Author Topic: Random  (Read 818 times)

Offline Chapin

Random
« on: February 18, 2017, 12:13:36 am »
How do I set up a mode or scene to randomize lighting?  This would need to run at night when the mode is set to away.

to give the house an occupied look.

Thanks.

Offline shallowearth

Re: Random
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 12:49:30 am »
Check out the plug in Deus Ex Machina II

Offline Chapin

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 12:52:43 am »
Thanks.  Looking now.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 07:50:29 am »
Or you can use the random timer options in PLEG

Offline Chapin

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 06:01:07 pm »
I'll check this out too. 

Deus Ex Machina II looks neat for Away/Night.

I don't think that it will do what I want though.  With my old HS set up, I could set up lights that we normally use to turn on and off automatically a specific, but randomized, times.  IE, living room might turn on anywhere between 30 mins before to 6 mins after sunset and turn off at a random time between 10:30p and Midnight.  These were lights we used and they turned on and off randomized times adn we could always turn off early or turn on early if wee needed.  This was nice in that the lights ran all the time, whether we were home or not.

The house had randomized programmed lighting, that ran whether we were home or not.

I'd love to be able to set this up with Vera.

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 10:09:11 am »
Your initial description of what you wanted is different that your later description.

Deus Ex Machina II does what you initially described. It aims to create completely random activity within the house to simulate someone's presence while they are away. It would not be suitable for use while people are home.

PLEG's random timer options makes it possible for you to do exactly what you describe in your last post. With it, you can randomize deviations to a schedule. For example, lights scheduled to go off at 23:00 will switch off anywhere from 22:50 to 23:30

Offline Chapin

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 12:12:05 pm »
Thanks.  Sorry, was vague initially.  I think I want to randomize some scenes, not run random lighting.

I will try Pleg.  It seems that  be the answer to a lot of Vera short comings.  I'm a little intimidated by it.  Just need to jump in I think.

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 06:41:39 pm »
Get this PDF - PLEG Basics - An Introduction to the Program Logic Event Generator

Start using PLEG it's not that hard and it opens a whole world of capabilities. there's also a PLEG sub forum and I doubt you'll initially think of anything that hasn't been already asked or done.

Offline Chapin

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 06:43:55 pm »
Get this PDF - PLEG Basics - An Introduction to the Program Logic Event Generator

Start using PLEG it's not that hard and it opens a whole world of capabilities. there's also a PLEG sub forum and I doubt you'll initially think of anything that hasn't been already asked or done.

Thanks.  This is going to be the secret sauce.  I can see that already.

Thanks!