Author Topic: Amazon Alexa Home Skill Update (2) - with new invite links  (Read 17721 times)

Offline jelder67

Re: Amazon Alexa Home Skill Update (2) - with new invite links
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2017, 12:42:50 am »
I keep getting the "Failed" message when I get to the point where it is supposed to install the plugin.  I have retried to the point of insanity, I have tried rebooting my Vera 3, and everything else I can think of.  Anyone had a similar issue or any suggestions?

Thanks.

Offline hellovn

« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2017, 06:27:03 am »
I keep getting the "Failed" message when I get to the point where it is supposed to install the plugin.  I have retried to the point of insanity, I have tried rebooting my Vera 3, and everything else I can think of.  Anyone had a similar issue or any suggestions?

Thanks.

If I tried to include all my devices, I also got a "failed" message. However, when I tried to include a few devices at a time, it went through successfully.

Offline kadebross

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2017, 09:22:31 pm »
I can get everything to install, the devices show up on http://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html#smart-home

But when I use a voice command, all I hear is:

"Sorry, I couldn't find a device or group named "DEVICE NAME" in Kade's account"

I've gone through this multiple times and always get the same result.

Offline anthonyris

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2017, 11:18:43 pm »
After clicking the link and installing the skill, make sure you run Discover Devices from the Alexa app/web page.

I can get everything to install, the devices show up on http://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html#smart-home

"Sorry, I couldn't find a device or group named "DEVICE NAME" in Kade's account"

Vera3x2, Leviton, GE dimmers, relays and lamp modules, Sonos, Nests...

Offline Zoro

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2017, 08:40:38 am »
All-

The new skill works well but during peak times of the day I get "device failed to respond" and 2-4 seconds later the device does respond. I guess the Amazon 8 second rule applies. If the device doesn't reply in 8 seconds or less Amazon assumes it's not going to work. If I run the command for Alexa early in the morning or late at night the command finishes correctly.

Anyone else have this problem?

Z

Offline tomtcom

« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2017, 07:35:59 pm »
After clicking the link and installing the skill, make sure you run Discover Devices from the Alexa app/web page.

Yep, only on the new skill. The old one was rock solid and fast.
All-

The new skill works well but during peak times of the day I get "device failed to respond" and 2-4 seconds later the device does respond. I guess the Amazon 8 second rule applies. If the device doesn't reply in 8 seconds or less Amazon assumes it's not going to work. If I run the command for Alexa early in the morning or late at night the command finishes correctly.

Z

Offline mbenzno

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2017, 02:29:41 am »
I experience the same thing here in Norway from time to time. In addition my command to set the house in Home mode sometimes only partial run. It stops after the first couple of lights is turned on, but the controller is still in Night mode.

St1-R.

All-

Z

Offline jaredrs1

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2017, 08:02:03 am »
All-

Z

Yup. I used to get this on the old skill as well, but the newest version of the skill seems to have this occur more frequently.
VeraPlus UI7, 1xEcho, 5xEcho Dots, 2xEcobee3, 8xGE 12724, 4x GE 12730, 2xMYQ Openers, 3xGE 12720, 1xGE 12719 7xGE 12722, BlueIris, 5xVaried Cams, Tasker, AutoVera

Offline adamj3000

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2017, 09:24:40 am »
Hi all,

I have subscribed to Amazon Alexsa and confirmed the Subscription I got Amazon Alexa Beta: Participation Confirmed. I used invite links provided by Amazon and Link from forum (tried both) The Amazon Alexa Helper app was installed on my Vera Plus controller.
The problem is that Smart Home Skill is not showing on my Alexsa under Smart Home. Any advice guys?

Thanks in advance,

Offline ajwclw@gmail.com

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2017, 02:31:48 pm »
So Far So Good
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 03:11:03 pm by John M. »

Offline becky

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2017, 03:16:30 pm »
maybe it's just me...but I feel like this has gotten faster and more reliable in the past few days.

Offline Alexs

« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2017, 05:55:36 am »
maybe it's just me...but I feel like this has gotten faster and more reliable in the past few days.

I find wireless & Internet quality affects the speed. I am assuming the running led's is when its talking to Amazon & Vera.

I have a Dot in the Kitchen which is on the other side of a thick wall as far as the Router is considered. Moving it around has helped.

Offline MNB

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2017, 01:32:15 pm »
My experiences of late, this was my first time setting up Echo and install the VERA plugin with associated Skills;

I finally was successful in get the skills defined but I seem to have a little trouble getting the app and helper file to download properly on to my Vera without an error messages (I notice it whilst watch my Vera status at the top of page). It would download the app but I would get error downloading the Alexa Helper file, after three or four times of it trying to download (by its self) it finally downloaded however the Vera Plugin Installation page indicated "failed" even when I depressed the "Retry" button (bottom of Panel). Once my Vera indicated that it down loaded the plugin satisfactory (no messages) I again depressed the "Retry" button and was finally presented with "Finish" button.

I then went to the Amazon Alexa home page under the "Smart Home" tab I noticed that I now have "Vera Smarter Home Control (BETA US)" being displayed under the "Your Smart Home Skills" and after selection "Discover Devices" under the "Your Devices" it was successful in detecting both my Vera devices and scenes that selected whilst in the Vera Plugin Installation Skills. I noticed that it doesn't like hyphenations or pound symbols in the names.

I too have notice that when I ask Alexa to turn ON/OFF any of the Vera devices I'm presented with "Sorry, Light device is not responding" message then 7-8 seconds later the action is performed (light comes ON or OFF). Is this normally or is there something I need to do?

Also why doesn't the Alex Helper App create a device that one can see in their device(s)?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 01:41:59 pm by MNB »
Edge-1.7.2607, VRI06-1LX Dimr (6), VS05-1LX Sw (4), GE ZW3002 Dimr (1), HA01C Outlet (12), HA02C Sw (6), HA04C Sw (4), GE Sw (2), HA05 Sw (3), MiniMote Contr (5), HSM200/100 Sensor (2), ZW100A Sensor (8), Nest thermostat (1) & Protect Fire/CO (6) Kwikset Locks (3), F18918W (1) & IP3M-9 (6) Cam's

Offline MNB

« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2017, 10:55:57 am »
Question to the Beta users, I'm getting the sense that some folks are not getting the "Sorry, Device X is not responding" message followed with a 7-42 second delay with the action finally initializes (e.g. device comes ON or OFF ect.) is that true and if so what in your environment such as; connection speed(s) is there difference based on time of day ect. may be contributing to it?

Question to VERA beta development team are you aware and is there anything the user community can do to help minimizing the delay and when are you envisioning an update?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 11:00:46 am by MNB »
Edge-1.7.2607, VRI06-1LX Dimr (6), VS05-1LX Sw (4), GE ZW3002 Dimr (1), HA01C Outlet (12), HA02C Sw (6), HA04C Sw (4), GE Sw (2), HA05 Sw (3), MiniMote Contr (5), HSM200/100 Sensor (2), ZW100A Sensor (8), Nest thermostat (1) & Protect Fire/CO (6) Kwikset Locks (3), F18918W (1) & IP3M-9 (6) Cam's

Offline tomtcom

« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2017, 05:37:28 pm »
Question to the Beta users, I'm getting the sense that some folks are not getting the "Sorry, Device X is not responding" message followed with a 7-42 second delay with the action finally initializes (e.g. device comes ON or OFF ect.) is that true and if so what in your environment such as; connection speed(s) is there difference based on time of day ect. may be contributing to it?

Question to VERA beta development team are you aware and is there anything the user community can do to help minimizing the delay and when are you envisioning an update?

For the beta users, I experience this at random times. Since the new beta it was more frequent a month or two ago but has since normalized and doesn't occur that often. Vera dev says there's an 8 second requirement from Amazon so when discovering devices or performing an action if not in this window Alexa says not responding but the action can still execute after the fact. No one has stated if this is attributed to Vera's API/speed/interface or Amazon's system that I am aware of. I have the usual Xfinity setup with plenty of bandwidth at all times. The original beta was still far superior in performance in my opinion however you'll find dozens of other's that claim it was worse. Without seeing diagnostics or logging which isn't capture on the Vera I can't see what the delay was. I believe it's Vera's system limitations to Amazon personally.