Author Topic: IP Outdoor camera that work with Vera UI7  (Read 2476 times)

Offline bobsan

IP Outdoor camera that work with Vera UI7
« on: March 08, 2017, 11:46:04 am »
Hi there,
 I'm hoping somebody will be wise and kind to advise me, which IP outdoor Cameras will WORK (motion and video recording) with Vera UI7 edge.
I tried Foscam and after 2 days of reading posts and tried everything ..outcome was that I can see the camera on my Vera but  no motion working or either video recording. Vera had Vistacam 1100, but it's not available for purchase for some reason.
Any input is much appreciated.

Offline Sammy2

Re: IP Outdoor camera that work with Vera UI7
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 01:45:46 pm »
I'm using Monoprice (Hikvision) cams with Blue Iris and the Blue Iris Plug in for Vera without issue. I do have a Foscam to install eventually but it will go the same route so I suspect it will work fine too.

Offline jdbowenvt

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 02:05:51 pm »
I've been trying in vain to get my Foscam FI9900P working w/ vera ui7 edge.  I've been using the instructions posted here by thxultra in august 2016.  I can't get it to work at all.  If you've got a method let me know.  Snapshots are all I need.  Thanks, JB

Offline bobsan

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 04:01:11 pm »
Thank you All for the input.

I'm selling my IP cameras and going for a Wifi NVR kit for outside. Separate system from Vera.
Don't think that I should get another master degree just to hooked some cameras.
Cheers All

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 02:50:50 pm »

I'm selling my IP cameras and going for a Wifi NVR kit for outside. Separate system from Vera.
Don't think that I should get another master degree just to hooked some cameras.
Cheers All

You don't.

IP Cameras
Blue Iris IP Camera Software
Blue Iris Plugin for Vera

Done.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 03:15:49 pm »

Cheers All

Wireless is going to be the problem. Wireless doesn't work so well to power it and reliability of wireless is much less. I also run Hikvision POE cameras on blueiris. I played with foscams many years ago and quickly found them to be full of issues.

Offline mtnmanallan

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 02:57:15 pm »
is the Blue Iris camera Z Wave?  Does the internet have to be up to view on smartphone if i am at  home and have wifi to my router? Does the camera need power from an electrical outlet? Any way to get 2 way voice to front door also? with the Vera?

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 01:37:48 pm »
is the Blue Iris camera Z Wave?  Does the internet have to be up to view on smartphone if i am at  home and have wifi to my router? Does the camera need power from an electrical outlet? Any way to get 2 way voice to front door also? with the Vera?

There is no such thing as a z-wave camera. Cameras that have functions your looking for are "IP cameras" or internet cameras and they come in wired or wireless. Cameras need power and betteries will not last so yes some sort of wall outlet is required. If your using a wireless camera you will plugin you camera to a wall outlet (I know this is not wireless) and the internet or data is sent over wireless threw you home wifi network. If you have a wired IP camera you either need to have a wired cat5e cable to your network and have power plugged into an outlet like wireless one or the better cameras have "POE" or power over Ethernet which means you can use a power injector or POE switch/router to send the power in the same wire (CAT5e) as the data is in. Either way power still comes from somewhere.

VERA is not a DVR or a great at anything with a camera. 2 way audio, viewing previous recorded videos, and many other options that IP cameras,DVRs and blueiris offer are not going to work with VERA. VERA is no good at being a DVR/NVR.

This is why many people have a separate Camera system with some integration in vera (motion notifications, start recording based on a scene, etc.). This is about the same with alarm systems. Altho vera thinks it can be an alarm this is just not the case and your better off keeping you main alarm system and just doing some intergaration vs. trying to use VERA for an all in one replacement. 

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 05:09:02 pm »
I also use Blue Iris, with Vera able to "record" stills, use movement to send alerts, arm and disarm Blue Iris, etc.  It is not real easy but if you read the manuals and these boards, you can get almost any camera to work on some level in Vera. As to the original post wanting full control of a camera in Vera - good luck. I found Blue Iris the best solution.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline paulmon

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 03:03:28 pm »

I did the same as others in this thread, use blueiris plugin, it has very mature camera support even laptop webcams are supported, the list is massive, so I have Blue Iris handle the cameras and recording etc, and Vera can accept motion triggers from BI.  Works a charm.

Offline BruceNH

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 02:51:33 pm »
I also use Blue Iris. It is very reasonably priced and easy to use. The big advantage is that you can use it with almost any camera. which can will save you a lot of money as you add cameras .
I have 4 different brands running. 3 of them are the Jooan Bullets. These are very inexpensive and work as good or better than the pricier ones that i have. I found it hard to stick with one manufacturer because I had different requirement in different locations. eg Distance, field of view. wifi/non wifi. fixed lens/variable lens, ptz, microphone etc.

So far, I am very pleased with my setup my only big issue is with the spiders that seem to constantly want to take selfies at night.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/JOOAN-2MP-Security-ONVIF-IP-camera-outdoor-HD-h-264-1080P-2-0-Megapixel-Bullet-CCTV/32332046563.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.LM0Cvr
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 02:53:09 pm by BruceNH »

Offline chilump

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 02:43:58 pm »
@BruceNH
Do you have motion alerts working with your setup?
Is there a particular guide you followed or settings you recommend?

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 03:13:10 pm »
@BruceNH
Do you have motion alerts working with your setup?
Is there a particular guide you followed or settings you recommend?

You can use the blueiris plugin or you can use a vitrual motion. I personally used the virtual motion. I talk about how to set this up here.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,23423.105.html

Reply# 106.

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 07:12:25 pm »
Virtual Motion and the DVR plug-in will help with Blue Iris.  I have 4 cameras, each showing up in their respective room, and a composite device of all 4 cameras in 1 device that I keep in my main screen on VeraMate. Makes for a quick look.  If you want a bigger picture, you can go to the room's camera.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline stevebus

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 09:32:28 pm »
Not to hijack the thread (can start a new one if I need to), but for the folks who use Blue Iris for several cams and motion detection, how beefy of a machine do you have?  I have 6 cams (two foscams inside and four hikvisions outside).  BI is running on a Hyper-V VM running on a Dell R900 quad proc, quad core server in my basement.  If I have motion detection enabled (and just record on motion), it runs at about 90% CPU for just those six cams (720p res).  If I turn off motion detection (and record constantly), CPU usage drops to about 35%, but I think my hard drives may explode :-)

I want to add two or three more cams, and I'd love to go back to motion detection, but I'm concerned about capacity.  Do other see that kind of load?  maybe I have a setting wrong.

What are others running on?