Author Topic: Proper way to link two switches?  (Read 258 times)

Offline tadr

Proper way to link two switches?
« on: March 09, 2017, 09:46:51 am »
I would like to link two Leviton switches. Each switch controls a different local load - stair lights and hall lights. When either is turned on, I want the other to turn on. When either is turned off, I want the other to turn off.

I currently have 4 scenes (stair lights on, stair lights off, hall lights on, hall lights off) that are triggered by the stair/hall light switches getting turned on/off. For example, whenever stair lights are turned on, turn on hall lights, etc.

I feel like there should be an easier way to do this -- perhaps with associations.  Can someone point me in the right direction? I've never done anything with associations before.

Offline RogerO

Re: Proper way to link two switches?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 12:42:41 pm »
I did that using Pleg once. Not sure about associations though.

Offline shallowearth

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 01:40:04 pm »
Yes, you want to use direct association for this, that way it works, even if Vera is offline.

See this article on how to configure http://www.vesternet.com/resources/application-notes/apnt-19#.WMGg14WcHZs  (looks for Vera UI7 section).
You want to use Group 1.  You need to set the association on the stair switch to the hall switch,  then do it form the hall switch to the stair switch (use group 1 for both).

Side note, you might want to keep the scenes in place as a backup (if the swtiches are far apart from each other you can have issues)

This will only work if your Levitons are the Vizia RF models, the newer Leviton Decora Z-waves don't support direction association.

Offline wilme2

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 02:47:18 pm »
This will only work if your Levitons are the Vizia RF models, the newer Leviton Decora Z-waves don't support direction association.

Instant status and direct associations were the only reasons to spring for Leviton switches over cheaper GE/Jasco, IMHO.  Down to just instant status, I guess...
Long Live UI5!

Offline shallowearth

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 04:14:55 pm »
@willme2 I don't understand your comments at all.
Leviton makes two totally different lines and still make and support both lines.

The Leviton Vizia RF which support Instant Status and Associations
The Leviton Decora line which doesn't support either (and are much cheaper... in line with the GEs)

Since the posters didn't indicate what he was using it was unclear so wanted to clarify.

Offline ember1205

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 09:31:53 pm »
I've done exactly what you describe using scenes (like you did) and wouldn't want it any other way. Direct associations is more "permanent" thing and provides less flexibility for me. I have three different circuits linked together with scenes. Two of the circuits will cause all three to go on or off (depending) while the third circuit can still be operated manually without impact the other two.

Offline shallowearth

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 11:31:38 pm »

Either solution is fine, with scenes you can do things like time bound etc.  with associations it tends to be a little faster and not sensitive to Vera outages.  Just depends on your desires and reliability of Instant Status vs Association depending on your mesh etc.  sometimes one works better than others.

Offline wilme2

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 03:27:29 pm »
@willme2 I don't understand your comments at all.
Leviton makes two totally different lines and still make and support both lines.

The Leviton Vizia RF which support Instant Status and Associations
The Leviton Decora line which doesn't support either (and are much cheaper... in line with the GEs)

Since the posters didn't indicate what he was using it was unclear so wanted to clarify.

I misunderstood that will continue to produce the Vizia RF line-
Long Live UI5!