Author Topic: Schlage Lock with Vera/Alexa?  (Read 540 times)

Offline specsix

Re: Schlage Lock with Vera/Alexa?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 05:37:22 pm »
I was just reading the August connect documentation  - from what I understand for you to be able to unlock their door locks with the echo, you have to unlock WITH the PIN number.  Meaning you have to speak the pin number.  How is that any different than typing it in ?  (other than someone from a black helicopter hiding in the bushes like a Ninja with a microwave microphone).

I understand the lawsuit issue, but I will still repeat what I said - they did not think it out before making that policy.  Speaking the PIN number is a solution.  Maybe its a good policy until this evolves - I don't know.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 05:40:46 pm by specsix »

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 06:21:29 pm »
Yup. It's called a 'secure' skill. Seems Vera is working on one of those or adding that to the existing one. Still I can not see myself standing in the front yard yelling my pin code. I'll stick with the LUUP code solution and only allow Alexa to lock the doors and not unlock them. 
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline specsix

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2017, 08:35:40 pm »
lol.  I didn't see anyone in this forum advocate to talk to the echo outside of the home to unlock it.  If you are outside and want it unlocked, just unlock the way you always do without the echo involved.   There are several scenarios where someone would want to unlock the house, but I will just mention  three.

1) The front door is no where near where my family hangs out so when friends and family come over, it is nice to say "Alexa, unlock front door 1234" so my friends can come and join us in the theater room, but I cant say that - I have to say "Alexa, turn on front door" via  virtual switch, PLEG, and a scene.  Could I just do this with Vera and my phone? yes, but then we could do that with everything that Vera already does and makes all echo/vera related discussions pointless.  Might as well just get rid of the echo/vera integration and go back to 2010.

2) I have  schlage lock on the doggy door in the garage.   I want the echo to let the dog out so I say "Alexa, turn on doggy door", but it would be nice to say "Alexa, unlock doggy door" without a bunch of hacks or even entering a pin number for this specific case. Once again, not insecure because the doggy door never had a traditional lock on it anyways.  Its actually MORE secure now.

3) The family is running around on the property going in and outside of the house doing all sorts of activities and it would be nice to tell Alexa to go into a mode that unlocks all doors around the house.  I have this working right now with a scene called "relax", but once again with a bunch of hacks.

It never crossed my mind to unlock the house with the echo outside of the house :)

« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 10:28:27 pm by specsix »