Author Topic: Good thermostat with remote sensors?  (Read 411 times)

gwichman

Good thermostat with remote sensors?
« on: January 25, 2017, 08:09:30 am »
currently my thermostat upstairs is in a hallway and when the heat comes on, the rooms get VERY hot when the doors are closed at night (because the thermostat can't measure the temperature in there).

looking for solutions to this problem.. i've been playing with an aetoc multisensor 6 with poor results. at the moment it seems like it isn't updating the vera fast enough such that the vera can turn the thermostat off with my PLEG routines.

so i'm thinking about just replacing the thermostat with a model that supports a remote temp sensor of some kind but is also zwave compatible.

anyone have experience with either? either a better thermostat or successfully leveraging a sensor like this to accomplish it? any help appreciated.

bore

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Good thermostat with remote sensors?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 08:24:57 am »
You can poll the master device and after that the temp will be updated.
I have a post from today with the Temperature Container - you can use this device and I am sure you will be ok with the Aeon.
I use it and I use Virtual Thermostat with some modifications and everything is fine.

You can see here:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,42397.0.html
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 08:28:10 am by bore »

fitz2380

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 06:34:09 pm »
My son uses the ecobee3.  It does have remotes sensors that you can then use to set the thermostat temperature to, based on the remote sensors at a given time/day.  I know that he uses one sensor to control his bedroom temperature at night.  It supports zwave as well.  I would take a look at this, but it is a bit pricey.  We just hooked up his whole house humidifier to his furnace and his ecobee now controls the humidifier based on his desired setting, but also takes into account the outside air temperature and attempts to control it so that it does not create moisture on the windows.  We live in the cold midwest....

Mike Yeager

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 06:36:25 am »
I love my Ecobee3...

agoodman82

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 09:53:06 pm »
currently my thermostat upstairs is in a hallway and when the heat comes on, the rooms get VERY hot when the doors are closed at night (because the thermostat can't measure the temperature in there).

looking for solutions to this problem.. i've been playing with an aetoc multisensor 6 with poor results. at the moment it seems like it isn't updating the vera fast enough such that the vera can turn the thermostat off with my PLEG routines.

so i'm thinking about just replacing the thermostat with a model that supports a remote temp sensor of some kind but is also zwave compatible.

anyone have experience with either? either a better thermostat or successfully leveraging a sensor like this to accomplish it? any help appreciated.

I use my Radio Thermostat CT-80 and several Everspring ST814's to accomplish remote temperature control. I have a house with one-zone heating and like you, my upstairs rooms get very hot when the heat is firing frequently in the winter since my thermostat is located on the main level of the house.

Chrisfraser05

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 01:50:00 am »
Personally I think your are over complicating the issue here.

I had the same issue and I replaced all the TRV's in my radiators with digital ones, not Zwave or networked but with a timer program.
They were about ?15($20) on Amazon.

I have higher setpoints in the morning/evening, and lower through the day and at night.

The only rooms without a trv are my bathroom and the hall where the thermostat is.

Now when the boiler kicks in the rooms already up to temperature don't heat any further.

Going down the route of smart trv's in each room or multiple thermostats etc can very expensive and complicated.

I now have a very comfortable house without having broken the bank.

The only down side I have is if one room is cold for whatever reason but the rest of the house is up to temperature the heating doesn't come on automatically.
In my mind this is good, as I might have one room where I've opened the window to air the room.

If I decide I do want to heat the room though I ask alexa to "torn on comfort mode".

This is a virtual switch that when on sets my thermostat setpoint higher for two hours.

This heats the hall, bathroom and any room currently below the TRV setting.

FilthyBeast

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 12:18:28 pm »
I use an EcoBee as well.  You can have the sensor follow-you around and keep that room to the set temp or have it use different sensors for different scenes / schedules.  You can also have it use the avg temp across sensors.

Mine during the day averages the temp in my home office and family room to control the heater and then at night it uses the sensor in the master bedroom to control the heater.  This is all built into the ecobee and does not need anything done in Vera.

lingerba

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 05:47:00 pm »
I use ecobee3 and absolutely love everything about it.  I tried going the route with a zwave thermostat and zwave temperature sensors and have vera do the logic.  It worked okay, but the ecobee3 does it way better.  The plugin for ecobee and vera works great!  You can't go wrong with ecobee3.

TinCup

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 08:33:22 am »
+1 for ecobee 3 here, too ... love the smart home/away and follow me settings.   Plus it has a built in humidistat which is something my previous CT-100 was lacking.

It also integrates with the Amazon Echo so that's pretty cool, too.
Vera 3 UI5 | Homewave | Amazon Echo | BWS HA Bridge | PLEG/PLTS | OpenSprinkler | AD2USB | GE/Jasco | Schlage BE469 | Kwikset 912 | ecobee3 | SONOS + TTS | Aeotec 4-in-1 | EcoLink | Everspring ST812 | Remotec ZFM-80 | Evolve LRM-AS/LFM-20 | Hikvision DS-2CD2332 Turret | Dahua IPC-HFW4300S Bullet

gwichman

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 06:45:03 pm »
so after looking into ecobee i went ahead and bought one. i just finished installing it and then logged into vera to install the ecobee plugin. I entered the pin on the ecobee website to add it as an app. All that went smoothly.. but in the Vera UI the device doesn't look like a thermostat. What am i missing? it looks like some kind of generic zwave device with only one button - "get pin". I guess I was expecting basic thermostat controls.

Don Phillips

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 04:47:30 am »
Sometimes the device category or subcategory is messed up.  I have 3, identical z-wave switches, bought and installed at the same time. When added to Vera, all three were showing up as 3 different categories. Only 1 was correct so I edited the other 2 and now all show up as switches. Here is the list of categories: http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_Device_Categories 
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.919, 2Gig thermostat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, Vision door sensor, Insteon garage door control, Blue Iris for Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather

Mike Yeager

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 07:55:04 am »
If you haven't already done so, click the get pin button. Log into the Ecobee website and while you're looking at your thermostat on their page, click on the menu icon (looks like a person with lines next to it) in the top right corner. It will open up and there will be an entry that reads "my apps". Click on that and enter the pin exactly as it appeared in the vera interface. That will authorize the plugin to allow vera to see the thermostat.

Many of us are having an issue at the moment of having to go back in every few days (some are experiencing it more frequently) and removing the app from Ecobee's website and reauthorizing it with a new pin. There are people working on it and hopefully they'll resolve it soon. If you have questions, ask away. Welcome to Ecobee!!!