Author Topic: Honeywell RedLink Internet Gateway  (Read 673 times)

Offline jambalto

Honeywell RedLink Internet Gateway
« on: January 09, 2017, 05:00:43 pm »
Hey Gang,
New to VeraPlus and the forum.  I saw a plugin for Honeywell Thermostats on MCV's plugin page.  I currently have two Honeywell Prestige IAQ 2.0 THX9421 touchscreen thermostats with two associated EIM(Equipment Interface Modules).  I saw that Honeywell makes a RedLink Internet Gateway to allow you to control these via an iOS APP or via a PC.  Here's my question:  If I purchase the RedLink Internet Gateway and use the MCV plugin for the TCC thermostats, will that allow me to control the thermostats via my VeraPlus?

Don't want to waste any money buying the RedLink Internet Gateway if it's not compatible with that Vera MCV plugin.  Thanks in advance for your insight and advice.

Regards

Offline MarcusB

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Honeywell RedLink Internet Gateway
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 06:11:30 pm »
The plugin simulates input on the TCC web page.  This means if the redlink enabled thermostats use the TCC webpage then the plugin should work.
Unfortunately this is just a guess unless someone else with a redlink enabled thermostat can give definite answers.

Offline Nameless

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 01:44:47 pm »
Do you already have internet access on your thermostats? I found that redlink is old tech now. Those units were replaced with built in Wi-Fi for cheaper than the redlink setup. The plugin works great without the redlink.
If your thermostats don't already have Wi-Fi and that's why you're considering the redlink setup, price out just getting new thermostats. The newer versions are a much easier install and are reliable with or without connecting to Vera.

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

Offline jambalto

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 04:35:20 pm »
Thanks for everyone's reply and insight.  I have three of these Prestige IAQ 2.0 thermostat's and unfortunately they are not native Wi-Fi which is why I was considering the RedLink Internet Gateway.  I'll have to consider if buying the newer style Wi-Fi is what I want to do.

Regards

Offline CudaNet

• Chimichanga !
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 06:42:27 pm »
@jambalto

I have a Redlink gateway that I use to automate my Mitsubishi mini-splits. I use the Honeywell TCC plugin (maintained by Mikee) and it's working flawless for me in openLuup/AltUI and for others on Vera. Redlink gateways are inexpensive ($80 or perhaps less now) and they support up to 3 thermostats (verify your stats are Redlink compatible). For those of us using mini-splits, we have to purchase the stat and wireless link (MHK1) and that's to the tune of $250 each.

Hope that helps, if you have any other specific questions feel free to ask..

Edit:
I forgot to mention that if/when you want to add more thermostats (Honeywell WiFi), the plugin supports up to 8 thermostats (a limit of the plugin, not TCC).

--CN
Thanks for everyone's reply and insight.  I have three of these Prestige IAQ 2.0 thermostat's and unfortunately they are not native Wi-Fi which is why I was considering the RedLink Internet Gateway.  I'll have to consider if buying the newer style Wi-Fi is what I want to do.

Regards
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 06:54:09 pm by CudaNet »
openLuup, AltUI, Zway and HomeWave, enough said...

Offline jambalto

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 09:33:08 am »
CudaNet,

Thanks for the confirmation on the RedLink.  I have verified my Tstats are RedLink capable and work via RedLink to my EIM modules.  So, I think the cost effective solution at this point is to get the gateway.  Yes you are correct they seem to be selling for about $75-80.  Great support here in the forum!

Regards