Author Topic: Alexa Echo Dot, Vera Plus UI7 adding new scenes in Vera not populating on Alexa  (Read 4077 times)

Offline nutshellml

I setup my Dot fine and it's working great.  Originally had 2-3 scenes that work fine, turn on goodnight, turn on kitchen on, etc.  I recently added some new scenes to Vera but Alexa is not discovering them.  Thoughts?

Offline JimWingard

• Sr. Newbie
I had to disable skill and re-enable it for it to see my new added device! I don't know if it is the same with scenes!

Offline regregg99

Finally got Alexa working by simplifying device and location names and then only selecting 5 devices.  However, when I discovered devices it came back with a total of 50.  The other 45 were actually scenes!  Is there a way to control which scenes are sent to Alexa?  In particular, I do not want to send my security related scenes up there.

Offline JimWingard

• Sr. Newbie
I would "hope" that when you tell Alexa to "forget a device" it will erase it from the Alexa server. It will likely be up to Mios to add a selection process for scenes the way they have for devices now during setup. That way you could select only "your" desired discover-able scenes.

Offline regregg99

How are people naming their Rooms and Devices in order to work with Alexa?  At the moment I have named the kitchen light to be "kitchen" (room) "kitchen" (device) to create a unique device name that I can remember.  But saying Kitchen Kitchen seems stupid, but how many ways can you say "Light"?  I tried "Light One", but it is difficult to remember which is light one and which is light 26.  Any thoughts?

Offline JimWingard

• Sr. Newbie
Here is how I setup my room/device names. I have a room called "The" that has most of my devices included, but I had to do a work around for some with longer names. Room names in "".

"Front porch" Post Sconces           "Front" porch Chandelier

"The" Fountain lights         "The" Fountain pump        "The" outside up lights   

"The" Foyer Chandelier      "The" main hall cans        "The" Crystal table Lamp

"The" Piano room cans         "The" Pianoroom Chandelier         "The" French Table lamp

"The" Dining room lamp           "The" Formal dining Cans           "Formal Dining" room Sconces
 "Formal Dining" room Chandelier

"The" Arch Chandelier       "The" Arch sconces           "The" Asian display case

"The" Bertha           "The" Mantel lamp        "The" Bookcase Leds        "The" Bookcase Rope Light
"The" Living room Cans         "The" Hall Display Case            "The" Curio Cabinet         "The"  Crystal floor lamp

"The" Breakfast Chandelier       "The" Kitchen Chandeliers        "The" Kitchen Display Case                                   
 "Kitchen" Over Counter lights          "Kitchen" Under Counter lights           "The" kitchen Cans

"The" Patio Cooking lights          "The" Patio Cans

"The" Theater Sconces         "The" Theater Step Lights         "The" Theater Cans

"Office" cans        "Office" Lamps

"The" Mud Room Light           "The" Mud room Cans

"The" Master Bedroom Cans      "The" Master bedroom rope

Online a-lurker

Offline hax0rmort

Here is how I setup my room/device names. I have a room called "The" that has most of my devices included, but I had to do a work around for some with longer names. Room names in "".

"Front porch" Post Sconces           "Front" porch Chandelier

"The" Fountain lights         "The" Fountain pump        "The" outside up lights   

"The" Foyer Chandelier      "The" main hall cans        "The" Crystal table Lamp

"The" Piano room cans         "The" Pianoroom Chandelier         "The" French Table lamp

"The" Dining room lamp           "The" Formal dining Cans           "Formal Dining" room Sconces
 "Formal Dining" room Chandelier

"The" Arch Chandelier       "The" Arch sconces           "The" Asian display case

"The" Bertha           "The" Mantel lamp        "The" Bookcase Leds        "The" Bookcase Rope Light
"The" Living room Cans         "The" Hall Display Case            "The" Curio Cabinet         "The"  Crystal floor lamp

"The" Breakfast Chandelier       "The" Kitchen Chandeliers        "The" Kitchen Display Case                                   
 "Kitchen" Over Counter lights          "Kitchen" Under Counter lights           "The" kitchen Cans

"The" Patio Cooking lights          "The" Patio Cans

"The" Theater Sconces         "The" Theater Step Lights         "The" Theater Cans

"Office" cans        "Office" Lamps

"The" Mud Room Light           "The" Mud room Cans

"The" Master Bedroom Cans      "The" Master bedroom rope

Question,.....did you spell your mantle lamp, "mantel" on purpose due to the way alexa hears it?

Offline Anitadot

Lazzah will field this one, but I would guess that playing in order makes the most sense. Its a four parter, isnt it, Lazzah? Together they make up a complete story.

Offline LibraSun

Thus far, during the beta phase of trying out the Alexa skill with my Vera Plus, she only sees my 10 devices, but none of my Scenes. Like most testers, I've been through the Disable / Enable / Discover procedures several times, so I really don't think the problem is on my end, so much as a "missing feature" in the skill itself.

Am gratified to learn I am not the only one with this issue. Any guidance here from the folks at MiOS?
Vera Model I running UI4 (Firmware 1.1.1338), died in 2015
Vera Plus running UI7 (Firmware 1.7.2935)

Offline MNB

General question to the forum, are any of you still get after you ask Alexa to do something with VERA devices, the ~8 second error message "Sorry Device X is not responding" followed up several seconds (seems to vary) later with the requested action finally executed?
Edge-1.7.2607, VRI06-1LX Dimr (6), VS05-1LX Sw (4), GE ZW3002 Dimr (1), HA01C Outlet (12), HA02C Sw (6), HA04C Sw (4), GE Sw (2), HA05 Sw (3), MiniMote Contr (5), HSM200/100 Sensor (2), ZW100A Sensor (8), Nest thermostat (1) & Protect Fire/CO (6) Kwikset Locks (3), F18918W (1) & IP3M-9 (6) Cam's

Offline Jeff D

• Sr. Newbie
How are people naming their Rooms and Devices in order to work with Alexa?  At the moment I have named the kitchen light to be "kitchen" (room) "kitchen" (device) to create a unique device name that I can remember.  But saying Kitchen Kitchen seems stupid, but how many ways can you say "Light"?  I tried "Light One", but it is difficult to remember which is light one and which is light 26.  Any thoughts?

I laughed when I saw this because I've been pondering the same thing since this came out. I did buy a Plus from amazon which was used and quickly saw how someone else had configured their setup. I found it interesting, but resetting the box and that all disappeared. I was disappointed because I didn't first take a few minutes to see what they had done and if I could learn any new tricks. After that I called the support number and asked if they had examples of different ways to configure things. They said no. I still think learning from other setups is a great way to learn some cool tricks.

I've name my devices with their room name (for uniqueness) and then something like "light" or "aux light", etc. This is really bad with the scenes and devices in alexa because it's a "alexa, turn on family room family room light" she doesn't do a great job with the longer strings of names for some reason so I usually get a I don't see any devices with that name in your profile. Ugh.

The "the" room from Jim is interesting but I do like to move things into their rooms just so I can find them easily when looking at my device list. I may have to play around with just having one room for the different types, so "alexa turn on light kitchen island", "alexa turn on light deck". Since these devices are required have unique names I'm not sure why a room name needs to be included when using alexa. It's like whoever created that skill overlooked device names are unique and there's no need to address it with a room. I think scenes are the same.

I hope the skill gets more robust so things like removing secure devices and accessor scenes can be deleted.

Offline Turrmoil

One quick question...
Once you turn on say the light via a scene...
how do you turn OFF the light via a scene?

For example:
In my scenario I have a receiver, a Blu ray, a TV and I say "Alexa turn on TV"
All is well and the scene called "TV" executes.

I also have another scene for turning all this off but tying to figure out what should I call it. If I call the scene "TV OFF" then is have to say:
"Alexa turn off TV OFF" which may be ok.
But the response I get from Alexa is "your device does not support this command" which I think she is referring to the OFF functionality in the scene.

How are you guys handling that?

Offline Nameless

One quick question...
Once you turn on say the light via a scene...
how do you turn OFF the light via a scene?

For example:
In my scenario I have a receiver, a Blu ray, a TV and I say "Alexa turn on TV"
All is well and the scene called "TV" executes.

I also have another scene for turning all this off but tying to figure out what should I call it. If I call the scene "TV OFF" then is have to say:
"Alexa turn off TV OFF" which may be ok.
But the response I get from Alexa is "your device does not support this command" which I think she is referring to the OFF functionality in the scene.

How are you guys handling that?
Unfortunately, you'd need to say turn on TV off if it is a scene.

The way I get around this is using scene naming like "enable door unlock mode". So you could say Alexa, turn on door unlock mode as an example. In your case, you could name the scene Enable TV Off Mode. It's a bit wordy, but it would be Alexa, turn on enable TV off mode. Drop "Enable" and leave "Mode" on the end and it sounds a tad better. Experiment and good luck until Alexa allows some additional phrases.

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

Offline Turrmoil

Cool Thank You.
I'm on the road but will report after I get back home next week.
That said, I also read a thread on virtual switches. Is that more complicated then worth it?