Author Topic: iAqualink Pool Control  (Read 14644 times)

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
Re: iAqualink Pool Control
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2016, 08:16:06 pm »
I know this is an old thread but I am interested in doing this to my 2002 Jandy equipment. I'm wondering if the iAqualink is all I need to connect to get it connected to my Galaxy phone / Tab and my wifes iPhone and iPad via an app and my home WiFi? Also, if the Autelus module is required of if any generic RS485 interface will do the trick?

Has anyone tried this?
Is this project dead?
I'm no coder but understand computers since DOS days and am willing to do some testing on it.

Well iaqualink to vera I would say is dead. iaqualink is not playing nice with anyone with their closed API.

So if you want control with VERA you only need the Autelus and the plugin. I bought the iAqualink and I can use my phone app or web browser to control it anywhere but not with vera. If you want both then you need both the iaqualink kit and the Autelus modual. If you want only phone control with VERA I would skip the iaqualink product. Altho I think looks and function will probley be better experience with more options threw the offical app.

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2016, 09:04:54 pm »
I know this is an old thread but I am interested in doing this to my 2002 Jandy equipment. I'm wondering if the iAqualink is all I need to connect to get it connected to my Galaxy phone / Tab and my wifes iPhone and iPad via an app and my home WiFi? Also, if the Autelus module is required of if any generic RS485 interface will do the trick?

Has anyone tried this?
Is this project dead?
I'm no coder but understand computers since DOS days and am willing to do some testing on it.

Well iaqualink to vera I would say is dead. iaqualink is not playing nice with anyone with their closed API.

So if you want control with VERA you only need the Autelus and the plugin. I bought the iAqualink and I can use my phone app or web browser to control it anywhere but not with vera. If you want both then you need both the iaqualink kit and the Autelus modual. If you want only phone control with VERA I would skip the iaqualink product. Altho I think looks and function will probley be better experience with more options threw the offical app.

I looked in app store for the plug in but did not see it. I even searched for "iAqualink", "Aqua", "link" and simply "i" with no luck so I didn't find the plug in.

Where do I get the autelus device? I only have seen the iAqualink and iAqualink2 devices.. My board is old and I need to look at the model number to see what it is that I need to get. Although it would be nice to have the pool, spa and associated pool lighting controlled in one app via the Vera it isn't a necessity with the exception of being able to schedule Scenes to do other neat coordinated things in the yard and in the pool simultaneously. This is what a "Smart Home" is all about.

All that said, I think I"ll start with the native app and iAqualink if my board is compatible. It uses the RS one touch controller already right now so I think it is a matter of connecting the iAqualink where that is connected already.

Funny thing, my pool guy said this would cost me $2,000 in parts alone but I don't think that is the case, especially if my existing board is compatible.

Offline niharmehta

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2016, 12:05:49 am »
I was in your position.

Its likely your 2002 Jandy RS board is NOT compatible with iAquaLink. It requires a specific version or later.  My 2001/2002 board was not upgradeable to having the iAqualink module attached nor was my RS8 panel.

Replacing the PCB board and adding the iAqualink2 module will be approx $600 + Labor (Pool Supply World) . Yes its an absolute ripoff for the level of technology in these systems.
Instead of getting a new OneTouch , I wall mounted a spare Android tablet with the Aqualink app.    Its been working fine over almost 2 years now and I have full programming capability.

You have a couple of options:
1) Pay to move to the latest version.
2) See if the Autelis is compatible with your control board version and use it as your new automation target and install is on the RS485 bus.
3) Replace Jandy with another brand that is more friendly to automation.

2x VeraLite; 2xTrane Tstats; 45 x Switches/Dimmers/Appliance Modules; 4x Everspring Water Sensors; DSC Integration; 2 x Zwave Door Locks; 1x Ted5K; 1x Rainforest Eagle; Onkyo AVR; 6x Squeezebox;

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2016, 01:40:34 am »
I was in your position.

Its likely your 2002 Jandy RS board is NOT compatible with iAquaLink. It requires a specific version or later.  My 2001/2002 board was not upgradeable to having the iAqualink module attached nor was my RS8 panel.

Replacing the PCB board and adding the iAqualink2 module will be approx $600 + Labor (Pool Supply World) . Yes its an absolute ripoff for the level of technology in these systems.
Instead of getting a new OneTouch , I wall mounted a spare Android tablet with the Aqualink app.    Its been working fine over almost 2 years now and I have full programming capability.

2) See if the Autelis is compatible with your control board version and use it as your new automation target and install is on the RS485 bus.

My one touch was broken when I bought the house. So I bought the 1.0 version at the time.

What you said is correct but around 525.00 is a good price to pay for the complete kit and installation is plug n play so around 10 min and a few connectors and your ready to go. Do not pay 200.00 to have it installed. I think there was 2-4 Philips screws and around 6 connectors.

This will most likley be needed since you main board is probley to old. Earlier then Revision "R"
http://www.poolcleaningparts.com/jandy-iaqualink-iq20-rs-network-interface-module.html

If your board is not very old. (revision "R" or newer) Then all you need is just the iaqualink 2.0 alone.
http://www.poolcleaningparts.com/jandy-iaqualink-iq20-a-network-interface-module.html

Revsion "R" came out in 2011. Revision number can be found on a stick on the back side of the main panel. It needs to be somewhat pulled out or removed from the metal box to see the back side. On the main black chip on the backside of the board you will see a white sticker with the revision number on it. Like the link below

http://d2vv81yn11nqlu.cloudfront.net/catalog/product/cache/2/image/300x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/7/2/726224-1.jpg

The new board adds some features that you may or may not use. (Smart JVA, Variable speed pumps and controls that probley your 2002 unit doesn't have) But if you only changing the board I'm sure you don't have any new items that will require the new board. The App is nice to have and use but is it worth 525? That maybe questionable depending on your requirements. Here is the chnage log of what was added on the different revisions and when they were released. This stops at 2011 and I'm nto sure what has been added after if anything.

https://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/Products/Manuals/Sub53_2012329101223.pdf

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2016, 01:51:54 pm »
I was in your position.

My one touch was broken when I bought the house. So I bought the 1.0 version at the time.

What you said is correct but around 525.00 is a good price to pay for the complete kit and installation is plug n play so around 10 min and a few connectors and your ready to go. Do not pay 200.00 to have it installed. I think there was 2-4 Philips screws and around 6 connectors.

This will most likley be needed since you main board is probley to old. Earlier then Revision "R"
http://www.poolcleaningparts.com/jandy-iaqualink-iq20-rs-network-interface-module.html

If your board is not very old. (revision "R" or newer) Then all you need is just the iaqualink 2.0 alone.
http://www.poolcleaningparts.com/jandy-iaqualink-iq20-a-network-interface-module.html

Revsion "R" came out in 2011. Revision number can be found on a stick on the back side of the main panel. It needs to be somewhat pulled out or removed from the metal box to see the back side. On the main black chip on the backside of the board you will see a white sticker with the revision number on it. Like the link below

http://d2vv81yn11nqlu.cloudfront.net/catalog/product/cache/2/image/300x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/7/2/726224-1.jpg

The new board adds some features that you may or may not use. (Smart JVA, Variable speed pumps and controls that probley your 2002 unit doesn't have) But if you only changing the board I'm sure you don't have any new items that will require the new board. The App is nice to have and use but is it worth 525? That maybe questionable depending on your requirements. Here is the chnage log of what was added on the different revisions and when they were released. This stops at 2011 and I'm nto sure what has been added after if anything.

https://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/Products/Manuals/Sub53_2012329101223.pdf

This is fantastic information! Thank you!!

I will look into which board I have, maybe tonight, so I can determine which way to go with this. The pool was in when we bought the house in 2014 but we are remodeling the back yard now and would like to have it controlled with the Vera Plus and include the pool in that control..

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2016, 02:42:57 pm »

I will look into which board I have, maybe tonight, so I can determine which way to go with this. The pool was in when we bought the house in 2014 but we are remodeling the back yard now and would like to have it controlled with the Vera Plus and include the pool in that control..

Remember iAqualink will not give you control via VERA. So that is a different path as of now and the last few years. Autelis is what is needed to make the vera connection and that system has two different setups depending on if you have a PDA now or not.
http://www.autelis.com/pool-control-for-jandy-zodiac-pda.html

If your running anything other then a PDA (one touch or aqualink) then you'll need this one.
http://www.autelis.com/pool-control-for-jandy-zodiac.html

If you want the iAqualink Web UI control and setup and phone or tablet apps, plus you want vera control then you currently would need to buy both systems which would total around 795.00 ish combined.

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2016, 03:37:30 pm »

Remember iAqualink will not give you control via VERA. So that is a different path as of now and the last few years. Autelis is what is needed to make the vera connection and that system has two different setups depending on if you have a PDA now or not.

If your running anything other then a PDA (one touch or aqualink) then you'll need this one.

If you want the iAqualink Web UI control and setup and phone or tablet apps, plus you want vera control then you currently would need to buy both systems which would total around 795.00 ish combined.

PDA as in Personal Data Assistant?

Nope, never had one of those. I jumped right to smart phone with the original G1 Google phone came out, and even Helio before that..

I have a wall mounted RS controller so I guess I need the basic one.

Can Vera Plus control the autelis via WiFi, Bluetooth or Z-Wave?? Not sure why I need the iAqualink if that is the case.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2016, 05:25:01 pm »

PDA as in Personal Data Assistant?

Nope, never had one of those. I jumped right to smart phone with the original G1 Google phone came out, and even Helio before that..

I have a wall mounted RS controller so I guess I need the basic one.

Can Vera Plus control the autelis via WiFi, Bluetooth or Z-Wave?? Not sure why I need the iAqualink if that is the case.

Vera uses connects Via plugin and IP address of the Autelis unit which has a hardwired network connection and a wire connected to your rs panel.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,30275.0.html

iAqualink is a the brain of the pool controller that allows setup and control via a web browser. Right now you do this via the RS controller. iAqualink adds some new features but maybe none that you will use or need. Autelis simulates a pool keypad and allows you to make changes and turn things on and off. It doesn't replace the controller (rs touch or iAqualink) but runs along side it like a generic remote. It allows web access (they don't have any app that I know of) via a web browser and allows you to turn things on off and make changes as if you were using a remote from anywhere in the world via the internet. So if you were buying iAqualink just to turn on the spa while you were gone then you can do this for around 270.00 vs. the whole iAqualink kit at 525.00. But the kit is more then just the internet part it's also the updated board.

iaqualink can connect via wired or wireless Autelis has wired only and you would need a wireless bridge to make it wireless if needed. Version 1.0 was very picky on the wifi network type and security it used to connect. I think 2.0 has gotten better, but 1.0 was "G" and not passkey with only one kind of encryption. I found the hard way after alot of internet connection problems in the beginning.

I would probley just get the Autelis and call it done until you want to upgrade a pump valves or something else that requires the new board. Even then you can choose new rev. board only or iAqualink at that time. I did end up using JVA controller to stop my motorized valves in the middle. I was unable to do this with my older revision before. I don't have a variable speed pump but figured when mine goes out that will probley be next which it can now be controlled.

Autelis will give you more bang for your buck for around 270 plus wifi adapter you can have internet control of your pool and vera control also which sounds like all you need.  Contact Autelis after you find your revision info and before you buy anything to make sure all works with what you have currently.

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2016, 06:40:49 pm »
Okay.. Thanks a lot!!

Right now, via the RS controller in the house, I have three "scenes" so to speak.

Day Party: Pool filter pumps and shear decent is all I think. There may be one other thing but I am not sure..

Night Party: Same as Day party but adds pool lights on color wheel OR any single color pre-selected. In addition to this there's Old School fiber optic lighting around the spa and the steps up to the spa.

Spa Mode: Well, it turns on the spa jets, turns off the inlet water to the spa and opens the spa return valves, effectively stopping the cascading waterfall from the spa to the pool. Spa mode can be run in conjunction with either "party" mode but it redirects the water flow and fires up the spa heater.

I'd like to duplicate this and add in yard lighting effects in the "Night Party" scene using Vera. Is this possible with the Autelis controller?

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2016, 01:36:39 pm »
Okay.. Thanks a lot!!

Right now, via the RS controller in the house, I have three "scenes" so to speak.

Day Party: Pool filter pumps and shear decent is all I think. There may be one other thing but I am not sure..

Night Party: Same as Day party but adds pool lights on color wheel OR any single color pre-selected. In addition to this there's Old School fiber optic lighting around the spa and the steps up to the spa.

Spa Mode: Well, it turns on the spa jets, turns off the inlet water to the spa and opens the spa return valves, effectively stopping the cascading waterfall from the spa to the pool. Spa mode can be run in conjunction with either "party" mode but it redirects the water flow and fires up the spa heater.

I'd like to duplicate this and add in yard lighting effects in the "Night Party" scene using Vera. Is this possible with the Autelis controller?

I'm thinking I can use an extra WiFi router I have in bridge mode to provide the necessary WiFi for my controller. The biggest problem is protecting that device from the weather.

Offline LindsiWains

iAqualink Pool Control
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2016, 09:34:37 am »
I just installed the Pool Control device by disconnecting my existing jandy serial controller. I am trying to get rid of all my crestron equipment, but in the meantime, can I splice the 4 wire bus and have it go to BOTH the Jandy and Autelis and maintain my home automation control as well as have all the Autelis features without harming either system?

Thanks for your response,
R

Offline rstrouse

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2016, 12:53:42 pm »
Yes that is correct.  The Autelis is just another control panel.
1xVera3 1.7.619, 4xLinear WT00Z, 3xLinear WS15Z, 1xLeviton VRCZ4, 10xCooper RF9540, 1xLeviton VRFI10, 1xLeviton VP00R, 2xLinear GD00Z-4, 1xGE/Jasco 45612, 1xGE/Jasco 45610,  4xGE/Jasco 45605, 2xYale YRD220-ZW-619, 1xCaddx NX584, Autelis Intellitouch Pool Control, OpenSprinkler