Author Topic: Found this on Kickstarter  (Read 18410 times)

Offline xeinth

Re: Found this on Kickstarter
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2015, 05:17:16 pm »
Thanks for sharing the update on the MOVE.

I've got a bunch of them coming, looking forward to integrating them in.  Hopefully the new vera will have BLE all ready to go by then =).

bk

Offline alpha1

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2015, 05:12:56 am »
The latest on Move.

Because we have been sunked into piles of certification papers for the last weeks we haven't had that much interesting to share, that's why there haven't been that many updates.

We have now however done all we can at the moment with certification and have some interesting to show you! 

The added buttons meant for us that we needed to make changes to all production files and the adding of buttons also made the plastic injection mould more complex and expensive to build. We made the calculations before telling you all that we should make buttons and we are pretty happy with how they turned out and hope you all also will think so. One thing we did not anticipate however was that this also made the delivery time longer for the plastic injection molds, but at the moment we still believe we will be able to start ship units in February. The attached pictures is showing the latest design of MOVE. We have been forced to do a minor change to the design because of regulations. In order to to add more cover to the reel we made plastic parts on the lid that the user can break of in the direction where the line or bead chain is going to run. The pictures are also showing the two types of wall brackets that will be supplied (there will be two of each of the types supplied with every MOVE) and as you can see you will be able to use these in every direction when you mount MOVE, making them very versatile and enabling many different types of installations. -MOVE team

What a great idea.
Where will these be on sale?
Is there any future plans to include z-wave module with the "Move"?

Thanks
N

Offline johnes

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2015, 03:11:05 pm »
How would these (move) integrate into vera?

Offline Slartibartfast

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2015, 03:22:59 pm »
How would these (move) integrate into vera?

Bluetooth on Vera plus?
Devon UK 240V 50Hz
Now on Homeseer

Offline johnes

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2015, 03:38:59 pm »
Oh.........!

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2015, 04:24:20 pm »
Interesting, but have to wait until they arrive now.

Offline intveltr

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2015, 09:42:33 am »
Very nice idea.  They set up a new campaign on Indiegogo for people who missed the Kickstarter one, but still want to pre-order: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/move-motorize-blinds-and-shades#/ 

I'm ordering a couple, but personally I'd have more use for iBlinds; it's too bad that didn't get funded.  I'll probably end up DIY-ing something similar using servos and an Arduino on a MySensors network.
HomeWave is available in the App Store!  Turn your iPhone/iPad into an easy-to-use remote control for Vera.

Offline teamaxis

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 04:25:04 pm »
We've launched something quite similar on Indiegogo called AXIS Gear (we think you'll agree that Gear is more premium solution in terms of aesthetic and functionality).

Most importantly, we're also going to be announcing Z-Wave support later tonight (so Vera integration won't be a problem) and extending the campaign deadline so that anyone interested has a chance to contribute.

Have a look here: igg.me/at/axis-gear

Offline Aaron

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2015, 07:04:05 pm »
We've launched something quite similar on Indiegogo called AXIS Gear (we think you'll agree that Gear is more premium solution in terms of aesthetic and functionality).

Most importantly, we're also going to be announcing Z-Wave support later tonight (so Vera integration won't be a problem) and extending the campaign deadline so that anyone interested has a chance to contribute.

Have a look here: igg.me/at/axis-gear

Thank you for posting this. While I'm looking for a solution like what you are designing, allow me to explain why I will not be purchasing your device...

1) Each device is $100 + $20 per protocol supported.. $120 PER WINDOW!
NOT cost effective considering MOVE is $29 each. And what happens when you have Blinds that have both tilt & raise... you want people to pay $240 per window?  You guys in CAN must be lighting up some serious bud to think that will happen.
My main room has 6 windows. I can replace all of these roll shades with new motorized shades or blinds for about $250 each - thus, brand new units with warranty from the manufacturer. And I can still re-purpose the current shades into another room or sell on ebay and get back about $50 per shade.

2) Every kickstarter I have backed has been late 9 months and a major disappointment. Even one from a company who has a prior successful product that was nearly identical. I will not risk multiple hundreds on this given the poor track record of nearly every project I've seen or heard about.

I suggest you might want to reconsider your features & pricing... window covering manufacturers are dropping prices on motorization. Within 2 years they will very aggressive on selling and pricing entire units.

Best of luck with your adventure. 

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2015, 08:26:21 pm »
@Aaron: I'd have to agree with you on your observations. Unfortunately more premium and more aesthetic always seems to mean way more money.

For what it's worth, I hope their campaign succeeds but I won't be participating either.
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline teamaxis

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2015, 03:42:45 pm »

Thank you for posting this. While I'm looking for a solution like what you are designing, allow me to explain why I will not be purchasing your device...

1) Each device is $100 + $20 per protocol supported.. $120 PER WINDOW!
NOT cost effective considering MOVE is $29 each. And what happens when you have Blinds that have both tilt & raise... you want people to pay $240 per window?  You guys in CAN must be lighting up some serious bud to think that will happen.
My main room has 6 windows. I can replace all of these roll shades with new motorized shades or blinds for about $250 each - thus, brand new units with warranty from the manufacturer. And I can still re-purpose the current shades into another room or sell on ebay and get back about $50 per shade.

2) Every kickstarter I have backed has been late 9 months and a major disappointment. Even one from a company who has a prior successful product that was nearly identical. I will not risk multiple hundreds on this given the poor track record of nearly every project I've seen or heard about.

I suggest you might want to reconsider your features & pricing... window covering manufacturers are dropping prices on motorization. Within 2 years they will very aggressive on selling and pricing entire units.

Best of luck with your adventure.

Thanks for taking your time to go in depth with your response! Honestly, for a $29 price point - we're confident there will be a "get what you pay for" effect - you can choose to utilize off-the-shelf components instead of going custom, but choosing to source low quality components will always compromise noise, speed and lift performance.

$250 for the shade and motor does sound like a pretty good deal! Mind sending over a few links? We would definitely want to look into this and see what features come included with that price.

Definitely can't blame you for being skeptical with crowdfunding campaigns - way too many people have been burned since they've become a thing. Of course, internally we're going out of our way to deliver on our promises (which is why the shipping date is quite far compared to other campaigns - October 2016.)

Offline teamaxis

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2015, 03:50:04 pm »
@Aaron: I'd have to agree with you on your observations. Unfortunately more premium and more aesthetic always seems to mean way more money.

For what it's worth, I hope their campaign succeeds but I won't be participating either.

It's definitely not for everyone but thanks for your support! We actually just hit 100% some time last night!   ;D

Offline Aaron

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2015, 07:13:41 pm »
I just priced adding a motor, battery pack or solar panel, to Bali blinds. It was $150-160, less if they are on sale which happens all to time at Lowes & Home Depot in the range of 15-20% off.

So assuming 20% off, that means adding motorization is about $130.. that comes with a 10 year warranty, totally hidden in the valance, and backed by a huge company. 

I'll be replacing my shades for about $300 per. Then I simply add a bridge for about $100 to interface ALL of my shades and i'm good to go.

So I stand by my comments earlier...
At $30-60 per shade, 3rd party control would be spot on for almost anyone.
At $100-120 per shade, it is not cost effective, and most people wont, unless you have some seriously expensive shades already.

I'm hoping the iBlinds device goes for sale.

Offline teamaxis

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2015, 01:08:49 pm »
I just priced adding a motor, battery pack or solar panel, to Bali blinds. It was $150-160, less if they are on sale which happens all to time at Lowes & Home Depot in the range of 15-20% off.

So assuming 20% off, that means adding motorization is about $130.. that comes with a 10 year warranty, totally hidden in the valance, and backed by a huge company. 

I'll be replacing my shades for about $300 per. Then I simply add a bridge for about $100 to interface ALL of my shades and i'm good to go.

So I stand by my comments earlier...
At $30-60 per shade, 3rd party control would be spot on for almost anyone.
At $100-120 per shade, it is not cost effective, and most people wont, unless you have some seriously expensive shades already.

I'm hoping the iBlinds device goes for sale.

I'm glad you found a solution to your problem, Aaron! Would still be interested in a link as mentioned before but no worries if you're busy.

Without sounding too arrogant, I think you may be misunderstanding that AXIS Gear is not meant to be a cost-effective solution for anyone looking to simply find motorized shades for as cheap as humanly possible. Gear is a cost-effective solution for anyone looking for a premium and elegant device that can motorize their existing window shades that doesn't sacrifice performance or functionality. Think the person that painstakingly took time to pick out window coverings they love and fit the aesthetic of their home and want to later motorize the coverings they love (either because they thought of it after or because cost was a problem when picking out those perfect, beautiful shades) as opposed to the person with paper blinds who cares quite less about the look of their home. Gear is not about waiting for sales, discounts or searching for the lowest price, it's about performance, aesthetic and convenience - and the price reflects this.

Honestly not trying to pick a fight here, our product is not for everyone and it clearly is not for you. With that said, loving the conversation, it's interesting to find people as passionate about blinds and solutions to motorization as we are - who would've known?

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2015, 07:09:49 pm »
I'm glad you found a solution to your problem, Aaron! Would still be interested in a link as mentioned before but no worries if you're busy.

Without sounding too arrogant, I think you may be misunderstanding that AXIS Gear is not meant to be a cost-effective solution for anyone looking to simply find motorized shades for as cheap as humanly possible. Gear is a cost-effective solution for anyone looking for a premium and elegant device that can motorize their existing window shades that doesn't sacrifice performance or functionality. Think the person that painstakingly took time to pick out window coverings they love and fit the aesthetic of their home and want to later motorize the coverings they love (either because they thought of it after or because cost was a problem when picking out those perfect, beautiful shades) as opposed to the person with paper blinds who cares quite less about the look of their home. Gear is not about waiting for sales, discounts or searching for the lowest price, it's about performance, aesthetic and convenience - and the price reflects this.

Honestly not trying to pick a fight here, our product is not for everyone and it clearly is not for you. With that said, loving the conversation, it's interesting to find people as passionate about blinds and solutions to motorization as we are - who would've known?

I don't always agree with Aaron, and I know he seems to ruffle feathers often.

With that said my idea of "premium and elegant" would be to have it integrated and installed by the blind manufacture designed not to be universal but for the blinds you bought. My nicer blinds have no cords hanging down (Levolor cordless Roman shades) so I think I'm out of being able to use your product on my nicer window shades. I too think that 100 per window to add this box on the wall might be a bit more then would I find ideal, but I'm not on the top of the food chain like some.

You obviously hit your goal which means you have enough backers and your product is well liked by "enough" people.  That's all that matters!