Author Topic: Need help using Evolve LTM-5 in simple on/off scene for lights  (Read 211 times)

Offline Kurt73

Hello,

I am having trouble with a few Evolve LTM-5 controllers. Bought 3 on Amazon. (Now wishing I had bought the Linear WT00Z-1 units instead, they at least are Vera certified...LTM-5 are re-branded Linear but not Vera certified)

I have an LTM-5 paired to Vera Plus.  It is on the Vera device list as a scene controller. I named it and associated it with the room that has the lights I want to turn off/on.  Next I created two scenes. One "on" scene and one "off" scene. I am using the LTM-5 as a trigger and the lights are the controlled load. (Note: Lights are proven to work via manual trigger either directly from the device list or by making a manual triggered scene.) When setting up the "on" scene trigger the wizard asked what the button number is, the LTM-5 instructions don't say what the button number is, so I  named it #1. Same for the "off" scene, I named that button #2.

What did I do wrong? The lights do not turn off or on when the LTM-5 paddle is pressed either up or down? The green LED does flash when either button is pressed which according to instructions means it is transmitting.

If you have any advice or troubleshooting tips please let me know.

Thanks for your time.

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
Re: Need help using Evolve LTM-5 in simple on/off scene for lights
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 08:17:04 am »
The LTM-5 and the WT00Z-1 are, for all intents and purposes, identical.

The button name does not matter. You can call it "gefilte fish" if you want. The corresponding scene number is what's important and I suspect that you incorrectly set it to match your naming.

On scene number 255  -- Top paddle

Off scene number 0 -- Bottom paddle

Offline Kurt73

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 11:50:02 am »
Hello Z-Waver,

That worked!  When the UI7 generic setup wizard asked "which button" I used "255" for the "on" scene and "0" for the "off" scene.

Thanks for your help!

However, I have more questions. 

The manual that comes with the LTM-5 is 4 pages. No where on those 4 pages does it tell me to use "255" for upper paddle and "0" for the lower paddle. I assume that it is general knowledge and I should know it. Is this an industry standard? 255 generally = ON for the upper paddle?  0 generally = off the lower paddle?  ( I assume 0 and 255 are number of bits?)

Regarding the Linear WT00Z-1 vs the LTM-5.  The UI7 has a setup wizard for the Linear WT00Z. I also figured they were identical and tried to use that wizard to setup the LTM-5. It did not work. I had to use the "generic Z-wave" setup wizard for the LTM-5. So for me as a Newbie I figure the WT00Z-1 is a better choice?  I am also wondering if it has the option to double and triple tap so you essentially have three groups or scenes you can activate with one switch. 

Please comment if you have a chance.

Thanks for your time!

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 11:59:13 am »
The manual that comes with the LTM-5 is 4 pages. No where on those 4 pages does it tell me to use "255" for upper paddle and "0" for the lower paddle. I assume that it is general knowledge and I should know it. Is this an industry standard? 255 generally = ON for the upper paddle?  0 generally = off the lower paddle?  ( I assume 0 and 255 are number of bits?)
It's not general knowledge nor an industry standard. It is a failure in the manufacturers documentation based on their assumption that the controller vendors will handle the details. But, others have figured it out and the information is available in various forum posts over the years. Using binary zero for Off and 1 or 225 for On are not uncommon programming representations. But, why would a non-programmer know that?

Regarding the Linear WT00Z-1 vs the LTM-5.  The UI7 has a setup wizard for the Linear WT00Z. I also figured they were identical and tried to use that wizard to setup the LTM-5. It did not work. I had to use the "generic Z-wave" setup wizard for the LTM-5.
I can't speak for why the wizard didn't work. Generic setup is always fine, but depending on the device, there may be additional steps needed after the inclusion.

So for me as a Newbie I figure the WT00Z-1 is a better choice?  I am also wondering if it has the option to double and triple tap so you essentially have three groups or scenes you can activate with one switch. 
As stated, the WT00Z-1 and LTM-5 are virtually identical. I don't think either is better than the other for a newbie or an experienced user.

Another documentation failure is the fact that the double and triple tap features/options no longer exist in these devices. They only support one group.