Author Topic: Echo Skill UK beta  (Read 1131 times)

Offline markd

• Sr. Newbie
Echo Skill UK beta
« on: March 03, 2017, 04:13:18 pm »
Just to get things started and broken out of the other Echo Skills Beta topic.

I see the latest forum post form Vera saying they and Amazon have identified the issue and are working on a solution...

Offline mcv.vlad

• Administrator
Re: Echo Skill UK beta
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 07:27:21 am »
I have personally given the invite link to a test UK skill to a few users from UK and they all confirmed it's working fine. On the next update ( see http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,48096.0.html )

Regards,
Vlad

Offline tony-park

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 08:43:40 am »
Hi,

just to confirm, clicked the link for the UK version of Amazon Alexa, and with my limited testing, we're seeing the expected scenes and devices in the Alexa app, and they even work as expected!!!  Woohoo, lazy times ahead  ;)

Tony

Offline Andrew

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 09:57:15 am »
Working in the UK for me too! Well...kind of - I speak the command and then there's perhaps a 3 or four seconds delay at which time the light switched on and at exactly the same time, Alexa informed me she can't communicate with my device. The same happens with switch off. It looks like Alexa is just a little bit slow in seeing acknowledgements :)
Nevertheless, this is progress!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 10:03:54 am by Andrew »

Offline nickb

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 10:08:31 am »
Yep I finally switched from HA-Bridge today (UK).

Works reasonably well, but

I speak the command and then there's perhaps a 3 or four seconds delay at which time the light switched on and at exactly the same time, Alexa informed me she can't communicate with my device. The same happens with switch off. It looks like Alexa is just a little bit slow in seeing acknowledgements :)

Yes, getting that a lot too. It's weirdly exact - I assumed at first it's just a timeout that's at the very edge of the total time needed in some cases (but: why?) but now that you say it's also working for you at the exact time the Echo says it can't communicate, it looks more like a bug to me (I've made my own skill so know a bit more about Alexa now, but who knows)

Nick

Offline mcv.vlad

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 10:24:47 am »
If it's around 7-8 seconds then it hits a limitation from amazon. We have 8 seconds to send a command to the controller and get back a reply.

Are you running the beta firmware ? If yes, please PM me with username, email, serial and device name / id to look at some logs.

Offline Quinten

• Awooga!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 10:33:45 am »
Installation was a bit clunky still (large uptake maybe), but after a little pause, I finally have devices show up in Alexa.  Won't be able to test yet until later, but it's one step further than the last time at least!
VeraLite - UI7 1.7.730 (was UI5 1.5.622) | 9x Fibaro FGD211 | 1x Fibaro FGS221 | 1x Fibaro FGBS321 | 1x Everspring SP814 | 2x Everspring AN157-3 | 2x Heatmiser PRT-TS WiFi | 1x Logitech Harmony Hub

Offline Andrew

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 10:55:53 am »
I think I was a little optimistic with my timing. I've just used a stop watch to precisely measure the delay. It seems to be 10 seconds +/- 1 s  for both turn on and turn off, with the apology message occurring when the device changes state.

Offline RichDC

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 12:57:36 pm »
It works flawlessly on my Fibaro Dimmers...!!!! Very Happy Now, Thanks ... :) I'm really going to annoy the household tonight..!! :)

Offline markd

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 01:47:52 pm »
Just updated firmware and installed new skill, which failed on the first go but worked second time around.

Devices found and groups setup and all works OK.

As per some previous comments there is a slight delay before the task completes.

Thanks Vera

Offline thetwc

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 02:59:18 pm »
Yeah, all good here.  Installed it at work and found the devices straight away.

A bit of a delay but I'm not worried about that.

Thank you.
1600's Thatched Cottage in the UK tricked out with Veras, RFx, and 30+ devices.  Homewave devotee.
Lite on UI5.  (1.5.672)   |   Edge on UI7

Offline Alexs

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 03:04:15 pm »
Upgraded the skill (was already on the firmware) it failed for me first time as well. However it succeeded second time. Make sure  you are logged out of Vera firmware before you do it?

I'm a UK user with a Echo Dot,  Vera Edge RFXCom talking to Siemens (JSJS triple relays)  & Homeeasy / Byron switches.

I'm bellowing (Brian Blessed like) "Computer turn on Office lights" and it works  (yes the star trek skill is mandatory).

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

My wife of course thinks I'm nuts.

Only two slight gripes,

1. The custom name entry isn't immediately obvious that its a text box & you just edit it.
2. If you detect the custom name and its already in the list then it looks for the old name when you use the custom name, you have to delete the old device & rediscover.

But both of them are minor.

I found the delay acceptable maybe its a network issue with Amazon. The light goes on after the Dot's led's stop dancing.

"Computer Pour the Vera team a beer!"

Thanks Alex

Offline darbey

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 04:30:52 pm »
Working in Ireland (U.K. Amazon account).

Would love to see a bit more customisation.....

With HA-bridge I had a "Heating" control.... telling Alexa to turn it on triggered my one hour heating boost scene, telling Alexa to turn it off turned off the boiler switch.
Similar with a device called House Lights.... telling Alexa to turn it on ran the lights on scene, telling Alexa to turn it off ran the lights out scene....

I've lost this flexibility which ultimately affects usebility too.

Offline adamhay

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 07:11:37 pm »
FINALLY ...got things working in the UK.
Skill added.
Devices found

Two minor observations.  In the Alexa skill itself, it still looks strange in the page you go to when pressing the Vera icon. Mostly blank but the button top right still shows "Enable" though the skill is enabled and working (same as reported before this update). Second, the URL in the email on the first time gave me a page not found error, but worked fine when retried

Still playing with various devices and scenes to try how to use it (dimming etc). Still trying to find words to use for all devices and scenes that it will recognise

Thanks to all who contributed reports to the forum to get it fixed. Thanks to the Vera and Alexa teams for finally fixing it

Offline markd

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 04:47:17 pm »
Hmmmm it was working yesterday but today all I get is "I couldn't find a device or group named dining room in Mark's profile"

The dining room group has a couple of lamps within it. This happens across all my devices and groups.

On the Alexa app all my devices show 'offline' in brackets after the device name