Author Topic: Soil Moisture Detection  (Read 314 times)

Offline clippermiami

Soil Moisture Detection
« on: January 12, 2017, 01:58:01 pm »
I'm looking for a existing ZWave Soil Moisture solution to control my drip irrigation for the plantings in front of the house. My drip system has a ZWave Aeon Labs On/Off Relay to control a solenoid that opens the drip feed on a scheduled basis but I'd like to have a way to run it only if there is no enough moisture.

There doesn't appear to be an off-the-shelf ZWave device so I was thinking about a flood/moisture sensor. I have an Everspring Flood Sensor in the Air Conditioner drain line to detect if it gets clogged and the condensation runoff backs up. But i don't know if these devices will work with less than truly wet conditions, ie. moist soil. And is there a way to adjust them up/down or are the simply all-or-nothing devices.

Has anyone tried this and can offer some advice. At present I'm thinking about cobbling together an Arduino solution but i'd rather have a straight ZWave solution.
Two Vera Plus UI7 Linked via HTTP, 90+ Devices. PlugIns: PLEG, DSC, Blue Iris, MySensors,  AutoVera, ImperiHome, VeraAlerts, EventWatcher

Offline rafale77

Re: Soil Moisture Detection
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 09:58:16 pm »
I started a couple of years ago with plantlink. There is an app for it on the vera for the hub itself but is a zigbee device. The device type is a bit complicated to link the sensors to the vera plus directly since there is no support/device type so the app works quite well.
112 zwave nodes, 8 zigbee nodes, 231 devices, 17 apps, 100 scenes on a Vera Plus linked with Echo and HomeKit through bridges