Author Topic: Adding Window Covering Devices  (Read 568 times)

Offline rafale77

Adding Window Covering Devices
« on: March 07, 2017, 10:20:47 pm »
Just for kicks, I tested the skill. I was trying to see if I could use "open" and "close" commands to find out that the skill only supports scenes, light switches and scenes so Only "turn on" and "turn off" commands. This is no different than the bridge on this forum and actually in support of devices.

Hope to be able to open and close other devices.
127 zwave nodes, 8 zigbee nodes, 256 devices, 17 apps, 128 scenes on a Vera Plus linked with Echo and HomeKit through bridges

Offline Spudz72

Re: Adding Window Covering Devices
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 11:01:45 pm »
Just for kicks, I tested the skill. I was trying to see if I could use "open" and "close" commands to find out that the skill only supports scenes, light switches and scenes so Only "turn on" and "turn off" commands. This is no different than the bridge on this forum and actually in support of devices.

Hope to be able to open and close other devices.

I wish support for window shades would be added also.  I have some Graber/Bali Z-wave shades that I expected I would be able to use Alexa to open and close but no such luck since they are not even recognized by the Echo Skill.  Since they work just like dimming a light I thought they would work or should be easy to add support for. 

I have not tried the HA-Bridge.  Are you saying you can't use the shades with Alexa using the ha-bridge either?

Offline rafale77

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 11:59:43 pm »
I am using the ha-bridge and have been able to control them without any issues. Only problem is, since it is a hue emulator, I can only turn them on and off. I cannot open and close them which is the reason why I wanted to try the direct skill. The ha-bridge is faster than the skill and allows more devices. It also enables multiple aliases for a given device. Anyway... the skill is very far behind at this point.
127 zwave nodes, 8 zigbee nodes, 256 devices, 17 apps, 128 scenes on a Vera Plus linked with Echo and HomeKit through bridges

Offline John M.

• Administrator
    • getvera.com
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 06:23:46 am »
Hi guys,

as a suggestion, you can try to change the Category and Subcategory to ones used by dimmers.

http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_Device_Categories

and you should be able to use them with "turn on/off/dim" commands

Cons:
- changing category and subcategory will also affect the icon on the mobile app, and it will make it look like a dimmer.
- Blinds will also be put under the "All on/off" filter on your dashboard.

As always, create a full backup prior of changing anything, and if the behavior is not the one you expected, restore a backup.
John.M. ▾ Senior Customer Care Advocate
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION (Pacific Time Zone, UTC -8 )
Monday - Friday   12:00 am ? 06:00 pm
Saturday - Sunday   04:00 am ? 06:00 pm

Offline rafale77

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 05:50:48 pm »
John, good idea but still does not enable "open" and "close" commands and therefore the cons exceeds the pros to me. Any plan on implementing other commands? Same thing for door locks etc...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 02:52:39 am by rafale77 »

Offline John M.

• Administrator
    • getvera.com
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 08:38:08 am »
The problem is somewhere in between and not really something that depends on us solely.

Amazon API has a limited number of device categories and blinds is not part of it. So the only option for interested people is to work around it, with the added cons.

I'm sure this will change once the API is mature enough.
John.M. ▾ Senior Customer Care Advocate
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION (Pacific Time Zone, UTC -8 )
Monday - Friday   12:00 am ? 06:00 pm
Saturday - Sunday   04:00 am ? 06:00 pm