Author Topic: Cant login to local Vera3 when internet down  (Read 6328 times)

Offline gduprey

Cant login to local Vera3 when internet down
« on: August 22, 2014, 12:17:20 am »
Howdy,

Is there a way to access/login to my Vera3 (from my local network, no remote access) when my internet connection is down?

I've noticed that when I access/login to my Vera3, I get the MIOS login screen.  When I have internet service, this works fine (user/password).  But when my internet is down, I cannot login to my Vera3 (it acts like my password is bad).  I connect to my Vera3 over wired LAN connections and do not use the built in Vera3 Wifi or gateway functions (I have a separate router for all that).

I'm really concerned that when I lose internet, I lose local access to my Vera3 too.  I can see the Vera3 is still running and acting on my schedules and such.  I just can't get to it.

Does it really absolutely require an internet connection just to allow local network access?  Is there any way around it? 

I'm really hoping I'm missing something because the idea of not being able to administer my Vera3 when there is no internet is a potential deal break for me (if that is the case).

Any pointers/help/calming noises would be very, very much appreciated

Gerry

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
Re: Cant login to local Vera3 when internet down
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 12:28:27 am »
Calm Down sounds like your getting a little crazy!  ;D

All you have to do is type in your VERA local IP address in the web browser. No internet is required. VERA works without Internet.

Address if you have a router should be something like this. "192.168.1.110"

It will say when you login or if your already logged in from home it will be in the address bar.

Offline gduprey

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 08:02:48 am »
Howdy,

I was afraid I hadn't explained myself well enough.  My fault.

I am typing in a local IP address and I'm able to reach my Vera -- I get the login screen just fine.  Both the Vera3 and mysef are on the same local network. So physical access and such are all fine.

The problem is that once I am at the login screen, my login credentials do not work.  It acts like I typed in the password wrong.  If I do the exact same process after re-establishing my homes internet connection, I can login with the same password.  My password is relatively simple and I'm 100% being typed in correctly.

I've noticed that my Vera3s WAN light blinks rapidly in this case too, but have seen enough mentions of this to confirm this means the Vera3 cannot reach the internet.

Gerry

Offline HouseBot

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 08:09:54 am »
I had similar issue once with a Vera3, contacted support and they fixed what I assume some default route issue in my Vera.
I asked support if there would have been anything that I could have done to fix this myself, and the answer was, no.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 08:12:59 am by HouseBot »

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 09:15:31 am »
By default you should be able to access the configuration screen from the LAN, even if there is no internet.

What firmware version is in use, UI5, UI6, UI7?

Had you explicitly chosen to "Secure this Vera" under the Unit Settings tab?

Offline gduprey

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 08:28:07 pm »
Howdy,

Using UI6 (which is what came on it) with firmware 1.6.641 (latest, according to it)

Setup -> Unit Settings -> Allow only secure access: No

Its pretty consistent:
1) Get Vera3 working normally with internet connected via local IP, login (works fine) and log out
2) Disconnect the internet (i.e. pull plug on cable modem)
3) Within 2-5 minutes, Vera3 WAN light start blinking quickly (which I think means -- help, no internet)
4) Point browser at Vera3 IP
5) Login screen comes up, try to login
6) Get about a 20 second delay, then  popup with "Login Failed".
7) Plug internet back in, wait until Vera3 sees it and stops blinking its WAN light
8) Point web browser at same local IP I've been using
9) Login works fine.

I've repeated the above steps at least 4 times now and the results are always the same.

I'm a bit surprised it falls down so quickly without internet access.

Gerry

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 08:47:09 pm »
Howdy,

Using UI6 (which is what came on it) with firmware 1.6.641 (latest, according to it)

Setup -> Unit Settings -> Allow only secure access: No

Its pretty consistent:
1) Get Vera3 working normally with internet connected via local IP, login (works fine) and log out
2) Disconnect the internet (i.e. pull plug on cable modem)
3) Within 2-5 minutes, Vera3 WAN light start blinking quickly (which I think means -- help, no internet)
4) Point browser at Vera3 IP
5) Login screen comes up, try to login
6) Get about a 20 second delay, then  popup with "Login Failed".
7) Plug internet back in, wait until Vera3 sees it and stops blinking its WAN light
8) Point web browser at same local IP I've been using
9) Login works fine.

I've repeated the above steps at least 4 times now and the results are always the same.

I'm a bit surprised it falls down so quickly without internet access.

Gerry

Whats your local IP? And what does it change to when you try and login?

Offline gduprey

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 10:48:04 pm »
IP address remains constant and I am able to reach the unit and bring up a login page (it's 192.168.111.155 for the vera3, and 192.168.111.10 for my laptop -- never changes (fixed DHCP IP assignments).

So I'm reasonably confident in the fact there is no local network problem (I do networks as part of my job).

So the Vera3 is fine, accessible (locally) and working.  Just seems to be trying to contact the mothership to validate my login and if it can't wont' let me in.  Which, if there is an internet problem, could be very serious.

Gerry

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 11:10:55 pm »
IP address remains constant and I am able to reach the unit and bring up a login page (it's 192.168.111.155 for the vera3, and 192.168.111.10 for my laptop -- never changes (fixed DHCP IP assignments).

So I'm reasonably confident in the fact there is no local network problem (I do networks as part of my job).

So the Vera3 is fine, accessible (locally) and working.  Just seems to be trying to contact the mothership to validate my login and if it can't wont' let me in.  Which, if there is an internet problem, could be very serious.

Gerry

Its defiantly a local problem.

which phone app do you use? Is it allowed in?

Offline gduprey

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 09:29:24 am »
No phone apps yet.  Keeping things super simple.

As for network problem, other than not being able to reach the internet, I don't see how.  I can ping, ssh and connect the vera3 via IP address when the internet is down, so the vera is there, is online (locally) and is responding.  I've flushed browser caches and forced reloads, so I'm not getting a cached "ghost".

I've even put my network sniffer online and can clearly see my PC and the Vera3 exchanging data.  I can also see the Vera3 reaching out and attempting to connect off-LAN during those logins (which obviously fails).

No not sure if you mean local network/equipment by "local problem" or something in the Vera3?

Gerry

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 12:39:07 pm »
No phone apps yet.  Keeping things super simple.

As for network problem, other than not being able to reach the internet, I don't see how.  I can ping, ssh and connect the vera3 via IP address when the internet is down, so the vera is there, is online (locally) and is responding.  I've flushed browser caches and forced reloads, so I'm not getting a cached "ghost".

I've even put my network sniffer online and can clearly see my PC and the Vera3 exchanging data.  I can also see the Vera3 reaching out and attempting to connect off-LAN during those logins (which obviously fails).

No not sure if you mean local network/equipment by "local problem" or something in the Vera3?

Gerry

Local Vera problem is what I think. I don't think its a common UI6 issue, but I always blame UI6 and would bet anything if you went down to UI5 your problem would go away. With that said tho I think it obviously can be fixed and stay on UI6. I just wasn't on UI6 long enough to help you much more.

Offline aa6vh

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 10:56:46 am »
If it is any consulation, I am having the same problem on UI6.

I am wondering if the Vera3 on UI6 has to ask the mother ship to verify the password  before granting access. This would mean that no internet means no password verification.

I am hoping that UI7 fixes this. I suspect I could retrograde back to UI5 and have the probem fixed there as well.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 11:22:41 am »
I am wondering if the Vera3 on UI6 has to ask the mother ship to verify the password  before granting access. This would mean that no internet means no password verification.

This is not what Micasaverde says is supposed to happen and this is not what most users report happening. Micasaverde has always stated their units work without internet. This is obviously a an error with certain units.

I'm sure someone can help you fix it, but Micasaverde has already moved onto UI7 and is not currently working on UI6 anymore. UI5 is fully supported and is the most stable right now. You'll also find alot more help working with the more common UI5.

If someone can't help you out on here a call to micasaverde would be my next step and that will probley end with a UI7 install (altho I personally would go to UI5 for now).

Offline GeorgeDig

Cant login to local Vera3 when internet down
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 05:33:07 am »
I can accept your first reason, but the second is more like expected behaviour. Are there any ridable entity that won't do that?