We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: UI7 - "Dear MiOS Development Partner" email  (Read 84304 times)

Offline Colin Burke McClure

• SVP Product & Innovation
Re: UI7 - "Dear MiOS Development Partner" email
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2015, 06:35:27 pm »
So, I wrote an email to support about the issue and then wandered over to the GetVera site and found a page "About Us" that listed all the senior management, along with their emails (oddly, that page no longer exists). I crafted an email to them (including colin, lew and aaron) and heard absolutely nothing back. Passionate users trying to bring their thoughts to the company and then hearing a deafening silence kind of makes one not so interested anymore..

@MACRHO My apologies. I don't see/have anything from you. When did you send this email? Was it sent from the same address you use here on the forums? Would you be willing to resend, please?

The whole reason we have that About Us/Team page up (http://getvera.com/about-us/team/), including our personal email addresses, is to encourage open communication with our end users.

Again, sorry this seems to have gotten lost in translation somewhere, but I'd love to reengage with you if you're willing to resend.
Cheers,

Colin Burke McClure
SVP Product & Innovation

MiOS  *  Puts You in Control
www.mios.com  *  colin@mios.com  *  +1 (888) 510-6467

« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2015, 07:03:36 pm »
Quote from: Colin Burke McClure
@Guessed I look forward to your continued candor, directly, as a member of the Client Advisory Board this coming month. I think you'll be quite interested in the two new next gen controllers and how they'll address many of your HW concerns/limitations, as compared to the entry level VeraEdge/G150. The flagship VeraSecure/G550 chassis should be very much aligned with what you guys have requested, performance wise.

I was at CES, and read the spec sheet for all 3 new models.  Unfortunately, unless that spec sheet is grossly incorrect on the memory, it's just not worth the effort to keep things working there.

And, as stated repeatedly throughout this thread, that's not even the primary issue (even as hot as it might be)
@Guessed Agreed, this is hardly the most pressing matter for any of us, but... the printed specs on the G450 and G550 were very much preliminary and intentionally understated (based on delta to release date). We're in the final stages of our our own internal analysis surrounding the memory requirements (based on our existing Vera deployments, as well as working w/ our major OEM customers on the MiOS side), but I'd be curious as to what you think the "magic" number is, from your personal experience.
Cheers,

Colin Burke McClure
SVP Product & Innovation

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2015, 07:32:47 pm »
@Guessed I look forward to your continued candor, directly, as a member of the Client Advisory Board this coming month. I think you'll be quite interested in the two new next gen controllers and how they'll address many of your HW concerns/limitations, as compared to the entry level VeraEdge/G150. The flagship VeraSecure/G550 chassis should be very much aligned with what you guys have requested, performance wise.

I was at CES, and read the spec sheet for all 3 new models.  Unfortunately, unless that spec sheet is grossly incorrect on the memory, it's just not worth the effort to keep things working there.

And, as stated repeatedly throughout this thread, that's not even the primary issue (even as hot as it might be)
@Guessed Agreed, this is hardly the most pressing matter for any of us, but... the printed specs on the G450 and G550 were very much preliminary and intentionally understated (based on delta to release date). We're in the final stages of our our own internal analysis surrounding the memory requirements (based on our existing Vera deployments, as well as working w/ our major OEM customers on the MiOS side), but I'd be curious as to what you think the "magic" number is, from your personal experience.
At a minimum for a pro device, it would need to be 512mb ram. However it's not uncommon to see embedded device like the Raspberry Pi, Odroid C2, BeagleBone Black with that amount or even more. If history has shown us anything, we are seeing many users run into memory issues due to having plugins that add up over time.

- Garrett

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
UI7 - "Dear MiOS Development Partner" email
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2015, 07:45:15 pm »
There are two major configuration changes which have dramatically affected Vera, RAM and the OS. 

However, in more recent times, the never more complex desires of the have lead to more resource heavily application and the open platform that Vera presents, have lead to more complex integrated system and the current RAM ceiling has limited or adversely affected the capability.

I agree with Garrett with this should be and absolute minimum threshold for RAM, but it will potentially even in the near future with the conditional logic the end users desire.

There is no doubt the market exists; however, what is the threshold/cost per unit they are willing to accept in the marketing question. Hence, at the chance of igniting the fire a little more; this is why even old tech companies are turning to Kickstarter and alike to secure the investment and commitment with high exposure upfront...

Edit: interrupted to take kids on a ride. Daddy duties must come first.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 07:51:58 pm by Brientim »

macrho

« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2015, 08:50:29 pm »
@MACRHO My apologies. I don't see/have anything from you. When did you send this email? Was it sent from the same address you use here on the forums? Would you be willing to resend, please?

The whole reason we have that About Us/Team page up (http://getvera.com/about-us/team/), including our personal email addresses, is to encourage open communication with our end users.

Again, sorry this seems to have gotten lost in translation somewhere, but I'd love to reengage with you if you're willing to resend.

No problem, I just re-sent it though my forum email address is different. Happy to reengage

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2015, 11:58:56 pm »
A very simple question. 
How do we log bugs as of now? It is simply not clear with UI7.

Marc Shenker

« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2015, 07:24:32 am »
A very simple question. 
How do we log bugs as of now? It is simply not clear with UI7.

@Brientim
For the time being you can either fill out a support ticket at http://support.getvera.com/customer/portal/emails/new or email me directly.

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2015, 05:03:03 pm »
Marc and Colin.  When should we anticipate a real solution.  This is problematic and even Mantis would be better than email chains... That of course if they are received and responded too. As an example, I gave up on testing UI7 beta for this reason as I sent emails that were not responded too, then I logged ticket which were closed because it a support issue.

In addition, I have recently emailed you both about a few subjects; I wasn't after a response but expected some actions on the forum, neither happened. People getting a ton of emails, just is ineffective especially for Service Management.

Marc Shenker

« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2015, 08:56:38 am »
Marc and Colin.  When should we anticipate a real solution.  This is problematic and even Mantis would be better than email chains... That of course if they are received and responded too. As an example, I gave up on testing UI7 beta for this reason as I sent emails that were not responded too, then I logged ticket which were closed because it a support issue.

In addition, I have recently emailed you both about a few subjects; I wasn't after a response but expected some actions on the forum, neither happened. People getting a ton of emails, just is ineffective especially for Service Management.

You are right. Email is far from ideal, we are working on a better solution but for the time being email them to me and CC anyone else you think is appropriate.

Regarding your recent emails, I never received them. Could you check that my email address was correct and resend it?

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2015, 09:18:29 am »
Marc, the email address was correct and one of the emails had a corresponding PM dated 20 Dec. no use resending as this was a moment in time thing.

Offline ServiceXp

« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2015, 09:20:46 am »

You are right. Email is far from ideal, we are working on a better solution but for the time being email them to me and CC anyone else you think is appropriate.

Regarding your recent emails, I never received them. Could you check that my email address was correct and resend it?

Is everyone thinking the same thing here... ;-)

U.S.A Vera 3

Offline wseverino

• Global Moderator
  • Da Man, Da Myth, Da Legend - in his own mind!
« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2015, 10:48:45 am »

Marc - One software product to look at for technical questions and bugs would be ZenDesk.
My ZWave Network: Too friggin big to list.....

Offline mikewooduk

« Reply #117 on: January 18, 2015, 12:37:43 pm »

At a minimum for a pro device, it would need to be 512mb ram. However it's not uncommon to see embedded device like the Raspberry Pi, Odroid C2, BeagleBone Black with that amount or even more. If history has shown us anything, we are seeing many users run into memory issues due to having plugins that add up over time.

- Garrett

Garrett,

I to strongly feel that the ram should be upgraded in any future models, but why limited to 512mb of RAM, its just as cheap to obtain 1GB and 2GB modules these days as there is not very much demand for 512mb modules these days.

Would love to see any future Vera's fly.

Regards,

Mike

Offline mikewooduk

« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2015, 12:47:39 pm »

@Colin
I have been using Vera models for a couple of years now, and one thing that has always been a bug bear has been the amount of RAM supplied in each model.

Now I am not a developer but I am running three different Vera Models in different locations and about to add a forth.  With each of these models it has always been an issue with the amount of on board memory, if going forward the base model was to have 1GB of memory, I think a lot of the people who use Vera would not have to worry about adding USB sticks for the logging and I am sure that the performance would be increased.  Id happily pay for the extra memory!!

Another thing I would love to see would be the option to have an external aerial port rather than worry about the internal aerial that can be quite poor.  You just need to look at the amount of suppliers out there that are supply Z-Wave extenders as well as your own community coming up with aerial adapters for the Vera 3.

Now that Vera Edge has been released can we see a pro version?

One last thing how about a slightly different box rather than using something that looks like its a Thomson Speedtouch Router reject from about 8 years ago??

I do thank you for taking your time to visit the forums and speak to us all, and no doubt hopefully this will be a new front being taken by the Vera team.

I know you think a lot of us only use these devices at home, but I am using them in the office and small server rooms for monitoring.

Regards,

Mike

« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2015, 12:51:25 pm »
Quick follow up on this thread and dev samples status. I know that Marc got quite a few units shipped out late last week, but there are still many developers that have yet to respond. In order to expedite, simplify, and track the process we've loaded all the current development partners into a MailChimp list.

You can use the link below provide/update your ship to address (and phone) directly.

http://eepurl.com/bbMORj

You'll get follow up emails from this distribution list (and or Marc) with additional info/updates this week.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 11:23:08 pm by Colin Burke McClure »
Cheers,

Colin Burke McClure
SVP Product & Innovation