We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: UPnP Controllers  (Read 6492 times)

Offline zgoldberg

UPnP Controllers
« on: May 06, 2010, 12:46:51 am »
Hello!

I am a UPnP developer and am really interested in writing applications for the Maemo platform to control UPnP devices.  I already have a UPnP media controller application (Zhaan, http://www.zachgoldberg.com/Zhaan) and am interested in building an application to control home lighting.  However, in my research before building such an appliceation I need hardware that I can control :).  

From looking around the internet it looks like MiCasaVerde is probably the best solution for a "bridge" device between a standard inhome network (like zwave) and UPnP.  Is this true?   I am looking for a device to put in my home which will expose my ZWave (or x10, insteon whatever) devices each as UPnP devices so I can control them via normal UPnP discovery and UPnP actions.  Can the Vera do this?

Thanks!
-zach
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 01:41:52 am by zgoldberg »

guest4690

Re: UPnP Controllers
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 12:51:55 am »
Can the Vera do this?

Yep, that's the main point.

Every device attached to Vera gets a full UPnP description and identification.  Even for internal programming, everything is done using UPnP references.

In fact, writing device plugins (to get new devices attached to Vera) is mostly writing Lua code to join UPnP actions and state variables with the real-world device control interface.

Offline zgoldberg

Re: UPnP Controllers
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 01:40:51 am »
Thats the best news I've heard in a long time :).  I'm putting in my order via amazon right now :)