Author Topic: Disable physically clicking for GE/Jasco Wall Switch?  (Read 810 times)

Offline budkow

Disable physically clicking for GE/Jasco Wall Switch?
« on: February 16, 2017, 01:02:43 am »
I want to disable the ability to physically click one of my GE/Jasco Wall Switches.  I want to be able to automate/remotely control it, but don't want anyone to turn it off/on in person.  Any way to do that?

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
Re: Disable physically clicking for GE/Jasco Wall Switch?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 08:38:39 am »
This is not possible with this device, short of physically opening the switch and removing its internal microswitches. Not recommended.

You will probably be better served by using an in-wall switch such as the Aeon Labs DSC18103-ZWUS Micro Switch with no wall switch connected to it.

Offline kev b

Offline Mike Yeager

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 04:21:57 pm »
I recommend Z-Wavers suggestion. Then you can use the switch elsewhere. Put the relay in the wall and put a blank cover over it...

Offline budkow

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 01:22:56 am »
Thanks for the replies, I think using the switch cover is going to be the easiest solution for me right now.  Didn't even think of that (previously I'd been using good old fashioned duct tape with a normal rocker switch).  Too bad there's not a technology solution, but not a big deal.

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 07:56:05 am »
I am thinking a PLEG action that turns it back on. My front porch light is set to turn on when the front door is opened, and turn off when closed - unless I have my exterior lights on, then the light is left on when the door is closed.

It can be further refined to allow the switch to manually turn off under defined circumstances.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline Mike Yeager

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 10:59:17 am »
My entry light is fully automated but I still have a switch so I can control it. Nice in case Vera is down for any reason. The light only comes on at night (as dictated by the day/night plugin). It operates off a motion sensor under the front entryway roof and goes on and off with motion. It also comes on when the door is unlocked (prevents stepping out into the dark before the motion sensor catches you. When activated this way, it goes back off after 2 minutes unless the motion sensor is active.

Online jswim788

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 11:54:12 am »
It's also nice to force the state of the switch to override whatever your automation is doing.  For example, you want to see the stars at night, so don't turn on that light with motion!  I set a timer to force the state for a certain period of time when the switch is operated manually and then it returns to automation.  But that's somewhat limited as sometimes I want it to stay off for many hours, and other times I want it to return to normal operation fairly quickly.  I suppose I could tell Alexa to keep it off for a certain period of time when I want this behavior.

Offline Mike Yeager

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 06:47:12 pm »
If I want manual control, I simply turn off the virtual switch for the automatic entry light. :)

Offline budkow

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 09:30:01 pm »
So just to clarify, the issue is that this switch is in the middle in a 3-gang box right by the front door.  It's easy to turn it off by accident (kids, wife, etc) which is what I wanted to avoid.  I ordered one of the plastic covers, will see if that is enough (likely it is).  The other option is to simply make it so anytime the switch is touched an electric current is passed to the person pressing it.  That would definitely stop it from being pushed. :-D

If the cover doesn't work, I may just have an action such that if it's turned off it triggers itself turning back on.  Didn't really think of that to be honest, so thanks do Don for triggering the idea (pun intended). :-)