Author Topic: Geofencing  (Read 4079 times)

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
Re: Geofencing
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 12:14:08 pm »
Make sure on the Android phone to set the following to improve Geofencing. (This will use more power)

- Location using both Wifi and GPS
- Leave WifI on when phone is not in use

Before those settings I had a lot of issues with the geofencing being inaccurate,
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline Jamr

• 007 Systems
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2017, 12:01:31 am »
We created a Instructional video on this very subject.
We love this feature as is works great.
http://www.007systems.com/blog--how-tos/vera-ui7-geofence-setup

Offline ember1205

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 08:41:58 am »
I've had very good results with geofencing on my iPhone for a couple of very simple scenes.

I set up a fence with my home at the center and a 100m radius. When exiting the fenced area, I have a scene that enables sensors on doors so that I will get notification of them being opened. When I enter the fenced area (coming home), it disables the door sensors and triggers the garage door to open.

Generally, things work well. Occasionally, there is a bit of delay in getting the garage door to actually open, but it works 99% of the time.

Offline aldiallo-Vera+

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 08:18:24 am »
I have had more success with the iPhone Locator app. I have it set to show us out of range when we exit my condo community. To save battery life, I only poll every 600 seconds. But my garage door triggers a scene to ping both phones immediately and every minute for 5 minutes. Vera typically switches to Home before I enter the house - most of the time. A couple of times a week, I will get notifications the man door opened (still in Away Mode so it reports a burglary). About once a week I get a notification of Dining Motion (I made it as far as the dining room before switching to Home). Many times, it switches to Home while I am still in the garage.

The purpose of the multiple pings is to catch us leaving and setting it to Away.
I used to use Iphone Locator too but since I setup 2 factor Authentication Iphone Locator stopped working properly.

We created a Instructional video on this very subject.
We love this feature as is works great.
http://www.007systems.com/blog--how-tos/vera-ui7-geofence-setup
I saw that video sometime ago but wasn't much of a help unfortunately. :(

Offline zedrally

• Black Cat Controllers & Control Systems
    • Black Cat Control Systems
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 03:16:20 pm »
Is there anyway of setting up extra fences?

I'd love to be able to control the environment much earlier than turning on the front lights and opening the garage door.
Living in the Land of Oz, give me a vegemite sandwich. Home Seer, Vera Lite & Edge, Popp, Black Cat Smart Hub & Vera G, Black Cat Lite 1 & 2's a Black Cat Dimmer or 2, then some  Black Cat Cat's Eye PIR's & Door-Window Sensors plus a Z-UNO or 2.

Offline ember1205

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 03:24:33 pm »
Is there anyway of setting up extra fences?

I'd love to be able to control the environment much earlier than turning on the front lights and opening the garage door.

"Extra" fences? Set up as many as you need. Define a center point and a radius of at least 100m for each one.

No idea what your statement means. What defines 'earlier'?

Offline zedrally

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 03:54:50 pm »
I have setup two fences on the Android Phone App, one is at 100M the other at 3km. (I would like to go further but the app doesn't accept any distance further).

In UI7 and using PLEG modes, I don't see any corresponding 3km fence so the problem is how does one setup the additional fence (S) in Vera/PLEG.
Living in the Land of Oz, give me a vegemite sandwich. Home Seer, Vera Lite & Edge, Popp, Black Cat Smart Hub & Vera G, Black Cat Lite 1 & 2's a Black Cat Dimmer or 2, then some  Black Cat Cat's Eye PIR's & Door-Window Sensors plus a Z-UNO or 2.

Offline ember1205

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 03:58:31 pm »
I have setup two fences on the Android Phone App, one is at 100M the other at 3km. (I would like to go further but the app doesn't accept any distance further).

In UI7 and using PLEG modes, I don't see any corresponding 3km fence so the problem is how does one setup the additional fence (S) in Vera/PLEG.

Fences are only useful for mobile devices, so you can only see them on the mobile devices. Depending on what, EXACTLY, you're trying to accomplish, you could create fences that are in other physical locations and not at your home.

For example: It's a half hour drive home from work, and you want to turn up the heat so that the house is warmed up by the time you get there. Create a geofence for your office and create a scene that triggers when you LEAVE that fenced area to turn the heat up.

Offline zedrally

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 04:04:34 pm »
So there is no way to create a 2nd (or more) Vera UI7 recognisable fence.

Using the one and only fence when leaving work is to haphazard as there are too many factors that determine the home arrival time.

Offline ember1205

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 04:07:29 pm »
You can make as many fences as you'd like...

Offline zedrally

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2017, 04:21:37 pm »
^^^
On the phone app you can set up as many as you want, I fully understand this.
Can you explain how do I do set up multiple modes that recognise these fences on the UI7 or PLEG?

I only see the 4 Modes on the dashboard. I need a 100M trigger for Home Mode and and 3km trigger (or better still a 10km trigger) as a user defined Leaving work mode. Simply put, I need to add extra Modes which are recognised by Vera.

Offline ember1205

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 04:57:10 pm »
You get four modes. Period.

If you want advanced logic using geofences, you're going to need to get creative on how you handle it with the mobile device and then possibly be able to allow PLEG to kick in afterward.

For example: Set up a scene that turns on a virtual switch when you leave work. Then, let PLEG key in on that virtual switch to do "something more". You could also have different fences along the drive home to trigger different switches and PLEG keying in on THAT.

Offline zedrally

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 05:08:07 pm »
You get four modes. Period.
snip

You could also have different fences along the drive home to trigger different switches and PLEG keying in on THAT.

We are not on the same page.

You can have different fences alright, but I don't not see any way of having those extra fences triggering any further actions. That is the crux of the question.

Can you please explain to how you would have extra triggers along the drive home as you described above?

Offline ember1205

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2017, 05:23:07 pm »
Create a fence around work. When you LEAVE that area, have it enable a virtual switch. Create a second fence "along the route home". When you enter that fenced area, enable a second virtual switch. When you leave that second area (you've now passed completely through on your way home), enable a third switch. Have PLEG fire off whatever it is you want done based on all three switches being enabled and then turn them back off at the end.

Offline zedrally

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2017, 05:48:18 pm »
I  do not see how you can create the necessary triggers in the UI.
I am able to create as many geofences as I want within a 3km radius but any attempt to increase the radius beyond this (3km) the App defaults back to 3km.

As far as the extra geofences created, can you show me where I find them or set them up in the UI?
in addition to 100MHome, I need one named 3kmTrigger. .

As I cannot find any reference to adding extra geofences in either the UI or PLEG (not to be confused with the APP) could you please help me with an example of how you did this.