Author Topic: First impressions of VeraPlus (coming from SmartThings)  (Read 3607 times)

Online RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
Re: First impressions of VeraPlus (coming from SmartThings)
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 06:45:13 am »
I think we can fill more white space with shorter names!

Offline cleverina

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 05:21:58 am »
Here's really cool article - How can smartthings developer help you in a smart home development - https://www.cleveroad.com/blog/how-can-smartthings-developer-help-you-in-a-smart-home-development

Offline strohlde

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 04:12:14 pm »
Fascinating thread - thanks to all for your comments and thoughts.

I'm a software engineer, fascinated by HA and playing around with the technologies. I've had X10 for a while  - mostly cheap and effective but lack of feedback (no status responses) and variable reliability led me first to Insteon (very good, but pricey and limited) and then on to Smartthings, Vera and Homeseer. Basically I'm still looking for the perfect solution.

ST is slick - but flaky. I wrote an X10 controller interface and then the next upgrade broke it in some undocumented way. I think it's a very nice toy but not there in full HA mode.

Vera is very good but the UI is horrid, and Z-wave inclusion is a bit random. However most of what I've wanted to do, I can do in Vera.

I have Homeseer a trial (actually bought the software and then had it refunded after I didn't like it). UI is very complete but looks about 10 years old. I don't run windows and HS is less complete on Linux so that was a downside. Hardware and software are expensive, particularly when you start adding in all the missing bits at $49 a pop!

Currently playing with Openhab2 - and this could be my final solution. It's getting better and better, but still has a steep learning curve (and big holes in the documentation). However the community support is the best, and it covers a huge number of bases. Still playing but so far I like it.

There's lots of others out there too - Domoticz looks pretty good too, but life is too short to try everything- and Z-wave exclusion/inclusion is a real pain, but as I'm starting to plan my next big HA project (renovating a house) I think I'm going to go Z-wave everywhere, sell my X10 kit, but integrate with Alexa (Google home if it comes to the UK?) and Hue.

If there's any good tech I've missed, let me know!

I've been playing around with Home Assistant and have found some interesting things on using Node Red.

Online RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2017, 06:03:29 pm »
Is you speak English like a yank and not the queen ... you should be able to use  http://VeraConcierge.com with Google Home.
I understand Google Home is available in the UK now.

It's been on my list of things to do to link PLEG with Node Red as an input and source of events.