Author Topic: New beta end user portal (controller list loading speed improvements)  (Read 2104 times)

Offline mcv.vlad

• Administrator
Hello,
We have launched new a beta version of the end user portal on https://nexus.getvera.com

The main improvement is the the decrease in load time for login and the the list of controllers.

If you have time please visit https://nexus.getvera.com and compare the speed with https://home.getvera.com

If you notice any difference (especially if it's slower) please let us know via the feedback form on the page or here (either as a message or a post).

Thank you for your time
Vlad

Offline marsx79

Re: New beta end user portal (controller list loading speed improvements)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 03:57:24 am »
I have seen there is a german translation for the beta portal: Remember username = "Denken Sie daran, Benutzername" is wrong.
"Benutzername merken" is better.

The speed is the same for both portals.

Regards
Marcel
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:03:28 am by marsx79 »

Offline rge

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 03:58:02 am »
I tried it - I think it needs some more work!

- overall page load time is absolutely awful, I mean for a login page it's really unforgivably bad

- please remove the focus setting on the username - I've always entered half my password by the time it fires

Login does seem to be a bit quicker, although still nothing special. Connecting to devices does seem to be noticeably better.

I had a look at the content, and I've never seens anything quite like it...

- everything seems to load sequentially - do you have some thread problems on your server, or is it the client side doing this?

- you really don't need the 900kB of fonts - people would be happier if it was faster and less pretty, and didn't chew their mobile data

- same with all the images - please shrink them, we don't need a 350kB image of a living room to make it work, or 150kB flags to choose a different language

Overall - classic case of overdesign - looks pretty, but no thought for speed or functionality.

Offline xben007

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 07:25:05 am »
I haven't noticed much difference. Just to double-check I benchmarked the start page. I think I understand this is NOT what has been worked on but since it takes so much time before actually logging in and tunnelling to our units, you should probably spend some time on this too. Nearly 2 Mo just to load a login page is way too much. Anyway, full analysis, tips and tricks for easy optimization here :
https://gtmetrix.com/compare/jWdkt52X/G4jLbZzY

Hope this helps...

Offline andyzzz

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 09:42:19 am »
Hi

I logged in from the Uk. The initial load page (dashboard) when you log in is taking a very long time. However, clicking through the actual menus is far quicker. So overall this is an improvement. If you could improve the initial load time (dashboard page) I would say this is perfect with no noticeable load time now which clicking through menus. It is lightening fast with less instances of having to wait for the page / devices to load. 

I am running the latest beta firmware and have a large number of devices. Probably much more than average so I don't know if this helps to demonstrate the improvement.

In addition previously I had issues with the webpage 'moving' on its own when I scrolled down to the bottom of my device list. It was irritating and this problem appears to have gone.

Thanks

Andy

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 11:16:55 am »
The secondary page with all my controllers loads much faster than the normal portal which is great.

For some reason it only shows the weather icon and temperature for the 1st controller and not for the others. Is that intended behavior?

Suggestion: On the advanced page, perhaps add a 'Back' button for more intuitivity? I know you can get to it when you click your name on the top right of the page and then Dashboard but that's more clicks and not as intuitive.

Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline tomtcom

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 08:46:17 pm »
I remember this from a long time ago, it never worked. It worked today and seemed faster than the regular link to me. That's about it.

Offline Aaron

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 01:50:34 am »
worked for me, and seemed faster... hard to say how much but maybe 25%?

One small suggestion that would GREATLY speed up login time.

Allow users to set a Default controller which the web site automatically takes us to instead of requiring page load and button click that wastes time.

Benefits are...
1. Faster load times for users that only have one controller (I suspect is at least 95% of your user base) or users that mainly use the same controller
2. would lower server load on Vera's web servers - I'd bet it would reduce page loads/requests by 40% or more.

thx

Offline markd

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 06:33:09 pm »
+1 for Aaron's suggestion about setting a default controller and skipping a page whilst logging on.

Offline mcv.vlad

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 02:28:27 am »
We are aware of the performance issues and other possible optimisations for load times. Most of the items listed above have been done and will appear in a future version or are in the works.

Regarding directly going to a controller - I will forward that request internally.

Thank you again for your time
Vlad

Offline sely

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 11:37:44 am »
massive speed improvement for me, approximately twice as fast
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 11:39:45 am by sely »

Offline Chrisfraser05

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 04:09:43 pm »
I'll try it again tomorrow away from home but my first impression was much faster to login then get transferred to local connection

Offline rge

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 07:32:03 am »
@mcv.vlad - are you going to provide an updated version for us to test?