Author Topic: UI7 ▾ Version 7.0.19 (1.7.902/1.7.2406/1.7.2414) ▾ December 12, 2016  (Read 5684 times)

Offline u20111223

• Sr. Newbie
Re: UI7 ▾ Version 7.0.19 (1.7.902/1.7.2406/1.7.2414) ▾ December 12, 2016
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2017, 02:08:07 am »
How about editing user_data.json.lzo to see if that solves your problem?

Maybe something like this:

ssh root@my.vera.ip.address
mkdir ~/tmp
cp /etc/cmh/user_data.json.lzo ~/tmp
cd ~/tmp
pluto-lzo d user_data.json.lzo user_data.json.lzo.uncompressed
exit

scp root@my.vera.ip.address:/root/tmp/user_data.json.lzo.uncompressed
python -m json.tool user_data.json.lzo.uncompressed > user_data.json.lzo.uncompressed.json

// edit the file and take out characters
vi user_data.json.lzo.uncompressed.json
scp user_data.json.lzo.uncompressed.json root@my.vera.ip.address:/root/tmp/

cd ~/tmp
pluto-lzo user_data.json.lzo.uncompressed.json user_data.json.lzo.changed
cp user_data.json.lzo.changed /etc/cmh/user_data.json.lzo
reboot;exit

Offline u20111223

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2017, 11:31:05 am »
I'm back in good shape this morning.  I'm guessing it had something to do with time/leap seconds and when I coincidently chose to upgrade.

Thanks to @JoeTomasone for his time post that tipped me off.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,41294.0.html

I updated my VeraPlus to 1.7.2414 this evening and noticed that the iOS Vera app no longer works.  I'm running iOS 10.2.1 and the app will open then flash away.  It's still running in the background but when you bring it back to the foreground it gets backgrounded as soon as the refresh is complete.  I tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling it with the same results.  I rebooted the controller and pulled the power with the same results.  I also cleared out the zwave logs and reloaded the engine and no luck.

Not really sure where to go from here apart from waiting on a new iOS app or firmware release to resolve the issue.  The web interface at home.getvera.com works fine.  I've also noticed that my scenes aren't working reliably any more after the upgrade.

Anyone else seen these problems on this version?

Offline rafale77

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2017, 11:53:57 pm »
Can't figure out what is going on. I am trying to edit a scene and indeed I keep getting a "failed to save system configuration".
I tried to edit another "test" scene and was able to save correctly. I even added some special characters to the LUA code and it saved fine.

Then I tried to copy and paste the Lua code from one scene to this test scene and now the "Save lua" button no longer works. If I delete the code and type anything else, it saves....

It looks like there is a specific part of the lua code which is causing problems. pasted it in the test Luup code and works fine.

I am guessing that a failsafe has been implemented to prevent corrupting characters but the result is that it is preventing the scene from being saved instead. Even if the current Lua code is valid, making any edits to the scene is causing it to check the code again. It's frustrating...

Edit:
I found it! I have an " ' " in one of the text strings preventing the scene from being saved.

Edit 2:
ok removing the apostrophe enables the "Save Lua code" button but somehow the scene still won't save and I am still getting the "failed to save system configuration"
Not sure if the beta FW had this problem. This is such an idiotic problem.

Edit 3:
Found the reason for the scene saving failure: It seems any trigger Lua code added to scene would prevent it from being saved.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 12:25:23 am by rafale77 »
112 zwave nodes, 8 zigbee nodes, 231 devices, 17 apps, 100 scenes on a Vera Plus linked with Echo and HomeKit through bridges

Offline Spanners

• https://www.livehouseautomation.com.au
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2017, 01:13:18 am »
How about editing user_data.json.lzo to see if that solves your problem?

Maybe something like this:

mkdir ~/tmp
cp /etc/cmh/user_data.json.lzo ~/tmp
cd ~/tmp
pluto-lzo d user_data.json.lzo user_data.json.lzo.uncompressed
exit

scp root@my.vera.ip.address:/root/tmp/user_data.json.lzo.uncompressed
python -m json.tool user_data.json.lzo.uncompressed > user_data.json.lzo.uncompressed.json

// edit the file and take out characters
vi user_data.json.lzo.uncompressed.json
scp user_data.json.lzo.uncompressed.json root@my.vera.ip.address:/root/tmp/

cd ~/tmp
pluto-lzo user_data.json.lzo.uncompressed.json user_data.json.lzo.changed
cp user_data.json.lzo.changed /etc/cmh/user_data.json.lzo
reboot;exit

Working through this, currently looking at my user_data.json.lzo.uncompressed in Notepad++ - problem now is just not knowing how to see what's messed up. Any pointers on what to look for?

Offline reneboer

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2017, 04:29:04 am »
I'm in the same boat on my VeraLite. After the upgrade it worked fine, could save all my scenes with LUA without any issue. However, after some time not the start up LUA and now everything stopped. I have looked at the user_data, but nothing seems to stick out.  I have a ticket open, but only reply I got was to re-enable remote support, but that is still enabled.

So no solution for you, still waiting. Maybe have to install ALTUI again just to get it all working again. That worked for the last year when the Vera code was failing on saving.

Cheers Rene
2xVeraLite, VeraEdge, openLuup, ALTUI, 20 switches, 10 dimmers, 20 sensors, 10 scene controllers, 1 Harmony Hub, many plug-ins. Not enough time.

Offline u20111223

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2017, 11:05:46 am »
Working through this, currently looking at my user_data.json.lzo.uncompressed in Notepad++ - problem now is just not knowing how to see what's messed up. Any pointers on what to look for?

Looking at post #32 above it looks like there may be some characters that the new firmware doesn't deal with properly.  Maybe they changed character sets or started doing additional validation in this release.

Here's what mine look like and they work fine.  Of course the command to extract them from the pretty json file we created is line number specific to my file so you'd need to edit the file and see where your scenes start and end.  The "name" tags are what you would be looking for.  Make sure they don't have an special characters.  I have seen where single tick quotes are not the 0x27h single quote.  Verify with the ASCII table.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ascii+table&t=canonical&ia=web

sed -n '8150,8445p' user_data.json.lzo.uncompressed.json | grep -E 'modeStatus|name' | grep -v '                    '

"modeStatus": "",
            "name": "Bathroom Fan Off",
            "modeStatus": "0",
            "name": "Bathroom Fan On With Light",
            "name": "Porch Light Off",
            "name": "Porch Light On",
            "name": "Outside Off",
            "name": "SinkLightOnWithKitchen",

Offline rafale77

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2017, 08:03:39 pm »
Out of despair, I ended up downgrading the FW to 1.7.1754 (7.0.13), made the edits and upgraded back.
Even the downgrade is very time consuming and tedious.
I had to unplug the ethernet during the initial bootup to prevent the unit from wanting to upgrade back to 1.7.2414.

It all works now but I can't say I am happy with how gross the bug is and how it could make it to a released FW version let alone 5 of them.

When your firmwares are so buggy, you shouldn't force people to upgrade and certainly make it so difficult to downgrade (force upgrade on bootup and force to reset all settings upon downgrade).
What should take 5 seconds to do (editing Lua codes) now takes hours and a lot of trickery.

112 zwave nodes, 8 zigbee nodes, 231 devices, 17 apps, 100 scenes on a Vera Plus linked with Echo and HomeKit through bridges

Offline robie

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2017, 06:22:24 pm »
Hi. Im encountering the following issues on the new firmware 1.7.2414. I've reconfigured my entire system and it's still the same. Issues are reported today to vera but im posting to warn those who will upgrade. Ofcourse, if the forum recommends a solution on the issues better.

1. The configurations doesn't always save to the device - ex. When i add a few devices as favorite devices, it will reflect in my dashboard for a short duration but when i refresh my browser, it will be removed again. This happens also when i change my yale deadbolt lock's pin code, when i added my smoke sensor and when i add scenes. The same problem if i change in my windows pc and android devices. This was most frustrating as it prolonged my reconfiguration to a whole day as i kept retrying to change settings and it randomly worked.

2. My aeon smart switch 6 stopped reporting energy consumption. Despite resetting device, unpairing and re-pairing, it still doesn't report my energy consumption since the new firmware.

3. My GoControl motion sensor stopped reporting motion detection. It also changed icon from "a circle with a man running that turns red when there is motion" to "a static mini motion detetector". I've also noticed that upon re-pairing it now adds a separate temperature sensor device which also doesn't work.

It was disappointing to upgrade firmware. Hope this is not the norm at vera or on smart home devices
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 06:24:50 pm by robie »

Offline Pietor

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2017, 05:24:30 am »
Out of despair, I ended up downgrading the FW to 1.7.1754 (7.0.13), made the edits and upgraded back.
Even the downgrade is very time consuming and tedious.
I had to unplug the ethernet during the initial bootup to prevent the unit from wanting to upgrade back to 1.7.2414.

It all works now but I can't say I am happy with how gross the bug is and how it could make it to a released FW version let alone 5 of them.

When your firmwares are so buggy, you shouldn't force people to upgrade and certainly make it so difficult to downgrade (force upgrade on bootup and force to reset all settings upon downgrade).
What should take 5 seconds to do (editing Lua codes) now takes hours and a lot of trickery.

I had exactly the same problem with the newest firmware, when saving lua code in a scene, it looked like it saved the scene, but in fact it gave a failed to save system configuration error. Downgraded to prvious version and then had to correct all my scene lua because it got corrupted (+ and % signs got replaced by random characters). After repairing, all is working fine again but still on older firmware. You upgraded to the newest firmware after this and now no problems?

Offline rafale77

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2017, 11:01:15 am »

I had exactly the same problem with the newest firmware, when saving lua code in a scene, it looked like it saved the scene, but in fact it gave a failed to save system configuration error. Downgraded to prvious version and then had to correct all my scene lua because it got corrupted (+ and % signs got replaced by random characters). After repairing, all is working fine again but still on older firmware. You upgraded to the newest firmware after this and now no problems?

Every firmware has at least one killer bug so it is a pick your poison problem. 7.0.13 enables me to edit and save scenes with LUA codes in the trigger section. 7.0.19 can't do this but is the only other firmware which enables saving special characters in the scene execution LUA code.
7.0.13 for me is excruciating slow and has tons of bug (no Zigbee etc). 7.0.19 is what I run until I have to create a scene with LUA in the trigger. Then I will downgrade again unless MCV fixes these bugs instead of adding new features between beta and official releases.

Offline YzRacer

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2017, 10:53:01 pm »
I just got back in town and my Vera had been having issues on the July build so I went ahead with the latest upgrade. It turned into a 2 hour mind blowing experience, here are the details:

Never had a failed upgrade before, but there's a first time for everything. After 20 minutes of waiting I decided to give it a reboot. I gave it 40 minutes on that and just had the flashing power red/green along with USB lights blinking. I figured at this point it was a bust so I pulled it down and connected to the PC to reset.

Code: [Select]
flash_eraseall -j /dev/mtd7
sync
echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger

This got me to a solid green light and an ssh connection to the 81.1 IP but no web interface. I got the failed to load page even with another reboot, and at one point it even rebooted itself. At this point I decided to get it back on the network and so I hooked up the WAN port and bam - I was able to load the web gui at the static IP (assigned in my router). Once it was up I had a welcome screen on the dashboard and no devices, as if it was reset completely. I checked the firmware page and saw it was on the latest version so I powered down and put it back where it normally sits.

Upon next reboot I logged in again and it was downloading some plugins. All of my devices were restored! Everything seems to be working so far, and I can only assume that once it finally booted on the new firmware that it runs a command to restore all the settings. I'm sure someone here can explain the technical details of how this happens.

Moral of the story is I'm glad I didn't reflash the firmware, and that even after using telnet to issue the reset commands it still managed to finish the upgrade and restore all of my configuration.

Offline robie

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2017, 02:14:19 am »
 I have a relatively new installation and new to smart home devices. Does vera take action on the reported bugs here? What happens after we post the issues here? Does Vera monitor the boards?

Online RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2017, 07:24:35 am »
NO this is a user forum.
If you want Vera Support you need to contact them via email ... or better by phone.

Offline robie

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2017, 10:55:31 pm »
NO this is a user forum.
If you want Vera Support you need to contact them via email ... or better by phone.

That's unfortunate, it could be better.  Atleast, let me warn other users on the current veraplus upgrade.  It has security risks among other non-functioning issues.  My veraplus switches modes by itself.  My experience is that it switches to Away Mode either from Home Mode or from Night Mode.  So my night mode security alarms were disabled already for several nights since the update.  Im also more worried that it will switch to Home mode or unlock the doors when it's not supposed to.

Online Don Phillips

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2017, 09:39:34 am »
Perhaps you can set up a scene to notify you when Vera switches modes.  At least you will know about it and can change it back.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.919, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.