This is so typical. You spend days trying to get something to work that others do in 5 minutes, and as soon as you decide to reach out and ask for help... you somehow make it work. I managed to install ipkg on my synology, then libxslt so I could use xsltproc and now I have my house.items file
So, here are the steps I took, for any future linux newbie (like me) who is looking for step-by-step instructions. Someone may want to chip in and provide a more optimal way of doing certain things. I'm sure some of the steps I took were detours.
- Use SSH (or Putty) to connect to your Synology box
- type "cd /volume1/@appstore"
- type "mkdir openHAB2Scripts" to create a folder to host the ItemGenerator scripts
- type "cd openHAB2Scripts"
On your PC:
- In a browser, surf to http://www.synology-wiki.de/index.php/Welchen_Prozessortyp_besitzt_mein_System%3F
(it's in German, if you don't speak it, google translate does a reasonable job on this page
- Find your Synology model and copy the URL to the relevant IPKG package to your clipboard (or store it in a text file somewhere on your PC)
- type "mkdir tmp" and "cd tmp"
- type "wget <url_you_copied>" (it should now copy the xsh file into the tmp folder)
- type "chmod +x <package_file_name>" (so you can execute the script file)
- type "sudo sh <package_file_name>" (you will be asked for your password)
- type "cd .." and then "rm -rf tmp" (this will remove the tmp dir, since you don't need it anymore)
(if you want to check out what ipkg can do, type "ipkg --help", or just continue below if you don't want to bother)
- type "ipkg update" (this updates ipkg's list of packages it can get and install)
- type "ipkg list" (this should give you a big list of packages you can install)
- type "ipkg install libxslt" (this should install the package, giving you access to xsltproc"
- type "xsltproc -version" (if you don't get an error here, the package installed successfully)
On your PC:
- In a brower, surf to https://github.com/openhab/openhab1-addons/tree/master/bundles/binding/org.openhab.binding.mios/examples/scripts
- Download the files in the repository (README.md, miosLoad.sh, miosTransform.sh, miosTransform.xslt) to your PC
- Download WinSCP (google it, there's a portable version you can just unzip and use) and run it
- Connect to your Synology box and upload the files to the /volume1/@appstore/openHAB2Scripts folder
In SSH: (you should still be in the /volume1/@appstore/openHAB2Scripts folder)
- type "bash ./miosLoad.sh <ip_of_your_vera_controller>" (you should get a message saying "Metadata Loaded into user_data.xml!")
- type "bash ./miosTransform.sh house" (you should get a message saying "Metadata Transformed into openHAB Item file house.items!")
(I didn't get it, but you could get a list of duplicate items you need to fix first, don't know how to do this though, probably using WinSCP edit the house.items file)
- type "cp ./house.items /volume1/@appstore/openHAB2/conf/items/house.items"
And you're done!
I'm sure someone can comment and provide a faster/better way of doing this, but this is how I ended up figuring it out.