Author Topic: Help - Homewave changes not saving  (Read 870 times)

Offline jamac

Help - Homewave changes not saving
« on: November 12, 2016, 02:51:15 pm »
I've got a frustrating problem. I'm using Homewave on an ipad as my home automation front end. I am using version 2.4 and have 11 control panels.

Sometimes when i start Homewave it will revert back to a prior version of my GUI and all of the changes that I've made have 'disappreared'. Often I will have lost several iterations on changes (ie, not just the most recent changes). I'm vigilant in saving my changes and the configuration as I go. However, when I load the configuration - it's not the latest version either!

Something is definitely no quite right!

Has anyone seen similar behavior?

Offline mda

Re: Help - Homewave changes not saving
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 05:08:36 pm »
Perhaps try saving the config to Dropbox, deleting HomeWave, installing HomeWave again from the App Store, and loading the configuration back in?

Offline jamac

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 09:51:52 pm »
Thanks.

Some further information. I received a message from Datamine earlier today that my Vera had restarted and that i should reload the graphing GUI. When I did that Datamine was showing that I only had 2 graph channels rather than ~19.

So... I suspect something is causing my Vera to crash and restart, which is then causing certain plugins (eg, Homewave and Datamine) to lose configuration data.

I'll do some more investigating...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 05:14:39 am by jamac »

Offline intveltr

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 05:24:12 am »
A crashing Vera should not affect the configuration of HomeWave!  When you save your changes, does the app crash at all? 

The advice to save a good config to Dropbox is a good one, just in case...
HomeWave is available in the App Store!  Turn your iPhone/iPad into an easy-to-use remote control for Vera.

Offline jamac

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 09:02:29 pm »
The app doesn't crash and the changes appears to save (ie, I can close the app and open it a number of times and the changes are still 'there'). But then I'll open the app again - often several days later - and it has reverted to an old configuration.

Vera support cleared some cache files and suggested that I delete a couple of plugins, which I've done. But the configuration file is saved on the ipad (or dropbox) not the Vera so this 'housekeeping' won't fix the issue.

I also saved the configuration to dropbox, deleted the app, reinstalled it and re-loaded the configuration. This worked but didn't solve the problem.

I've resorted to religiously saving the configuration to both the ipad and dropbox. This has limited the impact of the issue but I'm still losing changes.

Not sure if its relevant but I have quite a complex configuration with 11 control screens - lots of dimmer sliders and on/off buttons and quite a few web tiles.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 12:15:04 am by jamac »

Offline intveltr

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 08:26:15 am »
11 Screens is by no means at the limit of what the app can handle.  I've looked into this issue further, but I haven't found anything that could cause this.  I've also not have anyone else report this bug.

Have you lost changes after saving and reloading a config from Dropbox?
HomeWave is available in the App Store!  Turn your iPhone/iPad into an easy-to-use remote control for Vera.

Offline jamac

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 03:39:33 pm »
Thanks for looking into this.

Yes, it's happened a couple of times since I started saving the configuration file to dropbox.

I'm trying to establishing if there is a pattern. I'll report back if I notice anything.