Author Topic: Controlling Ductless AC with Vera  (Read 440 times)

Offline aecchalet

Controlling Ductless AC with Vera
« on: January 28, 2017, 04:58:28 pm »
I am looking at ductless mini split AC systems for a new home that allows me to initiate controls that will keep my renters from wasting very expensive electricity. I have been spoiled by my Trane thermostat integrated with Vera in another home.  I have a script to turn on the AC at check in time and turn it off at check out.  I have been using the script (developed in this forum) that checks door and window sensors and turns off the AC if a door or window has been open for more than 30 sec.  The script also checks for motion detect via my motion detectors.  If there is no motion in any detector for 30 min (between 9 am - 5 pm), it shuts off the AC.  I use vera to set the lower temp limit (72F) so that renters can't turn it down to 68F.  My goal would be to gain as many of these functions as possible with a ductless mini split system.

Here is what I have learned so far:
Fujitsu has a motion detector on certain ductless wall units that will turn up temp (~8F) if no motion is detected for 20 min.  That is a nice start but that wall unit is only available with single zone AC units.
Mitsubishi has a similar feature on deluxe systems called "i sense" and these are compatible with multizone ductless AC units.  Mitsubishi has an option for a wall mounted thermostat for each zone.  I am trying to know whether door sensors (switches) can be hard wire to thermostat.

Has anyone integrated vera with any of the ductless units?  However, if I could implement door switches with the Mitsubishi units having the "i sense" feature, that would give me a lot of my desired features without even using Vera.

Any thoughts or suggestions on selecting the right ductless AC system to achieve these goals would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 05:10:55 pm by aecchalet »
Vera Plus 1.7.2138; 12xHRDS1, 2xTrane SCHTZMT400 Tstats; 5xZIR00, 4xCA9000 PIRs; 2xHA01C Recept; 2x2wy ZDW120W switch; 2xAppl (ACT, GE/Jasco), 6xLite Dim Mod (GE/Jasco, Evolve);  2xDead Bolt Schlage

Offline aecchalet

Re: Controlling Ductless AC with Vera
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 10:38:42 pm »
After some more internet searching I found this info:
Mitsubishi Electric system announced a new Thermostat Interface, PAC-US444CN-1, which allows its systems to be controlled by third-party HVAC controllers. Using the Thermostat Interface, third-party HVAC controllers can take advantage of a Mitsubishi Electric system?s innovative features, including INVERTER-driven compressors in the outdoor unit.
Has anyone hooked up a Zwave compatible thermostat to this interface?
Vera Plus 1.7.2138; 12xHRDS1, 2xTrane SCHTZMT400 Tstats; 5xZIR00, 4xCA9000 PIRs; 2xHA01C Recept; 2x2wy ZDW120W switch; 2xAppl (ACT, GE/Jasco), 6xLite Dim Mod (GE/Jasco, Evolve);  2xDead Bolt Schlage

Offline lingerba

Re: Controlling Ductless AC with Vera
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 08:50:25 pm »
I use this on my LG ductless system and it works great.  It shows up just like a regular thermostat in Vera.

https://www.amazon.com/Remotec-Z-Wave-ZXT-120-Extender-Conditioners/dp/B00CJBBYS0