Author Topic: Monoprice Video Camera Recommendations?  (Read 647 times)

Offline Sammy2

Monoprice Video Camera Recommendations?
« on: February 06, 2017, 10:59:42 am »
There's a today only 25% off orders over $300 at Monoprice.com and it seems a good time to buy some cameras and possibly a DVR system. I'm thinking of wireless and maybe battery operated (if they exist) to keep installation costs down. Any suggestions on surveillance cameras from monoprice?

TIA

Offline Sammy2

Offline Sammy2

Re: Monoprice Video Camera Recommendations?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 11:05:43 am »
So I picked up four of these. Let the fun begin!

Offline torodelsol

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 01:14:34 am »
Hi, Sammy,

How is the camera system working out? Do you have a Network Video Recorder? Other software?

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 01:12:21 pm »
Hi, Sammy,

How is the camera system working out? Do you have a Network Video Recorder? Other software?

The provided DVR software was being difficult to work out so I sprung for Blue Iris on my i5 Haswell with 16Gb RAM, a SSD boot disk and 20Tb of media storage so I'm using a bit of that space as a DVR. I am also using the Vera plugin found here to integrate them into Vera.

I've got two of the four installed and even bought another when Monoprice had another sale last week. The cameras work really well actually. I got a PoE injector switch from amazon that is working great as well. I've also done a lot of Cat 6 under my eaves to connect them. I got Cable Matters 125 and 150 patch cords because Monoprice doesn't have them that long. I'm now trying to get the motion detection worked out with Blue Iris because the two I installed are on the front of the house and I'm getting a LOT of false positives due to the sheer volume of cars passing by in the street in front of my house.

So far so good. I'm a little concerned as I'm not sure where the Vera plug in is putting the recordings and I don't have an external drive on the Vera Plus. I also found the DVR plug in but haven't had the time to look into that yet.