Author Topic: Feature Request: Winter/Summer support in house modes  (Read 424 times)

Offline sebby

Feature Request: Winter/Summer support in house modes
« on: February 14, 2017, 07:39:47 pm »
It would be great to have the ability to set different values in house modes depending on winter/summer.  Right now i have our phones tied into the house modes and everything works fine, but i had to create a bunch of Lua logic to set thermostats to heating or cooling depending on the season and the house modes.  i think this should be a native feature of house modes. 

Offline Don Phillips

Re: Feature Request: Winter/Summer support in house modes
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 09:17:33 pm »
I use the outdoor temperature plug-in to trigger winter/summer.

If the outdoor temp>65, then cooling is turned on. If the outdoor temp<60, then heating is turned on. Very handy in the spring and fall.

I also used PLEG to set both the heating and cooling setpoints for Home, Away, Night, and Vacation. Home is set 68/75, Away 68/75, Night 66/72, and Vacation 60/80.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.919, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Online rafale77

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 10:16:12 pm »
Would be nice but I have actually achieved this through scenes and some lua code:
I trigger the scenes depending on whether the thermostat is cooling or heating (it already is preprogrammed with set temperatures)
So I have one scene for cooling (summer) and another for heating (winter)

Then I run this code to change the mode settings for my vents (this is an example, my scene actually sets all of my vents at once):
Code: [Select]
local sID ="urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HaDevice1"
local hall = "1:N,100;2:N,50;3:N,20;4:N,80"
local hallID = 338
luup.variable_set(sID,"ModeSetting", hall, hallID)

http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/House_Modes
112 zwave nodes, 8 zigbee nodes, 231 devices, 17 apps, 100 scenes on a Vera Plus linked with Echo and HomeKit through bridges

Offline sebby

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 05:52:15 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I got all this working via lua code that i run at startup.  My phones automatically set the house mode depending on the distance we are from the house.  Then i check for winter/sumer and set the correct temperature.  I also have some logic in there for days when the temperature outside is too hot or cold for the current set temperature and the thermostats adjust accordingly.  There is some logic in there to turn off the units if the windows/doors are left open for too long.  What i am really hoping for is the ability to do this natively through Vera without having to write a bunch of code and the Winter/Summer mode would be a step in the right direction.  Anyhoo, kind of a pipe dream, but one can hope...

Offline XA44Owq26HxCq88

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 09:21:48 am »
I second sebby's request. Summer/Winter modes would be great. My window shades need to do things differently depending upon the season and that would be a great way of accomplishing that.

Offline Slartibartfast

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 12:39:23 pm »
Whilst I can see that modes for seasons could make life simpler in some cases, it does not provide anything that is not simply date coded in pleg or LUA anyway.
Home and Away on the other hand are needed as the scenes cannot by themselves decide if you are home or away. Is this just adding more levels of complexity.
You would still need scenes saying
home and summer
home and winter
away and summer
etc.

All that said, I don't use modes anyway so perhaps I should keep out of it?   ;)
Devon UK 240V 50Hz, Vera Plus UI7 1.7.2608, TKB dimmers and switches -single and double paddle, Swiid Inline, TKB plug in switched sockets, FGRGB-101LED controller, Sunricher wall controller, Sunricher RGBW Tape Receiver, TKB dual relay, ZRC-90-EU controller. Apps - Pleg, RGB controller, Sonos

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 05:46:25 pm »
I do not have blinds (yet) but I envision one day tracking the sun with the heliotrope plug-in, closing blinds when the sun is shining in a window to protect the house from solar heat gain, or opening up blinds in the winter to gain solar heat gain.  Others could be left open for indirect lighting, or closed to reduce heat loss.  But until I get blinds (maybe 2018), it is just a thought.

What I have done, using PLEG, is set the exterior lights to come on at sunset, and go off at sunrise.  But it does more than that.  I use the Weatherunderground plug-in to look at the weather conditions and will offset the lights on/off depending on those conditions.  For clear or partly cloudy, no offset - on at sunset and off at sunrise. For mostly cloudy, fog, or overcast, I use a 15 minute offset.  For rain, I use a 30 minute offset.

I already mentions the heat/cool based on outside temperature.

My other thoughts (when I get time to play with the logic) is to look at phone location and ETA to the house, and outside conditions and start heat up/cool down startup based upon outdoor conditions.  For instance, if it takes an hour to cool the house when 95F and 95% humidity, start to cool the house an hour before we get home, rather than manually.

Sort of doing that with Night Mode.  At bedtime, heating is set to 65, cooling to 72, depending on season. And season is defined as outside<60 for heating, and outside>65 for cooling. Does not matter what season it is, the outside temperature controls the heating/cooling mode. In the morning, heating is set to 68, cooling to 75.  And Vacation is 60/80.

So summer/winter is not something I would use. 
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.919, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.