Author Topic: Echo Skill Beta  (Read 44960 times)

Offline patrickspc

Re: Echo Skill Beta Warning make Room names and Switch names unique
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2016, 10:55:49 pm »
Native Amazon Echo integration - Warning Names

? Reply #727 on: Today at 07:40:47 pm ?
Wow, that was easy till I broke it ;{(

Before you use this, make Room names and Switch names unique (you'll later add groups in Echo, make these unique also)
(Echo also has a problem with device names with compass directions (North West), Flood and Night in the device names) 

So I set up a Room call Dining room, a Switch call Dining Room and Dining Room Nightlight.
If I ask Echo to turn on the dining room lights, it says "Which one"

So I changed the Room name to Upper Level, and Dining Room Nightlight to just Nightlight.
Went to Echo and "Forget all devices and Groups"
Deleted Vera Smarter Home Control.
Went to the "Amazon Alexa Beta: Participation Confirmed" email and re-enabled the Skill
And went to Echo and Discover Devices
Dining Room worked.
I then voice tested all switches, still had some conflicts so I Deleted Vera Smarter Home Control and re-enabled it.
But now when I click "Discover Devices" , nothing appears ;{(

So forewarned, before you use this, make Room names and Switch names unique otherwise you'll have to say "Echo, turn on Dinning Room, Dinning Room.

Updating the Firmware fixed me. 

Advanced: (in Vera)
URL for custom Vera firmware: (enter URL from the following link for your model)

http://support.getvera.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2645453   
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 09:51:55 pm by patrickspc »

Offline Dpc131

Re: Echo Skill Beta
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 12:47:35 am »
I wonder if I can hook it up to multiple ones...

Works fine with my ECho and my Dot

I meant multiple Vera's actually... :-)

Oh....well, my old Vera lite that I never unregistered was listed alongside my Vera edge on the page to add your devices with Alexa. So, I would assume yes, but then again.....this is Vera

Offline RogerO

Re: Echo skill beta
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2016, 10:58:07 am »
Can anyone else confirm that the requirement to say the room before the device goes away once Echo learns the device list. Is the room name requirement an Alexa requirement or a Vera implementation of the Skills API? Requiring the room name is really cumbersome.

Offline patrickspc

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2016, 11:42:14 am »
Before you use this, make Room names and Switch names unique (you'll later add groups in Echo, make these unique also)
(Echo also has a problem with device names with compass directions (North West), Flood and Night in the device names) 

So I set up a Room call Dining room, a Switch call Dining Room and Dining Room Nightlight.
If I ask Echo to turn on the dining room lights, it says "Which one"

So I changed the Room name to Upper Level, and Dining Room Nightlight to just Nightlight.
Went to Echo and "Forget all devices and Groups"
Deleted Vera Smarter Home Control.
Went to the "Amazon Alexa Beta: Participation Confirmed" email and re-enabled the Skill
And went to Echo and Discover Devices
Dining Room worked.
I then voice tested all switches, still had some conflicts so I Deleted Vera Smarter Home Control and re-enabled it.
But now when I click "Discover Devices" , nothing appears ;{(

So forewarned, before you use this, make Room names and Switch names unique otherwise you'll have to say "Echo, turn on Dinning Room, Dinning Room.

Offline CelticWebs

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 06:15:00 pm »
Has anybody managed to get this to work in UK yet? 

I seem to be able to add the skill, but nothing is discovered, when it adds skill it uses the .com address so I'm not sure if it's linking to my UK vera properly...

Offline ojovilla

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 06:48:14 pm »
Seems to be working fine, wish I didn't have to say "Turn on " for scenes. A key word like "Activate" would be more appropriate.

Regards!

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2016, 06:53:24 pm »
Or "engage" or "make it so"
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2016, 07:03:45 pm »
What about 'close the pod bay doors HAL' and 'open the pod bay doors HAL' for garage doors? Or Shield UP and Shields DOWN for alarm system...
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2016, 07:05:04 pm »
"I do not think I can do that, Dave"
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline richardbowman

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2016, 07:08:25 pm »
Does anyone have scenes working? They didn't show up in my list of things to enable, the beta release notes I thought mention scenes should work

Offline wezley69

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2016, 07:24:32 pm »
I see no scenes and I absolutely know I am not seeing all of my devices.  But again a beta.

Offline wezley69

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2016, 07:40:41 pm »
Love the thread!   ;D

Offline CelticWebs

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2016, 07:42:35 pm »
What about 'close the pod bay doors HAL' and 'open the pod bay doors HAL' for garage doors? Or Shield UP and Shields DOWN for alarm system...

Alexa has built in replies for those already, so it would probably interfere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TonyW

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2016, 07:49:20 pm »

I seem to be able to add the skill, but nothing is discovered, when it adds skill it uses the .com address so I'm not sure if it's linking to my UK vera properly...

It is not working for me in the UK.  I have ticked to select the devices, enabled the skill, and run discord but Alexa does not find any of my Vera devices.

Offline CelticWebs

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2016, 09:38:45 pm »

It is not working for me in the UK.  I have ticked to select the devices, enabled the skill, and run discord but Alexa does not find any of my Vera devices.

Such a shame!  Seemingly yet another Alexa UK failing! 

All the good stuff is US only still!  I love the idea of Echo but I'm having to create custom skills and workarounds for things that US users have by just installing a skill!