Author Topic: aeon labs energy monitor  (Read 131527 times)

Offline TheKorn

Re: aeon labs energy monitor
« Reply #300 on: May 20, 2015, 06:37:06 pm »
The HEM monitor instruction guide is real specific about how those clamps need to be attached.  You get one backward, and I would expect confusion to result :-).

Ummm...  it does??  All I got with mine was basically, well, *this*:  http://aeotec.com/z-wave-home-energy-measure/135-home-energy-meter-manual-instructions.html

And that doesn't say squat about which direction to point anything.  (Kind of getting annoyed with aeotec; seems that there are better docs out there *somewhere*, just don't have any idea where!)

Offline fullmoonguru

« Reply #301 on: June 06, 2015, 01:53:20 pm »
I just put one in & it came with directions which included pictures.  I'm in the US and it showed #1 with the L toward the panel & #2 installed the opposite way.

Offline rafale77

« Reply #302 on: June 13, 2015, 03:16:29 am »
For those who could be interested, besides creating a scene with luup code to reset the HEM monthly, I wanted to record the KWH before it resets.
I created a virtual device:

-App/Develop App/Create device
-Enter " D_PowerMeter1.xml" in the field "Upnp device filename"
-Enter whatever you want in the field "Description" -> it will be the virtual sensor name...
-Choose a room if applicable
-Click 'Create Device'
-Reload luup
-Now that the device is created, just to make sure it does not disappear, go into the device's advance tab and add a variable. Go to the new service tab. Note the ID of the newly created device for later.
-insert "urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1" in the new service field
-"KWH" under new variable
-"0" as the new value.

I then edited the HEM reset scene by changing the luup code as follows

Code: [Select]
local meterID = 123 ** replace with the device ID of the HEM
local DisplayID = 456 ** replace with the device ID of the created device.
local kwh = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "KWH", meterID)
luup.variable_set("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "KWH", kwh, DisplayID)
luup.call_action("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "ResetKWH", {}, meterID)

Now every month whenever the HEM gets reset, it copies the KWH value into the "last month consumption" device.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:55:11 pm by rafale77 »
127 zwave nodes, 8 zigbee nodes, 256 devices, 17 apps, 128 scenes on a Vera Plus linked with Echo and HomeKit through bridges

Offline citywok

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #303 on: July 05, 2015, 10:49:42 pm »
This device worked okay-ish for a couple days, with a few issues:
* The overall consumption generally doesn't equal the sum of the two smaller numbers (Sometimes it did, it's like it wasn't updating the overall number as often as the parent number?)
* After several days ONLY the overall number is changing, for the last 24 hours the smaller two numbers have been unchanged. 

I tried rebooting both the vera and the sensor and that didn't fix it.  Does anybody have any suggestions?

Offline clippermiami

« Reply #304 on: July 06, 2015, 08:16:19 am »
This device worked okay-ish for a couple days, with a few issues:
* The overall consumption generally doesn't equal the sum of the two smaller numbers (Sometimes it did, it's like it wasn't updating the overall number as often as the parent number?)
* After several days ONLY the overall number is changing, for the last 24 hours the smaller two numbers have been unchanged. 

I tried rebooting both the vera and the sensor and that didn't fix it.  Does anybody have any suggestions?

Wish I could help you but mine (a Gen 1 device)  has stopped working twice in two months. In each case the only way to get it running again was to Exclude/Include the device again. Nothing else I did made any difference; running the reset script, setting the PARM 255 value, etc. Nothing.
Two Vera Plus UI7 Linked via HTTP, 90+ Devices. PlugIns: PLEG, DSC, Blue Iris, MySensors,  AutoVera, ImperiHome, VeraAlerts, EventWatcher

Offline christianm

« Reply #305 on: January 03, 2017, 02:43:18 pm »
I have version 1. Has anyone had Leg 1 Watts stuck on the same number? It's been a day now.

Thanks!

Offline jamac

« Reply #306 on: January 05, 2017, 03:41:29 pm »
Is my HEM dead?

I arranged for an electrician to install my 3-phase 2nd Edition HEM (mains powered). He seems to have followed the installation instructions - at least as far as I can tell - but the HEM's LED is dark and I can't get any signs of life from it. I've tried cycling the power and pressing the action button (a brief press and 10-second reset press) but the LED remains dark at all times. Is there any way of testing whether it's alive?

By the way, I live in Australia and have 240 volt three-phase power.

Offline peterv

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #307 on: January 06, 2017, 04:53:24 pm »
Is my HEM dead?

I arranged for an electrician to install my 3-phase 2nd Edition HEM (mains powered). He seems to have followed the installation instructions - at least as far as I can tell - but the HEM's LED is dark and I can't get any signs of life from it. I've tried cycling the power and pressing the action button (a brief press and 10-second reset press) but the LED remains dark at all times. Is there any way of testing whether it's alive?

By the way, I live in Australia and have 240 volt three-phase power.

I have a 2nd gen US two phase model and my LED is on all the time - solid.

Offline jamac

« Reply #308 on: January 07, 2017, 03:20:37 pm »
I have a 2nd gen US two phase model and my LED is on all the time - solid.
Thanks. There is clearly an issue. I'll check with support.

Offline jjwatmyself

Perfected and working Aeon Home Energy Monitor HEM V1 UI5
« Reply #309 on: January 08, 2017, 11:02:35 am »
I can't remember if I posted this or not, but here is my working config with HEM v1 USB powered on UI5

Firmware version 3.67 is posted on wiki, but not on Aeon's own web site. Download link can be found at:

http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Aeon_HomeEnergyMonitor

Do not add the Energy Plugin.  It's pretty useless and others report performance issues.

Once device is added in Vera, navigate to Device Options:

Need to configure as USB powered (not battery), disable deltas, set a single report group to send all values every 20 seconds.

New Values:

3 1bD 0 (disable deltas)

101 4bD 0 (report group 1 disabled)

103 4bD 6926 (report group 3 all settings) <-- defaults to 4bH which is a typo by the developer, change to 4bD

111 4bD 720 (report group 1 every 720 seconds)

113 4bD 20 (report group 3 every 20 seconds)

20 mon (verify is 1 = USB power)

12 mon (verify is 0 = battery related)

102 mon (verify is 0 report group 2 disabled)

112 mon (verify is 720 report group 2 interval)

Then save, go back to device and click configure node right now.

How to calibrate KWH... the method is exact, but the results are far from perfect. I recommend doing this a few times and finding a value that tracks as close as you can get it.

Feb 23
Vera 235.2970 KWH
Meter outside house 4991 KWH

Feb 26
Vera 272.6540 KWH
Meter outside house 5021 KWH

Delta
Vera 37.357 KWH
Meter outside house 30 KWH

Approx 24% too high (37.357 / 30)

120 /1.24 = 96.36

Change Voltage from 120 to 97, i.e. Device option Variable 1, update from 120 to 97.

Useful links:

Configuring Register 101-103 for HEM Gen 1 and Gen 2 http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3366.0;attach=21720;image

Binary to Decimal to Hexadecimal Converter:
https://www.mathsisfun.com/binary-decimal-hexadecimal-converter.html

Full developer manual: http://www.pepper1.net/zwavedb/uploads/resources/e0b35c0e67818e05ae869d08ec5b236709fcebad.pdf

Another useful link. Most of the values described are incorrect, hence the importance of using the chart and binary converter: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,3366.msg94937.html#msg94937

I may do a dedicated post with this info, which I feel is pretty rock solid.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 11:34:43 am by jjwatmyself »

Offline fitz2380

« Reply #310 on: January 15, 2017, 09:39:59 pm »
jjwatmyself, how do you update the firmware in the AEON HEM V1?  I have version 3.67, but how do i upload it into the HEM device?  How do I tell what my current version is in the device?  My version string as viewed though the VERA UI shows: 3,2,78,3,60.

Offline fitz2380

« Reply #311 on: January 30, 2017, 09:27:58 pm »
I was able to update my firmware and used the parameters that were posted above, but I still have the same issue with Clamp 1 values freezing.  Again as noted probably here and in other posts, I see the 'stray node' message in the log file. This appears whenever a report is being requested for clamp 1.  In addition, if you go  into the variables for this device you will see the capabilities variable for this device is blank. 

I was fortunate to catch it in the log file when it actually broke.  It occurred when I created a scene for another device and the Veralite went through its normal restart which occurs after you create or update a Scene.  During the restart process I see a line in the log file that shows the capabilities variable  for the Clamp 1 device going from the string that was stored in the variable to a 'blank'.  Why would that happen?  What would be causing that capabilities to be overwritten?  Does anyone have any additional input on this?

Offline gulo

« Reply #312 on: February 08, 2017, 11:56:31 pm »
Hello

I just got my gen 1 Aeon unit today and I am struggling mightily to get it to work.

First of all my 103-Report 3 setting show "4 byte hex" and desired value 1B00 with current value 6912. I tried to change it to "4 byte dec" and 6152, but every time I touch this setting I keep getting "failed to update" error. I was able to change some of the other ones like 111 and 113 report intervals and 3-enable delta to 0 but setting 103 always seems to fail.

I haven't mustered the courage to mess with my electric box yet so I put one clamp, and then also both first and second clamp around my dryer power line. In all scenarios when I start the dryer the returned values are between 2 to 6 Watts which seems ridiculously low. During some updates it would even go to 0. Is there some trick to it? Is the dryer power line too thin to support it? What am I doing wrong?

thanks!

Offline trey504

« Reply #313 on: February 09, 2017, 05:07:36 pm »
I'm trying to get the HEM V1 to work also. I got the current values to update by doing the following. On the main device go under Advanced -> Commands -> Click Configure node right now

Offline user1121

« Reply #314 on: February 13, 2017, 11:17:33 pm »
So I set this up, it generated 3 home energy monitor device entries.  One shows watts with values, and KWH with no value.  The next shows watts with values and KWH as a small number too, the third shows both as zero.

What do I need to get the third to, presumably, be the sum of the other two?  Why does the first one show no KWH but the second one does?

It appears the first one has all the device variables, the other two don't have those options.

For what it's worth, the first one also consistently says failed at setting user configuration, although the settings i changes per the recent posts did "take".