Author Topic: recommendations on ZWave lock?  (Read 781 times)

Offline lionelandjen

recommendations on ZWave lock?
« on: March 09, 2017, 05:29:03 pm »
I have a fairly old kwikset lock on one door, which I like except that it chews through batteries at an alarming rate. last set of cheap batteries lasted about 3 weeks until they were at 20%.  so now I switched to rechargeables! :)

I'd like to add 2 more locks on our house.

any recommendations?

Offline tomtcom

Re: recommendations on ZWave lock?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 09:54:58 pm »
I have a fairly old kwikset lock on one door, which I like except that it chews through batteries at an alarming rate. last set of cheap batteries lasted about 3 weeks until they were at 20%.  so now I switched to rechargeables! :)

any recommendations?

Wow, that's bad. I have a Kwikset 910. Batteries do just fine. I would suggest excluding the device and reincluding to see if that helps. Also with Kwikset, do yourself a favor and move the Vera closer to it. Unlike stupid me, I battled that lock from a minutia technical level only to realize it was achum's razor. :)

However, if I were to go to a new lock I think Schlage has good success with Vera and a few Yales have some noted problems in this forum.

So search the forum for what isn't working and go with the competitor. :)

Offline anthonyris

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 11:38:36 pm »
I have several of the the Schlage BE469 locks deployed. They work well, are reliable with Vera, have a "Thick Door" Kit (I have old solid doors).

The touchscreen is pretty nice, fingerprint-free. Most recent set of rechargeable batteries have gone 6 months and are still at 60%.

Also, has nice tapered bolt, which helps ensure alignment with strike plate.

All in all, does what it's supposed to do and isn't fussy.
.//A.

any recommendations?
Vera3x2, Leviton, GE dimmers, relays and lamp modules, Sonos, Nests...

Online mvader

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 11:45:51 pm »
2nd the Schlage BE469

Offline billjohn

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 05:41:28 am »
How did you pair the Schlage BE469? I have a BE369 and Vera does not have either in their list of Schlage locksets. Using the one other Schlage paring instructions in Vera, does not work. (Enter programing code, then 0). Schlage does not even mention Z-Wave pairing.

Online mvader

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 09:46:01 am »
How did you pair the Schlage BE469? I have a BE369 and Vera does not have either in their list of Schlage locksets. Using the one other Schlage paring instructions in Vera, does not work. (Enter programing code, then 0). Schlage does not even mention Z-Wave pairing.

I just followed the instructions in the manual IIRC. probably used generic zwave device in vera.
for devices that have security, like the locks you need to have the vera unit right next to the lock for the pairing.

Offline aa6vh

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 10:30:03 am »
Check your lock's polling interval. Sometimes Vera will set it to something like every 2 minutes. My two locks were set up that way by Vera, and I too was having batteries drain within weeks.

Increasing the polling interval to every 3 hours (or just turn it off by setting it to zero) solved the battery drain.

Offline Mike20878

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 11:06:21 pm »
Check your lock's polling interval. Sometimes Vera will set it to something like every 2 minutes. My two locks were set up that way by Vera, and I too was having batteries drain within weeks.

Increasing the polling interval to every 3 hours (or just turn it off by setting it to zero) solved the battery drain.

Forgetting battery drain for a second, why would you want to poll every 3 hours?  Don't you want to know if the door is locked at a given moment?  Or is that not really the purpose?  How would scenes work if it isn't communicating with the lock more often?

Thanks.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 12:38:26 am »

Forgetting battery drain for a second, why would you want to poll every 3 hours?  Don't you want to know if the door is locked at a given moment?  Or is that not really the purpose?  How would scenes work if it isn't communicating with the lock more often?

Thanks.

Polling is an old way of checking in on a device. Most new devices send a "I just locked" command to vera right when it locks. Polling is just away for vera to double check at a later time the status. Problem is polling a battery device means that the battery device needs to be awake. Which means more battery use and timing issues. Polling also makes the network busy. Ideally all devices just send an instant status when it changes and vera knows then everyone stay quiet until another device changes vs. vera continuosly going around asking everyone whats you current status. For one the chances of vera polling right when a device changes is next to none so vera would always be slow if it only relied on polling.

So where polling is good is if vera was down or not responding when the lock sent it the command. Then it would take another change of the lock until vera updates if it missed it the first time. So that means polling is a backup. But setting polling to something less then 3 hours is going to wear batteries out fast. 

Almost all my z-wave devices have polling turned off and rely on the devices to send a command only.

Offline Mike20878

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 09:29:10 am »
Ah, ok.  I understand now.  I thought it wasn't working initially but now it's sending me an alert every time someone enters their code or the door is locked.  I think I need to turn those off.  :)