Author Topic: Amazon Alexa Home Skill Update (2) - with new invite links  (Read 17834 times)

Offline mcv.vlad

• Administrator
Amazon Alexa Home Skill Update (2) - with new invite links
« on: March 09, 2017, 02:56:16 am »

Sep 08, 2017 - We have released the official Alexa skill .
http://support.getvera.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2648086-alexa-user-guide
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 09:46:47 am by John M. »

Offline Ron N

• Love my Vera Plus & Alexa
Re: Amazon Alexa Home Skill Update (2)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 03:27:01 am »
will you be e-mailing us with the new skill? or a link in here.....
Thanks

Offline mcv.vlad

• Administrator
Re: Amazon Alexa Home Skill Update (2) - with new invite links
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 03:39:38 am »
Ill send an email to the beta group once we finish testing. The links have been posted for a couple of users to test.

Offline Ron N

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 03:59:53 am »
well that's good news tired the link got the skill back but unless it's really super slow it found no devices. So it's getting there...

Offline markd

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 04:06:14 am »
I clicked on the uk link above and installed the new skill.  I then went to the Alexa app and discovered devices and then tried the voice command to turn on the dining room lights.

The Echo responses that is couldn't find a device or group named 'dining room' in Mark's profile

Offline Ron N

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 04:08:02 am »
Just did the install on the US skill and all is back and running right so far. Even responded quick! Good job

Offline Alexs

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 04:25:11 am »
Both links install Beta US for me in the UK which of course means it doesn't discover in the Alexa page.

If you are going to close a thread can you put a summary & explanation in the child thread please.

e.g. Closed previous thread linky as the situation has now changed. but current situation as Vera see it XYZ.

e.g.
------------------
We had an issue X with both the US & UK versions on firmware 7.020 (previous versions not supported) caused by Y that meant we saw condition V . We expect it to be fixed by Z. We have tested in the US but would appreciate if someone could test in UK.

Closed previous thread linky as the situation has now changed.

I have asked 3 users to test the links above in US & UK. I expect to have feedback by 2pm UK time etc.

MC.
------------------

We understand you are under pressure but the more you tell us the less frustrated we will be. Just a view from my side.

Alex

Offline mcv.vlad

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 05:10:23 am »
Alex, I agree and understand and while I'd like to give you the rundown of what happened I'm not in a position to give an official statement. I can give my personal statement and thats that it wasn't something we controlled or expected to happen.

The invite links have been confirmed working now, i will send an email to the beta list.

Regards
,Vlad

Offline Styxman

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 05:58:16 am »
Used the US link above and it worked perfectly.  All devices were discovered and Alexa is receiving/executing commands.

Offline Alexs

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 06:49:55 am »
Thanks Vlad. I'm not looking to apportion blame in the summary. I would be perfectly happy with "an unexpected issue between our Skill & Amazon" or similar. Point is if you say the problem is in the boot we know not to bother looking at the bonnet.

Have tried it again, its still loading the US Beta skill but I can now discover lights again and my office lights are obeying my command.

Not sure what you did but it seems to be fixed.

Offline anthonyris

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 07:51:57 am »
Back up and running with new links. Thx.

Alexa... Engage...

.//A.
Vera3x2, Leviton, GE dimmers, relays and lamp modules, Sonos, Nests...

Offline tstolze

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 08:09:49 am »
Back up and running again....Thanks!
Although my Wife rolls her eyes as I find more ways to use the voice control, last night she came to bed and asked if I was going to turn off the lights throughout our home...I told her she would have to do it through the app since the voice control was currently not working.... I think she's starting to enjoy this option.   ;)

Offline jr4div2

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 08:32:58 am »
Not working for me.  The link is working now, but when I go to click "Finish", it seems way to quickly to give the green check and state "Done", but then I get the error "An error occurred while attempting to link Alexa with the external provider. Please try again later.".  I'm at work and not on my home network, but this used to work fine from work I believe. 

Offline becky

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 09:18:52 am »
The US linked worked great for me! Thank you!!

Offline Aaron

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 09:50:08 am »
Please post Skill for the rest of us who want to get our systems working again.

Alex, I agree and understand and while I'd like to give you the rundown of what happened I'm not in a position to give an official statement. I can give my personal statement and thats that it wasn't something we controlled or expected to happen.

The invite links have been confirmed working now, i will send an email to the beta list.

Regards
,Vlad

Vlad I usually don't want to beat a dead horse but the way this was handled was "Classic Vera"... wasting a good hour+ of my time, and many more hours of the rest of the community.

I reported this problem in the morning on the forums and via an email to yoru beta email address... the support agent responded quickly (which was a nice surprise) but they told me the problem was MY FAULT. They said I needed to install the Alexa Helper Plugin. Funny, that plugin WAS installed until I used your US Email Link. AND, how does that have anything to do with the Amazon Skill not being on the Amazon site?

SEVERAL problems unrelated to technicals...
1. Vera LLC didnt - test everything just prior to release to ensure all systems were working
2. Vera LLC didnt - monitor the forums for problems
3. Vera LLC didnt - immediately test said posted problems
4. Vera LLC didnt - immediately inform thier tech/beta support staff of the problems
5. Vera LLC didnt - immediately inform users there was a verified problems and to stop spending time on it, they'd be notified when it was fixed

Yup, CLASSIC VERA I've seen for 5+ years ... this is why Vera is losing users, especially the plugin developers which make the plugins that are the only reason Vera is competitive in this market, period. Without them, Vera has less capability then most other platforms.

We really want to love Vera... but the way Vera handles all things just makes it increasingly impossible.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 10:05:57 am by Aaron »