Author Topic: Integrate wired alarm  (Read 670 times)

Offline Joe Sixpack

Integrate wired alarm
« on: February 24, 2017, 01:24:48 pm »
I looked around- and could not find....So thought I would ask- THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Very new to HA- but was looking to integrate old Brinks alarm- just want simple alerts when things happen.  I still want to keep the current functionality of the alarm as is.. I am not looking as of yet to replace the board.. Since really only looking to make a few easy (I think) tweaks.

So I purchased two ECOLINK window sensor and was thinking I could take the external sensor run in series to alert with the wired door sensors so I can get a z-wave alert? 

Additionally I was looking to somehow- go the siren and rig something that would use a window sensor to trigger the Ecolink- just to let me know that the Alarm is went off.   I was thinking somehow to do some trigger when the 12V current is set?

I am looking for the simplest approach for the simplest mind.. so anything you can offer to help will be much appreciated.

Offline Inzax

Re: Integrate wired alarm
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 08:33:39 am »
Not familiar with the Brinks system.  I am guessing the alarm panel is a particular make?  Typically these panels need an automation module or some sort of add on to interface with Vera.  Concord 4 panels required a Superbus 2000 RS 232, along with a specific type of cable. 

As far as running the ecolink, sure you can run it alongside the old wired sensor.  Not really blending systems as you know.

If I understand your next question right, you want an old wired window sensor to trigger the ecolink that is next to the wired door sensor. 

I caught myself thinking you should go to lowes and see what IRIS zwave stuff is on sale and just get a zwave siren, and window/door sensors. 

Linking with the brinks system is beyond my ability.  I pulled off the concord 4 integration.  Just not sure it is possible with the brinks panel.

I would not trust zwave/vera as a total security system over a traditional security panel.  (had to say it).  So, I would never tell you to throw out your brinks system unless you swapped it out with a newer panel....but then we are talking some dollars.

Good luck.  Sorry I was not much help.

Proud Member of the Epic Smite Thread.
Go ahead. Make my day.  Smite me!

Offline wadesready

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 09:58:28 am »
I looked around- and could not find....So thought I would ask- THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Very new to HA- but was looking to integrate old Brinks alarm- just want simple alerts when things happen.  I still want to keep the current functionality of the alarm as is.. I am not looking as of yet to replace the board.. Since really only looking to make a few easy (I think) tweaks.

So I purchased two ECOLINK window sensor and was thinking I could take the external sensor run in series to alert with the wired door sensors so I can get a z-wave alert? 

Additionally I was looking to somehow- go the siren and rig something that would use a window sensor to trigger the Ecolink- just to let me know that the Alarm is went off.   I was thinking somehow to do some trigger when the 12V current is set?

I am looking for the simplest approach for the simplest mind.. so anything you can offer to help will be much appreciated.

all you need is an electromagnet to hook into your alarm system.  when the alarm is triggered it will activate the magnet, activating the window sensor (or deactivating).  do ya see where I am going with this?  I have not tried it physically myself, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.  amazon has the small magnets.....

Offline Joe Sixpack

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 08:09:51 am »
Thanks all for the guidance so far..

Yeah @Inzax  I was thinking the wired sensors in serial(?) I can just plop the ecolink at the panel and it will report both via the alarm and the ecolink?  Have not tried it- but thinking since the ecolink allows external sensor so if I isolate the wires it may work since do not think the wires are powered for the sensor.

As for the alarm siren kicking off the other sensor.. that is where I am clueless. @wadesready I see where you are going regards the magnet.. But I was wondering if I can use a car relay 12v or something.. if the alarm siren gets 12v fed to it- can piggy back on this from NC relay to trigger the ecolink sensor.. again just prelim on research- probably pipedreams.. lol

Again- I know zwave not perfect and instantaneous for security- but just thinking gives me a potentially alerted if alarm goes off and I am away- and my neighbors do not call me :)

Thanks again all!

Offline wadesready

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 10:19:12 am »
Thanks all for the guidance so far..

Yeah @Inzax  I was thinking the wired sensors in serial(?) I can just plop the ecolink at the panel and it will report both via the alarm and the ecolink?  Have not tried it- but thinking since the ecolink allows external sensor so if I isolate the wires it may work since do not think the wires are powered for the sensor.

As for the alarm siren kicking off the other sensor.. that is where I am clueless. @wadesready I see where you are going regards the magnet.. But I was wondering if I can use a car relay 12v or something.. if the alarm siren gets 12v fed to it- can piggy back on this from NC relay to trigger the ecolink sensor.. again just prelim on research- probably pipedreams.. lol

Again- I know zwave not perfect and instantaneous for security- but just thinking gives me a potentially alerted if alarm goes off and I am away- and my neighbors do not call me :)

Thanks again all!

I think the internal leads in the window sensors can not have a current applied from what I have read.  they can be attached to any type reed switch and when the circuit is completed or broken it trips the sensor.

Offline Slartibartfast

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 10:31:08 am »
Mist window sensors have terminals for connecting to external contacts so the relay driven by the bell output should be fine and should easily fit into most alarm boxes.
Devon UK 240V 50Hz, Vera Plus UI7 1.7.2608, TKB dimmers and switches -single and double paddle, Swiid Inline, TKB plug in switched sockets, FGRGB-101LED controller, Sunricher wall controller, Sunricher RGBW Tape Receiver, TKB dual relay, ZRC-90-EU controller. Apps - Pleg, RGB controller, Sonos

Offline Joe Sixpack

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 11:38:16 am »
Good news I was able to connect the window sensor on to the alarm panel.. Now I have to move onto the trigger to kick off another sensor when the alarm goes off.. Or other solution.

Problem what little I can find about the relay- seems like 12v controls another switch or something. So got to do more search how to make this happen..  But so happy the sensor thing worked and no EOLR in the system.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 08:06:01 pm »
Why not gut your existing alarm panel and replace it with a DSC panel ... interface to Vera ... and all of your alarm sensors will be visible in Vera ... and you will be able to use Vera to Arm/Bypass your alarm panel.

Offline Joe Sixpack

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 12:08:02 pm »
I was trying to limp along with just adding a bit of functionality for now.  But point well taken....

Got the zone working now trying to integrate an alert when the actual hard wire alarm is triggered.

Not sure really what "extra" things need to be added or how to get to work with a EcoLink sensor..   I added picture of the panel and the diagram to see if any help can be provided.

If anyone can let me know what easiest, safest and most cost efficient to integrate.

All and any help appreciated.

Offline Slartibartfast

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 01:16:07 pm »
Not sure what you mean by 'integrate an alert'. If you have the sensor linked so that an alarm triggers the sensor then you have the signals you need. You can create a scene triggered by this sensor to do whatever you need.
Devon UK 240V 50Hz, Vera Plus UI7 1.7.2608, TKB dimmers and switches -single and double paddle, Swiid Inline, TKB plug in switched sockets, FGRGB-101LED controller, Sunricher wall controller, Sunricher RGBW Tape Receiver, TKB dual relay, ZRC-90-EU controller. Apps - Pleg, RGB controller, Sonos

Offline Joe Sixpack

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 03:28:46 pm »
well the door opens and closes and I get those alerts.. but wanted to get a distinct alert when the actual alarm goes off in the wired system.

Offline wadesready

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 05:40:47 pm »
I was trying to limp along with just adding a bit of functionality for now.  But point well taken....

Got the zone working now trying to integrate an alert when the actual hard wire alarm is triggered.

Not sure really what "extra" things need to be added or how to get to work with a EcoLink sensor..   I added picture of the panel and the diagram to see if any help can be provided.

If anyone can let me know what easiest, safest and most cost efficient to integrate.

All and any help appreciated.

all ya gotta do is wire an electromagnet to 4 and 5...put it next to your door sensor...and when the alarm trips, power gets put to 4 and 5, the magnet is energized and you will get a response from your door sensor.  door sensors can be configured for ..alert on open or alert on close.  in this case you want alert on close.

Offline Joe Sixpack

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 07:50:21 pm »
not to be totally spoon fed- do you of one or recommend one that I should buy?   

Offline wadesready

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 11:31:24 pm »