Author Topic: Garage Door Opener Problems/Concerns Need Help With  (Read 634 times)

Offline swfire271

Garage Door Opener Problems/Concerns Need Help With
« on: January 14, 2017, 09:36:51 pm »
I have a VeraPlus controller with newest firmware of 1.7.2414.  I have a GoControl garage door opener.  On a few occasions now, it will say the garage door is open, even though it is physically shut.  I'm not sure when it gets 'out of sync', if it's when the door is physically opened or closed?  If I open the garage door manually/using the button in the garage and then close it, it will correct itself in the Vera app and be shut again. 

On another instance, I had it set to Night mode, and just before I went to bed I got notifications that the garage door was open.  It 'switched' from closed to open somehow, even though the door physically never moved at all.  I again had to open and close the door to get it to 're-sync' and show closed again.

And finally, I am occasionally getting a 'Node is Busy, try again later' message on this same garage door controller.  Usually a controller restart will correct this.  Otherwise it might go a few days with this message.

Any advice on how to fix this or what is going on in the first place?

Thanks!

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
Re: Garage Door Opener Problems/Concerns Need Help With
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 07:42:40 am »
Sounds like your device is marginally connected to the Z-Wave network.
Need some more nodes between the Vera and the Garage door.

In my case I knew the garage door was far away ... I used a sensor coupled through the Alarm system to detect door position ... and a WIFI (iTach) to trigger my garage door (via a hand held garage door opener) to open/close the door.

The alarm system has much better connectivity than the Z-wave mesh ... and my WIFI commands are bullet proof for commanding the door to move.

Offline swfire271

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 10:12:09 am »
Sounds like your device is marginally connected to the Z-Wave network.
Need some more nodes between the Vera and the Garage door.

In my case I knew the garage door was far away ... I used a sensor coupled through the Alarm system to detect door position ... and a WIFI (iTach) to trigger my garage door (via a hand held garage door opener) to open/close the door.

The alarm system has much better connectivity than the Z-wave mesh ... and my WIFI commands are bullet proof for commanding the door to move.

Would a zwave range extender possibly do the trick?

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 07:10:53 pm »
Most NON-BATTERY devices are the equivalent of a Z-wave extender.
(A Z-wave extender uses the same z-wave chips as your switch and plug, but do not actually control anything ... they just forward the signal ... which most nodes already do.)

It's best if you use an out of the wall Z-Wave plug as an extender ... then the construction material in the house does not lower the signal strength.
Then you might find some use for the plug as well!

Offline swfire271

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 05:09:11 pm »
Thanks again for your input.   I will give this a shot and eventually report back here with the results.

Offline twiseva

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 06:36:09 pm »
How did this work out - just replaced one of these and am having the same issues ...

Offline swfire271

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 09:48:23 am »
So far so good.  All I did was added an Aeon Labs range extender to the closest outlet I could find to the garage.  Added it to the system, then updated all neighbor nodes.  It hasn't acted up in over a month now.  So hoping that did the trick for good!

How did this work out - just replaced one of these and am having the same issues ...