Author Topic: TED5000 Communication and Support  (Read 11636 times)

Offline Don Diego

Re: TED5000 Communication and Support
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 06:26:02 am »
Hi--

How about another opinion on TED.

I have used TED (and Vera) in a vacation home (150 miles from home) for the last 9 months. TED has been doing a superb job in monitoring the energy use. It ihas been especially useful in pinpointing energy use problems by my renters (I rent 7-10 weeks a year as the market permits).

For example, the renters who turned the AC way down and left some of the windows open (in July), and then checked out. TED pinpointed the increased energy use and by using Vera I was able to adjusted the thermostat back to a more reasoanble termperature. A call to the rental agent closed the open windows (too bad Vera doesn't do that.. yet).

My two installations of TED (in my house and rental home) have been flawless. The use of TED and Vera together has saved me hundreds of dollars in energy costs and 300 mile round trips drives  (5 hours round trip) to the vacation property.

Engery Inc, who developed TED, is much like MiCasaVerde, a small start up company. Both companies are striving to get a market niche. I have been very happy with both products. Support isn't perfect in either case but the developers REALLY try to help.

Vera 3 (@1.5.622) (3); Vera Plus (2);
Trane/Schlage TStats (1); Schlage Deadbolt (2); Kwikset Lock (3);  GE 45602 Dimmer (14); GE 45603 Dimmer (17); HSM-100 (16); Everspring Siren (8), Everspring Temp/Humidity (4); HSM 200 (1)

Offline DrZWave

• Z-Wave Expert
    • DrZWave Blog
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 09:48:04 am »
How do you install the TED5000 into MVC?
I have the USB version.

Offline DrZWave

• Z-Wave Expert
    • DrZWave Blog
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 11:09:51 am »
I don't need to know how to install a TED 1001 after all.

Anyone want to buy one?

I connected it to my panel but the Ted main unit (RDU) cannot "hear" the MTU (the box in the panel) unless they are literally connected to the same outlet. Even if I put the MTU on the exact same circuit as the RDU it cannot hear it (the green LED does not flash).

I didn't realize the Ted uses powerline communication to talk to the other side. Bad idea. I have designed powerline modems in the past and power line comms are so filled with noise its amazing anything works at all. That's why I've been using ZWave which has it flaws but is still way better than power-line.

Offline Don Diego

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 06:15:14 pm »
Hi DrZWave --

TRD doesn't have to be connected to same outlet, but it needs to be on a circuit without a bunch of electrical noise.  Suggest you try a number of other outlets.
Vera 3 (@1.5.622) (3); Vera Plus (2);
Trane/Schlage TStats (1); Schlage Deadbolt (2); Kwikset Lock (3);  GE 45602 Dimmer (14); GE 45603 Dimmer (17); HSM-100 (16); Everspring Siren (8), Everspring Temp/Humidity (4); HSM 200 (1)

Offline anthonyris

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 01:42:14 pm »
***Update on TED 5000***
- was up in the attic insulating and heard a distinct buzzing noise.
- found an old circuit leading to an unused, unmarked, outdoor Sodium lamp fixture with no switch, junction, etc.
- the bulb and fixture had been removed and a plate put over it.
- HOWEVER, the ballast was still live. And buzzing loudly.

I removed it and had a eureka thought that the old buzzing ballast was probably wreaking havoc/interference on my power lines in the house - foiling my past frolics with TED.

Dug out the old TED 5000-C, and voila! Gateway and MTUs connected and I am currently monitoring my whole house energy usage. (Still don't know why they don't utilize something in addition to PLC for communications, but I guess someone may have mentioned that to them already...!) 

It's pretty darn sensitive, too. Turning on 300 watts of dining room fixtures is reflected immediately and accurately in the TED data. Unplugged the 30w AT&T Microcell, and saw the power usage drop in step. Seeing the curve of Solar generation too on the second MTU, which then adjusts the data to perform Net usage calcs. (jeez, Solar gen so meager in a New York winter...).

Integrated with Google PowerMeter. There's a nice iPhone app too: Ted-O-Meter. Would be GREAT to have this interfacing with Vera. Now to get rid of that 10 year old electric dryer...

.//A.

Old Post ++++++++++++++
FYI. I have the Ted5000 (5002-C). Tried to integrate it into my panel (which also has a co-generation inverter connection to my Solar panels).

After weeks of trying, never got it to work reliably. Seems to be too much noise on my power lines. Between the CFLs, Inverter, Dimmers, etc. I think I saw a reliable reading once...

TED users in newer homes seem to have much better results. My 2 test houses were a 100 year old brownstone and a 40 year old beach house.

My TED is for sale for $200. It's model 5002-C (http://www.theenergydetective.com/ted-5002-c). Brand new!

.//A.
Vera3x2, Leviton, GE dimmers, relays and lamp modules, Sonos, Nests...

Offline woodsby

• Beta Testers
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 02:30:22 pm »
@anthonyris - You picked a funny day to dig this up... I just posted a simple plugin for this here a couple hours ago:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=5371
Vera1 (1.1142), Vera2 (1.1182), VRI06 (12), VRS15 (3), VRS05 (2), VRF01 (2), VRCS4 (2), ZRW113, ZRF113 (2), 45602, 45603, TZMT400 (2), FE599 (2), 99100, Thinkstick, Harmony 890Pro (2), Harmony RF Extender, Nevo S70, Nevo NC-50, Minimote, SQ Remote, SQ Blaster, EtherRain-8, Cliste ActiveRFID, TED5002

Offline anthonyris

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 05:21:57 pm »
Cool. Will check it out. I really need 2 MTU tracking, but will see how it works. BTW, the TED-O-Meter is pretty nice iPhone app...
.//A.

@anthonyris - You picked a funny day to dig this up... I just posted a simple plugin for this here a couple hours ago:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=5371
Vera3x2, Leviton, GE dimmers, relays and lamp modules, Sonos, Nests...