Author Topic: Bridge Amazon Echo to Vera, on github!  (Read 468675 times)

Offline wezley69

Re: Bridge Amazon Echo to Vera, on github!
« Reply #2280 on: April 14, 2017, 02:56:51 pm »
Kev B - Thanks!

Offline wsyaeger

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2281 on: April 20, 2017, 01:41:00 pm »
I have been running the bridge (via nssm) on my windows 10 computer for quite a while now without any issues. Today an update for windows 10 installed and restarted the computer. I realized the the bridge had not started automatically, as it has since initially set up. i checked nssm and it seems the service had been removed (the error message said something to the affect of service does not exist).
i don't know why it would have been removed during this OS update, but i installed a new service for the bridge. upon trying to start the new bridge service, i get the error message "service_paused." I can not find a way to start it. Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas how to fix it?
Thanks in advance

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #2282 on: April 21, 2017, 10:33:39 am »
I have been running the bridge (via nssm) on my windows 10 computer for quite a while now without any issues. Today an update for windows 10 installed and restarted the computer. I realized the the bridge had not started automatically, as it has since initially set up. i checked nssm and it seems the service had been removed (the error message said something to the affect of service does not exist).
i don't know why it would have been removed during this OS update, but i installed a new service for the bridge. upon trying to start the new bridge service, i get the error message "service_paused." I can not find a way to start it. Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas how to fix it?
Thanks in advance

The problems I had on windows 10 when it wouldn't start (more then one time now) have been related to a corrupt habridge.config file in the data folder. I have had to delete it or replace with a backup one to get things going again.

I use a .bat file to auto startup my bridge's .jar file on startup. 

Offline wsyaeger

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2283 on: April 27, 2017, 07:57:29 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like nssm isn't exactly reliable.
I don't see any *.config files related to the service. I've been starting it up manually which has been fine for now.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #2284 on: April 27, 2017, 09:45:21 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like nssm isn't exactly reliable.
I don't see any *.config files related to the service. I've been starting it up manually which has been fine for now.

I just created a batch file in notepad and renamed it to "startHAbridge.bat"
I used the following in the text file.

Code: [Select]
@echo off
cd c:\echobridge
javaw -jar ha-bridge.jar
exit

And use my startup delayer that starts up

Blueiris
HomeSeer
Plex
HABridge
Unifi Controller
and a few other programs I run.

Offline eddie charette

« Reply #2285 on: April 28, 2017, 12:11:24 am »
Thank you Z-Waver

Offline wilme2

« Reply #2286 on: April 28, 2017, 11:04:49 am »
Has anyone fixed the issue where a long running (more than 2 seconds or so) scene causes the Echo to respond that the device is unresponsive - check it is on-line and plugged-in?  The scene still runs fine, it just causes Echo to play the error message.  How do we either have the Echo wait longer - or have Vera just send the OK when the scene first starts to run?
Long Live UI5!

Offline wilme2

« Reply #2287 on: May 05, 2017, 11:36:13 am »
Has anyone fixed the issue where a long running (more than 2 seconds or so) scene causes the Echo to respond that the device is unresponsive - check it is on-line and plugged-in?  The scene still runs fine, it just causes Echo to play the error message.  How do we either have the Echo wait longer - or have Vera just send the OK when the scene first starts to run?

No one else has scenes that take a few seconds?
Long Live UI5!

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #2288 on: May 05, 2017, 11:41:36 am »
No one else has scenes that take a few seconds?

I stayed quiet the first time because my anwser is NO. Maybe others are the same?

Offline jswim788

« Reply #2289 on: May 05, 2017, 12:10:38 pm »
Maybe you could workaround this by having the Echo flip a virtual switch (which should have quick response) and have the real scene triggered from the virtual switch change?  I doubt Amazon is going to change the timeout for Vera, and getting Vera to return prior to completing the scene seems unlikely too (that's more like a job submission rather than a scene completion).

Offline wilme2

« Reply #2290 on: May 05, 2017, 12:40:48 pm »
Maybe you could workaround this by having the Echo flip a virtual switch (which should have quick response) and have the real scene triggered from the virtual switch change?  I doubt Amazon is going to change the timeout for Vera, and getting Vera to return prior to completing the scene seems unlikely too (that's more like a job submission rather than a scene completion).

Good idea to try another way to call the scene.  I will experiment. 

The scenes causing the issue connect to my automated window blind controller via "local socket = require("socket")", and if only one command is required it completes timely enough that Alexa is happy.  If multiple commands are needed (not just one group of shades, but two or more), then it takes too long for Alexa...
Long Live UI5!

Offline gregreid

« Reply #2291 on: May 05, 2017, 12:42:11 pm »
You can now get on the beta test for Alexa skills integration of  Vera automation in the echo dot or echo get devices working on Alexa
Voice control

I don't want to hijack this ha-bridge thread, but just briefly:

I've been using the original armzilla amazon-echo-ha-bridge for years on my Vera3.  I recently upgraded to a VeraPlus with few issues, and also upgraded to the ha-bridge.  Each of these setups would respond to a "Alexa, turn on kitchen light" (for example) within a half-second.  The light would go on almost immediately, and Alexa would say her "OK".

I joined the beta test for Vera's new Alexa skill for voice control.  The setup is easy and it offers a lot of advantages in terms of convenience and simplicity over the bridge setup.  However (and this is a big however): the responsiveness to "Alexa, turn on kitchen light" went from my earlier half-second to about five seconds.  This to me is unusable in its current form, and so I went back to using the ha-bridge.

The reason is that when using the ha-bridge, Alexa talks directly to the bridge (thinking it's a Philips Hue Hub), and the bridge talks to Vera, all staying within your home network for fast performance.  When using any Alexa skill (including Vera voice), the communication is much more convoluted, involving a call to a webservice running within the AWS cloud, and from there back to the Vera.  I'm sure that they're working on performance enhancements here, but I can't see how it can ever be as fast as the direct ha-bridge in-home route.

I did keep the Vera voice control setup and plug-in for just one device: my Zwave home thermostat.  This is because the Vera voice setup offers more/better functionality for voice-controlling the thermostat than I could get using the ha-bridge.  And I don't really care if it takes 5 seconds to turn the thermostat up.  (Tho' it's still disconcerting to wait 5 seconds for Alexa's "OK" confirmation.)

Greg

Offline JsChiSurf

« Reply #2292 on: May 11, 2017, 10:48:14 am »
Quick question.

I have been running on v3.5.1 for some time now, as I've had no reason to change, since everything has been working great.

Seeings lots of features & functionality added, coupled with the loss of my Hue devices between each reboot on 3.5.1 (requiring a Hue button press to re-discover), I decided to give v4.5.0.  After coming up, I have lost a lot of settings, devices, configuration, already configured Hue devices stop responding, etc.  Since I have a lot of devices configured, it is no small task to re-setup everything, so I've reverted back to 3.5.1 for now.

The question is, is this big of a version jump not recommended due to so many feature changes since then, and my config and device db files perhaps not "compatible", thus causing my issues?  And, if so, is there a recommended version upgrade path to make sure things go smoothly?

Perhaps it's a moot point and my issues are not related, but wanted to check here first.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 04:27:44 pm by JsChiSurf »

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #2293 on: May 11, 2017, 04:35:31 pm »
I would say not related. Also for you info the devices are saved in a file called "Device.db" in the folder labled "DATA" which should be in the same place your .JAR file is. If you have a saved copy of this you can replace it when your gets corrupt or looses your devices.

This should save you from having to start from scratch or manually add devices that were lost.

Offline JsChiSurf

« Reply #2294 on: May 11, 2017, 04:37:47 pm »
I would say not related. Also for you info the devices are saved in a file called "Device.db" in the folder labled "DATA" which should be in the same place your .JAR file is. If you have a saved copy of this you can replace it when your gets corrupt or looses your devices.

This should save you from having to start from scratch or manually add devices that were lost.

Thanks.  Yes, I am most certainly backing up both the .db and .config files before anything gets changed by virtue of an update.  I'll keep plugging away and see if I can determine what is causing the issues I am seeing.  I tried the most recent version after 3.5.1, and had similar issues, so that should rule out any sort of incompatibilities.