We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Recommended switches/outlets for recessed LEDs & General Remodel Advice on equip  (Read 5866 times)

Offline curiousB

I doubt metal box makes much difference when used with NMC (Romex). There is plenty of RF leakage on a metal box given the gaps. In any event the antenna tends to be oriented for radiation out the front plate anyway.

I live in IL where conduit for residential is code. I don't have any rf limitations with zwave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
VeraLite (1), Leviton VRI10-1LX (8 ), VP00R-1LZ (5), VRS15-1LX (1), Intermatic CA3500 (10), CA5100 (1), Aeon Labs DSC26103 (5), Foscam FI8918W (2) , FI9821W V2 (1), DLINK DCS-932L (2), DCS-930L (1), GE45604 (2), GE45603 (5), Honeywell RTH8580WF (2), HA-09WD (1), Kwikset 910TRL ZW (1), Aeon MMote (2)

Offline Slartibartfast

I doubt metal box makes much difference when used with NMC (Romex). There is plenty of RF leakage on a metal box given the gaps. In any event the antenna tends to be oriented for radiation out the front plate anyway.

I live in IL where conduit for residential is code. I don't have any rf limitations with zwave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I know you can get away with it most times but I only raised it just in case. I do know of occasions where it is the straw that broke he camels back and communication was lost.
I have one location with a metal box where it does communicate with Vera okay but I have lost an association link with another device. It works hanging  out of the box but not screwed in.
Devon UK 240V 50Hz
Now on Homeseer

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member

While it's great that you have not experienced any issues, others should not be misguided that metal boxes do not have an impact. Metal boxes definitely affect the Z-Wave signal.