Author Topic: Allow "no change" for sensor arming in Modes  (Read 620 times)

Offline rge

Allow "no change" for sensor arming in Modes
« on: January 12, 2017, 07:36:26 am »
I suggest adding a "no change" option to the "Choose sensors to arm" part of Modes.

So you would have "ARMED", "NO CHANGE", "DISARMED"

This would be useful for sensors which are manually or automatically armed (e.g. based on time, or other sensors) and not based on the mode.

It also allows the "armed" status to be used more generically - currently it seemed to be very strongly biased towards security.

(An even better option would to add an "enabled" or "disabled" switch, but that is probably a lot more complex...)

Offline Mike Yeager

Re: Allow "no change" for sensor arming in Modes
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 12:18:46 pm »
Using PLEG, you could simply use the trigger for the sensor being armed or disarmed to enforce the state you wanted it in. I do that with several virtual switches that control different features around the house.

Offline rge

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 04:37:57 pm »
Yes, I did effectively that in Luup code to abort the scene, but it doesn't have any visual indication.

The "armed" status makes perfect sense for a motion detector; it's just annoying that Vera makes too strong assumptions about what "armed" means

a. armed is related to Mode

b. a triggered armed motion detector = burglary

Given how flexible it's supposed to be, this is a big annoyance of the UI for me.

Offline Mike Yeager

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 05:42:13 pm »
I don't know how flexible it's supposed to be but I choose to operate it as I want to. That being said, I can see where a "No Change" option could be beneficial, but then you'd have a bunch of people crying that they didn't understand why things did what they did. Unfortunately, it's impossible to make everyone happy....