Author Topic: GE Z-Wave Ceiling Fan Wall Switch (12730) support  (Read 2010 times)

Offline BrianAz

GE Z-Wave Ceiling Fan Wall Switch (12730) support
« on: January 20, 2015, 05:34:52 pm »
I recently purchased and installed the GE Z-Wave Ceiling Fan Wall Switch (12730). It is detected as a light dimmer so those are the controls I have access to currently. I've opted to use the up/down by 10% switch which isn't too bad. It works something like: 0% = Off, 10%-30% = Low, 40=60 = Med, 70-100=High/Full.  So while it works easy enough for me to have my family using it on their own with low/medium frustration, it'd be really nice to be able to define the increments at which the dimmer goes up.

Is this something I can modify now? I'd like there to be Off (0), Low (30%), Med (60%) and High (100%) options to limit extra button touches and the user not knowing the thresholds between settings.

Thanks!!

Offline brandoncreel

Re: GE Z-Wave Ceiling Fan Wall Switch (12730) support
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 05:12:05 pm »
You are right on the money here,  Brian.  I just installed a GE Z-wave Fan Control switch and don't like the fact it is a "Light Dimmer."  I tested it out to see what values are for what speeds and got inconsistent results.  For example, one time medium was 58% and the next time it was 41%.  Similarly, high was 65% one time and the next time 100%.  Sometimes, the switch didn't send and change in status to the controller! 
My hope was to extract the default values the switch sends to the controller and put in 4 buttons, Off/Low/Med/High.  But since it wasn't consistent, it would loose sync with the controller.  I might still pursue changing the profile and seeing how it performs.

Any one else seeing a similar performance?

Offline garrettwp

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 07:28:17 pm »
Understand that the GE products do not send status updates to the controller. Vera would need to poll the device to get the status. Also Vera has no concept of a fan controller as they are technically a dimmer, so a dimmer will be seen in vera. Same holds true for the leviton fan controllers.

- Garrett

Offline BrianAz

GE Z-Wave Ceiling Fan Wall Switch (12730) support
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 07:39:57 pm »
I have had a pretty regular experience with the fan so far. Bumping it from 0 to 10% puts the fan on, going back down to 0 turns it off. I'll play with it some more to see if I can replicate the inconsistent behavior reported.

Also Vera has no concept of a fan controller as they are technically a dimmer, so a dimmer will be seen in vera. Same holds true for the leviton fan controllers.

- Garrett

Thanks. I'll have to search some and see how I can set a dimmer to specific %. Perhaps via lua. Maybe I can make scenes for low/med/high.

The current 10% up/down increments on the HomeWave dimmer button control are not user friendly enough for fan control.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 07:43:09 pm by BrianAz »

Offline michaelhinchey

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 05:55:59 pm »
Any further investigations on this.  Surely Vera has included a fan slider xml by now?