.

The ZigBee radio will NOT work with the Caseta products... The Caseta products are 433MHz, not Zigbee.

Ahh, I see.  Guess I'll try out your plugin if I want to go Caseta route. 

Offline kworcester

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2017, 02:08:32 pm »
Trying to understand how this forum works... I'll write my question and see who answers is where I will start.

I have purchased Lutron dimming light kit. It includes the dimmer - the hub - and the remote.
I also purchased MOTORIZED shades from Bali.

When I read the Lutron Kit it stated it also works on motorized shades.

Recently though I found out the the Bali shades use the ZWAVE - while LUTRON HUB does not..

So - How do I get my LUTRON HUB DIMMER switch to work with my ZWAVE blinds...

Ive read several things such as using a program called HOMEseer and downloading a program but I dont even know where or how to begin.

Any help from anyone would be appreciated...

my email address: urgr8t2@yahoo.com

Offline shallowearth

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2017, 05:46:50 pm »
The Lutron Hub will only work with Blinds that say they are compatible with Lutron Hub.  Bali Z-wave blinds are not compatible with the Lutron Hub.  You will need a z-wave compatible hub to work with your blinds.

If you are looking to centralize controlling both your light and your blinds as you have purchased them, do that you can control them both form the same app I think you have two options:

You can buy a Wink Hub and use it to control both your Lutron Lights and your Bali Blinds (Wink Hub supports Lutron's propriatary Caseta system, Z-wave, and Zigbee devices).  In this case you would not use the Lutron Hub at all, you would just use Wink Hub and the Wink App.

You can buy a Vera to control the Bali Blinds and you can install a App on your Vera that can talk to your Lutron Hub.  With this system you could control your lights from the Lutron App or the Vera App, and your Blinds from the Vera App.

I don't know of many other systems that are natively compatible with Lutron Caseta system other than Wink.  HomeSeer and SmartThings might be able to the integration the same way that the Vera does which is you control the Blinds through HomeSeer or SmartThings, and you install a plug-in that then talks to the Lutron hub to bring them together into one system.  Wink, SmartThings, or Vera are probably your cheapest/simplest options for controlling your blinds, but I would do a little research and make sure the Bali Z-wave blinds are compatible with the system before buying.