Author Topic: UI7 - Thermostat device not updating current temp  (Read 2595 times)

Offline Thorden

UI7 - Thermostat device not updating current temp
« on: August 03, 2016, 06:48:24 am »
Hi all,

I have 2 Multireg thermostats for underfloor heating from Thermo-Floor (called HeatIt Zwave Thermostat in some markets).

Both suddenly stopped updating temperature reading in UI7 on the thermostat device. The temperature sensor child device updates as before, and is showing the correct temperature of the physical thermostat. But the UI7 thermostat device itself is showing a static, wrong Temperature (CurrentTemperature variable).
Polling, configuring, changing SetPoints or other operations on the physical or UI7 thermostat device does not update the CurrentTemperature variable.

I have 2 more of these thermostats on UI5 in my vacation home, no such issues there.

Any ideas?
Firmware 1.7.2043

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 07:00:25 am by Thorden »

Offline Kahrax

Re: UI7 - Thermostat device not updating current temp
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 03:28:26 am »
Same issue here. Added 3 new heatIt/Multireg thermostats yesterday. Does not show current temperature. Child temperature sensor appears to be updating correctly.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 04:21:01 am by Kahrax »

Offline Thorden

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 07:03:18 am »
I believe a support ticket is the way to go here. This used to work just fine, so maybe a Firmware update caused it?

Offline bjornahlvik

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 02:11:16 pm »
Same problem here. Started after last fw update.

Offline Thorden

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 11:41:15 am »
I submitted a ticket a week ago.

Status so far: They responded after two days and asked me to enable remote support.
Then the next day they told me the obvious, that the value did not update since the device didn't report a value to the Vera thermostat device. Then asked me to exclude, reset and re-include the device.

I responded that such action makes absolutely no sense, since the physical device in fact reports correctly to the Vera child device's Temperature Sensor, it is just not displayed in the Vera main thermostat device. I don't believe both Vera devices (parent and child) is polling the thermostat for the current temperature, so that the main device don't receive this from the thermostat is not the problem. It has been silent since.   

I don't want to exclude and re-include devices if it isn't absolutely necessary, they are parts of both scenes and mobile UI's that needs to be reconfigured every time.
Anyway, today I did exclude, power off, power on and re-include one of them, twice. Nothing changed, reported back to support.

Please submit tickets of your own with the same issue. Enable remote support, and send the line below "Tech support is enabled". Tell them the name and ID# of the device, and child device. And please tell them that exclude/include does not change anything, or that is the first thing they will make you waste time on. :(

« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 11:43:59 am by Thorden »

Offline Thorden

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 12:19:13 pm »
By the way, this LUA code is a brute solution as a temporary fix. It will simply copy the correct temperature from the child (Temperature sensor) to the parent (Thermostat). Schedule it to run in a scene every minute or so.

local CurrentTemp = luup.variable_get("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSensor1", "CurrentTemperature", Your_Child_Device_ID)
luup.variable_set("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSensor1", "CurrentTemperature", CurrentTemp, Your_Parent_Device_ID)

You could make it more elegant by using luup.variable_watch to trigger the copy function only when temperature changes if you want to, result will be the same.

Offline ricciolo

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 03:35:36 am »
Same issue with MCO MH7 thermostat.
Are you able to set auto mode?

Offline Thorden

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 03:48:13 am »
Yes, I can set mode to Auto in Vera, and it will report "Success! Transmit was OK"
Not that it makes any sense for a heating only thermostat that doesn't have this mode. It will revert to heat by itself.

Offline Chrisfraser05

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 04:09:11 pm »
Tagging on, I've just noticed the same issue with my one.

Maybe doing it all along but as I was using tasker I never noticed.
Using imperihome again now and noticed it happening.

Offline killerb

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 06:16:02 pm »
Yep same here.

All last winter it worked perfectly. First cool day we turned on the heat I noticed that the reported temp never changed.

I tried everything I could read/find on the CT32 or Ct30 tstats for this issue. Reset the tstat, un-paired, re-paired, paired with only C-wire, Paired on Batteries, reset tstat again. No combination would do it and it now just show's 0 degrees all the time.

My Imperihome widget used to show the current temp but since I re added it the widgets act like the tstat doesn't even have the capability. Just mode and temp up and down functions.

In the meantime I just look at my aeon 4in1 sensor for the room temp (it's a bit off from the tstat but better than nothing I guess)

I did notice over the summer that I started getting notifications that the tstat was "not responding". If I hit temp up or down it would work fine and the notification would go away. This still happens and is probably my biggest complaint. I imagine it's related to the temp not reporting as they likely both started happening about the same time.

I figured this was all probably my cheap ebay tstats problem but after reading more and more and finding this thread I think it might have been a firmware update. Seems like they always break something or things don't work quite right for a little while after. I know there were a few updates over the summer and since my tstat is for heat only I didn't notice much of an issue other than the tstat randomly saying "not responding"and then "responding again".

The tstat still works fine and even the alexa beta works great with it. It always changes the temperature regardless of the "not responding" alert so I haven't given this issue much thought lately. I think I'll continue to monitor this thread and perhaps open a support case for more visibility on this issue.

I see we just had a firmware update, maybe I'll give the unpair, re-pair, restart dance another go. (Unfortunately didn't see anything about this issue in the firmware release notes)

Oh one last thing. I see several people mentioning a "Child device", was this something specifically added? Mine only has the tstat and no others since I paired day one.

Offline Thorden

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 07:04:23 am »

Oh one last thing. I see several people mentioning a "Child device", was this something specifically added? Mine only has the tstat and no others since I paired day one.

Please submit a ticket for this issue. I did a long time ago, support got some logs, then never heard back from them.

The Child device is probably a device specific thing. The HeatIt/Multireg present itself to the controller both as a thermostat and a temperature sensor as a child device.

Offline ddavid

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 12:39:33 pm »
I submitted a ticket a week ago.

Status so far: They responded after two days and asked me to enable remote support.
Then the next day they told me the obvious, that the value did not update since the device didn't report a value to the Vera thermostat device. Then asked me to exclude, reset and re-include the device.

I responded that such action makes absolutely no sense, since the physical device in fact reports correctly to the Vera child device's Temperature Sensor, it is just not displayed in the Vera main thermostat device. I don't believe both Vera devices (parent and child) is polling the thermostat for the current temperature, so that the main device don't receive this from the thermostat is not the problem. It has been silent since.   

I don't want to exclude and re-include devices if it isn't absolutely necessary, they are parts of both scenes and mobile UI's that needs to be reconfigured every time.
Anyway, today I did exclude, power off, power on and re-include one of them, twice. Nothing changed, reported back to support.

Please submit tickets of your own with the same issue. Enable remote support, and send the line below "Tech support is enabled". Tell them the name and ID# of the device, and child device. And please tell them that exclude/include does not change anything, or that is the first thing they will make you waste time on. :(

Do you have any progress with this? Today I installed my first (of 7 planned) Heatit thermostats and see the same, with just an exception that the child device does not show any temperature...

Offline Thorden

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 03:21:54 pm »
Sorry, no progress.
I went around it by using "variable watch" in LUA startup. It just triggers a scene when temp changes, and copies the value from the child temp sensor to the termostat device. Of course, if you don't have a temp reading at all, that's another challenge.

Offline alekseyzp

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 08:07:34 am »
By the way, this LUA code is a brute solution as a temporary fix.

Hi.
Help me please.
I'm just starting to work with Vera and have little knowledge.
I have the same prohlem with thermostat - the temperature from the child sensor is not displayed.
Please tell me how to make a scene with the launch of this LUA code?
I did it in window the Test code - and it worked!
How to make a scene with a poll of 120 or 300 seconds?
Thankyou.

P.S. I created a file PollingTS10temp.lua with this content:
Code: [Select]
-- copy the correct temperature from the child

local CurrentTemp = luup.variable_get("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSensor1", "CurrentTemperature", 13)
luup.variable_set("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSensor1", "CurrentTemperature", CurrentTemp, 10)

luup.sleep(30000)
It is right? Will it work and be executed every 30 seconds?

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 08:48:31 am by alekseyzp »

Offline Thorden

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 10:45:36 am »
I would't use the Sleep function. Instead, just schedule the scene to run at the interval you choose. You find it under Scenes/Trigger/Schedule.
That is the brute solution.

The more elegant one is to utilize the "Variable Watch" function. This way, you trigger the scene only when the temperature reading changes.

Here's how:
1) Go to Apps/Develop Apps/Edit Startup Lua
2) Add this code:

luup.variable_watch("callSceneCopyTemp","urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSensor1","CurrentTemperature",<Your temperature sensor device ID>)
function callSceneCopyTemp()
   luup.call_action("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HomeAutomationGateway1", "RunScene", {SceneNum = <Your scene ID/Number goes here>}, 0)
end

Reboot, and that's it.  :)