- What side are the motors on? Is this the side I should mount run the wires on?
Depends on the shade or blind. On most of them you can pick the side.
I was referring specifically to the Bali with Autoview. I would assume these are the same?
- I have some windows that are likely going to result in a run longer than 50 feet. Should I buy some 16 guage cable for these?
Yes. DC current has more voltage drop
Would speaker wire work? It seems I can get speaker wire cheaper than regular 16/2 cable.
- I want to start installing the wires while the walls are open, what would be the best way to determine where to poke the wire through the window frame? Do I need to order a shade just to get the brackets and use as a template on the rest of the windows?
They are all different depending on the type. I would even order all the shades now.
Again, if I stuck with all Bali Autoview would they be pretty consistent? ... or should I just drill a hole in the jamb extension next to the window frame so it will be hidden by the shade bar. I bought 18/5 wire in the hopes that some of the other wires could be used for glass break sensors down the road.
- I am planning on ordering them off of Blinds.com. Do I need to order the battery powered shades since they will be DC and wire them up to the power leads?
There are different types of motors. Some are DC some are AC 110V direct. Again it all depends on what you order. Most are DC these days since battery are a bit convenient to use, requiring no wiring. The AC/DC converter then is extra money.
So I assume that I can power the shades via a 12V wire? I found an older video that shows how to do this with the older bali line of shades. I assume this can still be done with the Autoview?
- Which battery option do I need to select at blinds.com, single or dual filled reloadable battery wand?
Dual offer more capacity... changing less frequently
Same internals otherwise? If I want to wire for 12V, does it matter which I go with? If I do go with the batteries, what size do they use. Are the dual filled AA? Would they work OK with Eneloop rechargables?